Thread: MLB park factors

MLB park factors

ESPN current park numbers cite as of today, Target field IS
    6th in runs scored
    19th in HRs
    2nd in hits per
    1st in doubles
    2nd in triples
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 05-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Amazing what horrible pitching from the home team will do for a park's offensive statistics!

Home runs is the statistic that is most park dependent, I wonder how it ranks adjusting for Twins pitching.

Jeff

My take is if the visiting team is able to juice the ball here, no reason for the excuse making Twins to use the excuse.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how the Twins would do batting against their own pitching staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    I wonder how the Twins would do batting against their own pitching staff?
    That would be an interesting matchup. They would probably still just hit comebackers to the mound though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
    Amazing what horrible pitching from the home team will do for a park's offensive statistics!

Home runs is the statistic that is most park dependent, I wonder how it ranks adjusting for Twins pitching.

Jeff

Or the lack of power in the Twins lineup? Both have to be accounted for and comparisons need to be made between how hitters perform there as well as at home (edit: and it appears they do). Willingham, for instance has almost all his HR at Target Field if I remember correctly. Point is, though I'll have to check how ESPN does it's calculations, any park at which the Twins take half the at bats, it's going to be low....
    Last edited by Alex; 05-10-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Having a poor offense hit in a park won't necessarily drive a park factor down because they'll tend to hit poorly everywhere. The relationship between home and away production is the driving force, not the quality of the pitching/hitting.

Sample size is definitely a problem, even a full season isn't very good. 30 games? Pretty much useless.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Having a poor offense hit in a park won't necessarily drive a park factor down because they'll tend to hit poorly everywhere. The relationship between home and away production is the driving force, not the quality of the pitching/hitting.

Sample size is definitely a problem, even a full season isn't very good. 30 games? Pretty much useless.
    Snepp! Hadn't noticed you around here before. Welcome!

Seems about right. There have been some pretty good hitting teams in the park versus some very marginal pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestTwinsFan View Post
    They would probably still just hit comebackers to the mound though.
    Otherwise known as Revere-ing.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

Ha. Very true point (and one that always irks me about "park" factors). They should really only figure in visiting teams, and then compare it against other parks in that league. (There are probably stats that do this).

But while the Twins' pitching has been horrible, so has the Twins' offense, for the most part. So while are pitchers are serving it up for other hitters, our batters are also deflating those numbers because we have Carroll instead of Cano, Valencia instead of Freese, and Mauer instead of Wieters (ouch).

Also, the Twins are no longer a "left handed" team from a power standpoint, and I don't perceive this park being trouble for RH power hitters at all. Willingham certainly isn't struggling with it. And many of those early season numbers are suppressed by the cold, but we've had very good conditions in April and early May so far.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Snepp! Hadn't noticed you around here before. Welcome!
    I've been running in stealth mode (aka, trying to avoid arguments).