Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Inside Look at the Astros

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,137
    Like
    101
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    What's likely is that some jackhole in the Astros organization had a password of "password" or "mom".

    As rigorous as IT can be about security, it's still only as strong as your dumbest user and as an IT architect, you can only do so much to protect your data. Some of the responsibility falls on the users for not being idiots and doing things like sharing passwords between systems (a compromised password in one system suddenly becomes compromised everywhere it is used), writing down passwords on paper, or emailing sensitive information.

    On topic, asking for Bundy and Bogaerts for Norris is all sorts of hilarious. I can imagine that more than one phone call ended with "Are you kidding me?" before a click was heard on the other line.

    Yes, it sometimes does hurt to ask. Any good opening offer should at least pique curiosity, not outright rejection and laughter.
    It is usually a good strategy to ask for something you likely won't get, then "settle" for something that you want. However, as you point out, when the guy hangs up on you and thinks you are wasting his time then you may lose credibility and not get to that second offer.

  2. #22
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,114
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    It is usually a good strategy to ask for something you likely won't get, then "settle" for something that you want. However, as you point out, when the guy hangs up on you and thinks you are wasting his time then you may lose credibility and not get to that second offer.
    Yep. I'm all in favor of opening negotiations with a low-ball offer but those Norris proposals were insane. You have to start at a point where the other guy listens instead of hangs up and resumes playing Mine Sweeper.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Nice condescending remark about IT people.
    Well it was more a condescending remark about the quality of the IT people they hired, but it was pretty dumb of me to imply tech school IT people are subpar, I know they're not.

    I probably should have stuck to something factual and less offensive like, Texans are idiots.

  4. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (07-01-2014)

  5. #24
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,114
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Ell-Oh-Ell.

  6. #25
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,844
    Like
    179
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    What's likely is that some jackhole in the Astros organization had a password of "password" or "mom".
    a6b018255b32a09e2be317dffb1ab250.jpg

  7. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (07-01-2014)

  8. #26
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yep. I'm all in favor of opening negotiations with a low-ball offer but those Norris proposals were insane.
    These notes don't imply to me that a Span-Meyer style swap was proposed. The intent might be to see whether a mention of Bogaerts gets the expected response or a "well, not just for Norris, obviously" reaction that could lead to more. Obviously it requires some "touch", otherwise you end up with a bad reputation forever.

    As an experienced OOTP trader I can tell you that my best swaps often involve none of the players originally mentioned.

  9. #27
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    944
    Like
    42
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Marcus Stroman has to feel very valued by his org right now to hear that he was shopped heavily both at the trade deadline and in the offseason as a chip in a direct or three-way trade.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  10. #28
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Marcus Stroman has to feel very valued by his org right now to hear that he was shopped heavily both at the trade deadline and in the offseason as a chip in a direct or three-way trade.
    That guy just about HAS to get traded to Houston eventually, doesn't he? 'Stro-Man?

  11. These 4 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    JB_Iowa (07-01-2014), Riverbrian (07-01-2014), snepp (07-01-2014), USAFChief (07-02-2014)

  12. #29
    Senior Member Triple-A kydoty's Avatar
    Posts
    271
    Like
    2
    Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The clear lesson from this is GMs are calling around and asking for insane packages
    I had a dozen "Seriously you asked for that prospect for that player?" reactions
    It was video game dumb sometimes.
    You know that guy in your fantasy league who on a weekly basis offers everyone completely one-sided trades that no one in their right mind would even bother reading, let alone considering?

    The Astros GM is "that guy".

    "Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

  13. These 3 users like kydoty's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    diehardtwinsfan (07-02-2014), gunnarthor (07-02-2014), TheLeviathan (07-02-2014)

  14. #30
    Senior Member Triple-A kydoty's Avatar
    Posts
    271
    Like
    2
    Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    From the comments:

    [Nationals GM Mike] Rizzo called [Luhnow] to inquire on Harrell. JL told him we would still need a headliner like Giolito because we still value Harrell highly. Rizzo did not respond immediately.


    To be fair, Rizzo thought his laughter from that one could be heard 1,500 miles away.

    "Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

  15. #31
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,137
    Like
    101
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    From the comments:

    [Nationals GM Mike] Rizzo called [Luhnow] to inquire on Harrell. JL told him we would still need a headliner like Giolito because we still value Harrell highly. Rizzo did not respond immediately.


    To be fair, Rizzo thought his laughter from that one could be heard 1,500 miles away.
    I am sure the Nats would have been happy about letting Giolito go for Harrell. After the one good year, which I assume is when this discussion happened, Harrell has put up these numbers:

    2013 - 5.86 ERA in 153 IP. One more K (89) than BB (88)
    2014 - 9.49 ERA in 12 IP. 9-9 K to BB

    Giolito has 10 K per 9 and a 2.30 ERA in high A.

  16. #32
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    248
    Like
    16
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yeah, I am guessing the Twins were pretty gung ho on fixing the holes this off-season via free agency and holding onto all of their prospects for the rebuild. Also maybe this indicates that they did (and still possibly) view Pinto as the catcher of the future?.
    I assume they still are and that is why he was sent down. He was still hitting well when he was sent down just not getting time behind the plate. Just checked and he's only playing a little over %50 of his games at Catcher in Rochester with his other starts being at DH. Seems odd but I assume if they were going to pull him from catcher they would have him start working at 1B or the outfield.

  17. #33
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,382
    Like
    417
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Well it sounds to me that the only issue was not having the latest Norton Anti-virus to prevent the spyware that got into the system. I thought it implied that outside deviants were just easily able to get in. I didn't think anyone internal was to blame. Except for the programmers they hired out of the local tech school.
    I'm sure it's bigger than that. For one, Norton sucks. Second, this would be housed on a server and under no circumstances should anyone be accessing it and 'surfing the net' to get this type of spyware on it. That would be a fireable offense in any IT organization.

    I'm guessing this was more likely an insider leak. If someone simply hacked them, they had problems long before the virus/spyware protection on their system (such as default settings not being changed, really simple passwords, etc)... Lots more going on here.

  18. #34
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    944
    Like
    42
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'm sure it's bigger than that. For one, Norton sucks. Second, this would be housed on a server and under no circumstances should anyone be accessing it and 'surfing the net' to get this type of spyware on it. That would be a fireable offense in any IT organization.

    I'm guessing this was more likely an insider leak. If someone simply hacked them, they had problems long before the virus/spyware protection on their system (such as default settings not being changed, really simple passwords, etc)... Lots more going on here.
    That said, the login page to the entire system has been put around the internet recently to a number of people, so it wasn't exactly "secure" from outside entry, either.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  19. #35
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,382
    Like
    417
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    That said, the login page to the entire system has been put around the internet recently to a number of people, so it wasn't exactly "secure" from outside entry, either.
    Then no amount of AV software would have fixed it. They setup a portal and didn't secure it... dumb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.