Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside Look at the Astros

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts

Inside Look at the Astros

I thought this was very interesting from a variety of angles.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Wow. Thanks for the link. No mention of the Twins and Castro, which seemed like such an obvious idea to me last year/over the winter......since he'd still be good in 3+ years probably.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    I was going to post this too, Levi. Here's the mlbtraderumors link which consolidates some other sources.

Maybe they Duensing Rule isn't as far away from reality as we thought...no wait, it still is.
    Better looking with the lights out.

5. This user likes drunksam's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (06-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Fangrpahs also has a condensed version.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the link. No mention of the Twins and Castro, which seemed like such an obvious idea to me last year/over the winter......since he'd still be good in 3+ years probably.
    Yeah, I am guessing the Twins were pretty gung ho on fixing the holes this off-season via free agency and holding onto all of their prospects for the rebuild. Also maybe this indicates that they did (and still possibly) view Pinto as the catcher of the future?

Castro obviously wouldn't have cost some elite guy like Sano/Buxton/Stewart/Rosario etc, but chances are it would have taken at least one of the top 20 guys.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    The most hilarious part was them asking for Dylan Bundy for Bud Norris.

I guess it never hurts to ask? Maybe this is how the Twins got Meyer for Span?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

I thought Bogaerts for Norris was even crazier.

The clear lesson from this is GMs are calling around and asking for insane packages
    I had a dozen "Seriously you asked for that prospect for that player?" reactions
    It was video game dumb sometimes.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that this has to be the worst nightmare for an organization. Not just for the Astros but for every team mentioned.

The Astros have a lot of damage to repair because of this... The players discussed... the other GM's you've worked with... What a horrible situation.... I'd really want and need to know how this happened if I were them. You got to get to the bottom of this.

as for us normal Folk... Fascinating reading... I hope it happens again so I can read it.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 06-30-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    They've apparently called in the FBI.

But yeah, they are in damage repair mode and calling some of it total fabrication.

13. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (06-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can see from this why the Twins front office seems so closed mouthed about trade discussions and such. No player would enjoy seeing his name associated with most of these trade discussions. You know obviously that almost any player's name can come up, clearly part of a GM's job is determine who might be available and whether he can be obtained for someone not really in the long term plans. Still, knowing that your name is being thrown around like some sort of fantasy league deal, would be rather unsettling.

15. These 2 users like Jim H's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (06-30-2014), Riverbrian (06-30-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The clear lesson from this is GMs are calling around and asking for insane packages
    I had a dozen "Seriously you asked for that prospect for that player?" reactions
    It was video game dumb sometimes.
    There's the attitude that suggests that "it can't hurt to ask." But, imo, that just sours business relationships, because it shows not only a lack of respect but also seriousness.

The Astros will be interesting to watch in the following years.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 07-01-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    There's the attitude that suggests that "it can't hurt to ask." But, imo, that just sours business relationships, because it shows not only a lack of respect but also seriousness.

The Astros will be interesting to watch in the following years.
    Right, my impression from some of those trade talks was to wonder why a guy would pick up the phone at all. Especially to Houston given some of those demands they were throwing around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    That was great. It was particularly interesting that the Astros front office had info about other teams that I don't believe the media had. Like the fact that the rockies bid $62 million on Abreu and the fact that the Royals told them they expect their payroll to be $85 million next year.

Maybe that stuff was public knowledge but generally it isn't. I'm sure people speculated about the Royals payroll, but when does a front office ever tell their fanbase what their payroll is going to be going into free agency?

So either teams are freely telling other clubs about this stuff, trusting them not to leak it and not caring about losing any competitve edge by keeping this stuff to themselves, or the front offices have better moles within eachother's organizations than the media does.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-01-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

The Bundy thing, and Boagarts thing was pretty funny. I wonder if Terry is calling teams and making crazy demands for Kevin Correia. Corriea for Tavares?

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I bet every team is reviewing how they handle and store, and who has access to, player information.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I bet every team is reviewing how they handle and store, and who has access to, player information.
    Well it sounds to me that the only issue was not having the latest Norton Anti-virus to prevent the spyware that got into the system. I thought it implied that outside deviants were just easily able to get in. I didn't think anyone internal was to blame. Except for the programmers they hired out of the local tech school.

Senior Member MVP
    Nice condescending remark about IT people.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's likely is that some jackhole in the Astros organization had a password of "password" or "mom".

As rigorous as IT can be about security, it's still only as strong as your dumbest user and as an IT architect, you can only do so much to protect your data. Some of the responsibility falls on the users for not being idiots and doing things like sharing passwords between systems (a compromised password in one system suddenly becomes compromised everywhere it is used), writing down passwords on paper, or emailing sensitive information.

On topic, asking for Bundy and Bogaerts for Norris is all sorts of hilarious. I can imagine that more than one phone call ended with "Are you kidding me?" before a click was heard on the other line.

Yes, it sometimes does hurt to ask. Any good opening offer should at least pique curiosity, not outright rejection and laughter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast