Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 games

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    CF...I don't know who you target. However I would really really like to look to bring Ichiro in to handle the corner OF spot if Arcia can't hack it for now.
    The problem is a CF audition in the middle of July/August is a really bad idea for a team trying to make the playoffs. So you either target a hands down starter, or roll with Fuld full time, with the occasional sneaky good play like Parmelee yesterday or Santana, when match ups warrant.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    Andre Ethier might be available if the Twins are buyers near the deadline.
    He'd be a clear upgrade in RF, he's played a fair amount of CF as well this year.
    Not sold on him defensively. Not sure what he would cost in terms of players going to the Dodgers.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Hope to be wrong, but 5-9 sounds like a reasonable record over that 14 given how we've played the last 6...

This is exactly what we wrote about today. This was the point in 2013 where the wheels came off. How long can they remain average this season? Anything past this weekend will be an improvement. http://www.sportsfriendsmn.com/2014/...s-game-of.html

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFriendsMN View Post
    This is exactly what we wrote about today. This was the point in 2013 where the wheels came off. How long can they remain average this season? Anything past this weekend will be an improvement. http://www.sportsfriendsmn.com/2014/...s-game-of.html
    I think last year was a true case of smoke and mirrors the first 80 or so games, there are some large differences this year IMHO and it starts with the rotation. The Twins had nobody close on the roster last year who put up numbers like Hughes and Gibson. Correia was their de-facto ace.

The rotation alone is going to keep them from having the "wheels fall off", the bats have been silent as of late, which will surely turn around. Now, does this guarantee they will win a bunch of games and make the playoffs? No, not at all, but I also would be more shocked if they lost 90 games.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I can, I think I can!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    He'd be a clear upgrade in RF, he's played a fair amount of CF as well this year.
    Not sold on him defensively. Not sure what he would cost in terms of players going to the Dodgers.
    Since they took Drew off of our hands last year....Chris Herrmann and Eric Fryer?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the key to making a run is Santana comming back and playing solid CF and hitting close to .300. Joe Mauer hitting like yester year not earlier this year. If those 2 things happen and Arcia has both good and bad streaks we can live with that. Willingham is solid and Morales will improve as the season wears on. we just finished a stretch without a few offensive pieces and against better competition. we are facing weaker competition right now meaning if we are to be competitive we need a big July.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Waiting the 14 games to see what happened makes a lot of sense. Best case scenarios (because lesser cases isn't worth discussing) is 9-10 wins. But then what? Anybody worthy of being classified as an impact player will be expensive (in prospects). If all of the top ten are "off-the-block", forget about anybody any good coming over. Adding a "low cost, veteran" has been tried many times and will be judged hashly. Add no one?--is even worse.
    The "half-in, half-out" mentality makes no sense.

I'm going to say 9-5 or 8-6. But they could easily go 5-9 or 4-10. They're getting healthy. I think it all hinges on what pitching staff shows up. The one that pitched against the Blue Jays, Tigers, Red Sox and White Sox, or the one that pitched against the Angels and the first 2 games against the Rangers.

Gibson got it off to a good start yesterday, hopefully it will continue for the next 2 weeks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts

No way on Ethier, unless the Dodgers are willing to eat at least 75% of that contract.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 95 Times in 53 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everything, for me, keys around getting Santana back. Plouffe really helps too, but I see him struggling for 7-10 days until he gets his timing back. 7-7 would be a miracle-5-9 more likely.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Waiting the 14 games to see what happened makes a lot of sense. Best case scenarios (because lesser cases isn't worth discussing) is 9-10 wins. But then what? Anybody worthy of being classified as an impact player will be expensive (in prospects). If all of the top ten are "off-the-block", forget about anybody any good coming over. Adding a "low cost, veteran" has been tried many times and will be judged hashly. Add no one?--is even worse.
    The "half-in, half-out" mentality makes no sense.
    Just a few low cost options. Emilio Bonifacio, Will Venable, Drew Stubbs, Marlon Byrd These guys could play some CF and be solid bench bats. And they wont cost much in salary or commitment. I see our biggest need as a bench bat/ CF. Our other needs look like they can be solved internally.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-30-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,356 Posts
    I'm still on the "under" 72.5 wins at season's end. Playoff talk is pretty optomistic, IMO, regardless what happens over these next 14 games.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good thread! And once again, just too many good and interesting comments and opinions to copy and paste them all. So going to just try to hit on some of them randomly.

I love this version of the Twins. There is a completely different level of play and contention, a different vibe from the team if you will, from the past three year's teams. I think a lot of it is Hughes and Gibson. But it's also Plouffe and Escobar and Dozier and Santana and Suzuki as well. Even glimpses here and there from others. But I don't feel this team is a real playoff contending team this year. And I'm the eternal optimist! Lol.

Now, with nobody running away with the Central, and a second wild card, could we be? Yes. Personally, before the season began, and even now, when I talk about the Twins winning, it's about being competitive daily, which we have been. Even on our recent road losing streak, disappointing as it was, we held our own most games, were in all games, and had a shot to win because we didn't give up, and were competitive. That's important! How many blowouts and games over after 3-4 innings have we endured the past three years? So to me, personally, winning is about competitiveness, building, re-tooling, and aiming for that .500 mark this year. Maybe even a couple games over .500 which would be huge. And if that puts in contention, so much the better.

There are holes with this team, absolutely. Some are part of a natural progress of a rebuild. Some are poor decisions made by the FO, miscalculations or other. Overall, the biggest problem this team has faced in inconsistencies from series to series, week to week. Now, some of that can be traced to those holes. Some of it can be traced to young players, or players new to the team or league. But I think one of the biggest problems this season, in regard to said inconsistency, has been the injury bugaboo.

Look, I'm not going to excuse the FO for a lack of planning for at least ONE viable, so-so ML caliber OF'er being available, but who could have anticipated Willingham, Arcia, Hicks and Fuld all being injured at the same time? Likewise, I still think the Twins made a major mistake in not promoting Romero when Plouffe went down, and messing with Escobar for the past two weeks. But again, who could see Plouffe, Nunez and Santana all being injured simultaneously?

You CAN'T depend on luck in sports, and yet, every single team everywhere does. You can build depth in your team, regardless of the sport, and injuries happen everywhere, but starters are starters for a reason. And every single successful team generally has one thing in common, that is, the majority of their starters do just that...start. I am NOT saying the Twins would lead the division today, or be 2-3 games above the .500 mark...BUT...how many games better might they be with Willingham healthy most of the first half? Or Arcia, even with his streaky-ness? Or with Plouffe and Escobar and Santana not being injured recently? 2 games better? 3-4-5? Not sure it can be quantified properly, but don't tell me they wouldn't be better by at least a few games with better health and stability in the daily lineup. (Not to mention some imposter/body-snatcher pretending to be Joe Mauer who has recently been replaced by the real Joe Mauer.

Along with health and a resurgence of Mr. Joe Mauer, I think Dave really hit some key points very well.

Hughes, Gibson and yes, Correia, need to continue what they've done so far. And there is no good reason to believe they won't at this point. But Nolasco, a talented, solid and proven veteran needs to figure something out and step forward. Pino and Deduno, it appears, may both be nothing more than replacement level. And in that case, May could go a long way to determining the depth of our rotation. (This not to discount Meyer, Darnell or even Johnson)

I hate to put too much pressure on, or too much faith in, a youngster like Santana, but in reality, the kid has been a catalyst and maybe the biggest surprise so far this season. He brings a real spark and some real offensive talent. I pray his injury heals quickly, and he doesn't get Rusty or lose the magic.

As far as being buyers and making a trade to bring someone in, I have mixed feelings. Despite the overall short-comings in CF, I'd be very cautious. I simply wouldn't trade any important prospects at this juncture. However...it's an area that must be addressed next offseason, probably in FA. The reality is that Buxton will probably not be ready day 1, even if gets a strong second half in, and some quality AFL or winter ball. You simply can't go in to next season banking on him being immediately ready. Been there, done that, got burned. Even if Soriano continues to play well, gets a AAA call up, plays well, maybe even in a September call up and a good AFL or winter himself, and even if you re-sign Fuld, the Twins simply HAVE to come up with another solid CF/4th OF option to compete and provide depth/options. (Even with Santana as an option of sorts). So if there is someone out there than can be acquired now without a big payout, well, then you have addressed that need early and more power to us.

As far as the next 2 weeks before the All Star break, I just don't know. But this streaky team is due. 10-4 is possible but doubtful. But I do think 8-6 is very reasonable. Again, we're due, Plouffe is back, Mauer is hitting better, the pen has been on a recent roll, and Escobar is back where he belongs.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    And every single successful team generally has one thing in common, that is, the majority of their starters do just that...start. I am NOT saying the Twins would lead the division today, or be 2-3 games above the .500 mark...BUT...how many games better might they be with Willingham healthy most of the first half?
    The Twins haven't been unlucky with injuries. They're middle of the pack.

It's simply a mistake to cite this as the team's problem.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The rotation alone is going to keep them from having the "wheels fall off", the bats have been silent as of late, which will surely turn around.
    Will it? They've had two 5 game losing streaks just in June.

I agree a couple of bats might come around but there are plenty of holes in this lineup still, esp. if they get the injury bug again.

I think pieces from the ML roster could be traded whether the Twins are a buyer or a seller. Pretty much anyone in the bullpen, any outfielder not named Arcia, and in the infield there are options as well (Nuñez, Escobar, Plouffe should all be considered). Don't necessarily have to trade a prospect to get a player back.

Depending on what other teams are looking to add, the Twins might have something to offer. It's still a couple weeks away, but I expect that there are already teams calling the Twins front office and vice versa.

Question for the group - is there one position in the organization that seems deep? Like could the Twins deal a minor league Reliever or Middle infielder or corner outfielder and still have a fair number of prospects coming up behind that player? What about catching prospects? The Twins have several guys in the low minors that are promising - Mitch Garver, Navaretto, Stuart Turner... If you're the Twins, what would you be willing to part with to improve this year's team?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    If you're the Twins, what would you be willing to part with to improve this year's team?
    For my money, not a damn thing. I want them to improve next year's team and the year after. I'm not trading prospects, no matter how fringy, to improve this year's dumpster fire. We knew this team was going to struggle coming into the season, the fact that they surprised us for three months was nice, but they're back to meeting expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    For my money, not a damn thing. I want them to improve next year's team and the year after. I'm not trading prospects, no matter how fringy, to improve this year's dumpster fire. We knew this team was going to struggle coming into the season, the fact that they surprised us for three months was nice, but they're back to meeting expectations.
    Yes - that's why I think the Twins should be looking at players on their current 25-Man roster, deciding which ones will definitely not be a part of 2015, and then try to get something back for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast