Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Article: Joe Mauer, Michael Bradley and the Problem with Artistic Athletes

  1. #1

    Article: Joe Mauer, Michael Bradley and the Problem with Artistic Athletes

    Peanuts From Heaven

  2. #2
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    22
    Like
    4
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was hoping, assuming really, that Twins Daily would be the one sports media outlet I could turn to without having to be confronted by the soccer cup tournament. Alas, not only does Joe Mauer not hit enough home runs, but has now somehow managed to invite ball-kick commentary to a baseball website.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    275
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    While we were scoring a lot of runs with Mauer slumping I feared the day that Mauer started hitting and everyone else slumped. Its a team game and Mauer hitting well makes up for one or two guys reverting to form but not several guys.

  4. #4
    I don't think Mauer problem is that of style as much as a decline in proformance. By the time he was 26, he had 3 batting titles and an MVP award and was a top 10 MLB player. Over the next five years he dropped to a top 30 player which isn't bad, but not at the expectations he had set. And this year, he not even the best player on a team that will lose close to 90 games.

  5. #5
    Spot on. Nuance doesn't excite people, but it's necessary.

  6. This user likes gbg's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (06-30-2014)

  7. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    275
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kblack1011 View Post
    I don't think Mauer problem is that of style as much as a decline in proformance. By the time he was 26, he had 3 batting titles and an MVP award and was a top 10 MLB player. Over the next five years he dropped to a top 30 player which isn't bad, but not at the expectations he had set. And this year, he not even the best player on a team that will lose close to 90 games.
    Not arguing too much with the premise but if Mauer isn't the best player who is? Suzuki and Dozier have been better but I am guessing by season end it will be Mauer. Even if he is top 60 that is still valuable. I don't care how much he makes. I never expected he would be worth the contract. That contract was more PR based and half of it should be written off to marketing and I said so at the time. So what? He's still a good hitter. The fact that he hasn't met expectations of fans is more of a fan problem than Mauer's. Its like when fans got so mad at Liriano for not being the ace he was in 2006. He was still a worthwhile pitcher, even thought streaky, that had more quality starts than 3 others in the rotation but fans wanted him gone because he didn't fit their definition of an ace. Mauer not performing to your expectations is still probably going to hit .300 with an OPS north of .800 which is still good.

  8. #7
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,219
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Mikhail Baryshnikov believes in artistic athleticism.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

  9. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    579
    Like
    146
    Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Hating on Mauer and Bradley would be rather like art fans getting pissed when Monet refused to change styles ...
    Monet continuing to be Monet is not a good comp for what Mauer and Bradley are doing. If Mauer painted 2009-era lily ponds forever, nobody would ever complain. Even if he kept on being the 2004-2008 and 2010-2013 guy, the overall satisfaction level would be pretty high, although we might wish he would splash in a few more of bold colors from 2009 now and then.

    Mauer has gone from being a top-10 all-time catcher to a below-average 1B. That's not Monet sticking with the greens a bit too long. That's Monet collecting the works of some so-so imitators and exhibiting it as his own.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    579
    Like
    146
    Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Mikhail Baryshnikov believes in artistic athleticism.
    So did Gretzky.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    579
    Like
    146
    Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Mauer not performing to your expectations is still probably going to hit .300 with an OPS north of .800 which is still good.
    I hope you're right, but currently he's hitting .270 with an OPS south of .700.

  12. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    USAFChief (06-30-2014)

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Not arguing too much with the premise but if Mauer isn't the best player who is? Suzuki and Dozier have been better but I am guessing by season end it will be Mauer. Even if he is top 60 that is still valuable. I don't care how much he makes. I never expected he would be worth the contract. That contract was more PR based and half of it should be written off to marketing and I said so at the time. So what? He's still a good hitter. The fact that he hasn't met expectations of fans is more of a fan problem than Mauer's. Its like when fans got so mad at Liriano for not being the ace he was in 2006. He was still a worthwhile pitcher, even thought streaky, that had more quality starts than 3 others in the rotation but fans wanted him gone because he didn't fit their definition of an ace. Mauer not performing to your expectations is still probably going to hit .300 with an OPS north of .800 which is still good.
    I guess I had higher expectation of Mauer, coming off an MVP season than you had, but there is nothing wrong with being an average player if that what everyone expects of Mauer. Just don't see the beauty in an average player.

  14. #12
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,286
    Like
    1,283
    Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Mauer

    last 14 days:
    .333 BA .360 OBP .458 SLG .818 OPS

    Last 7 days:
    .375 BA .423 OBP .500 SLG .923 OPS


    Let's hope this means he has finally figured it out and is coming around.

    No matter what, much better to see him going in this direction (UP).

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Monet continuing to be Monet is not a good comp for what Mauer and Bradley are doing. If Mauer painted 2009-era lily ponds forever, nobody would ever complain.
    As Monet himself would say, "touche"!

    (Very good critique, that was probably more me channelling an unfortunate Dennis Miller style of allusions forever than genuinely solid analysis)
    Peanuts From Heaven

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.