Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: The Return of Parmelee

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Return of Parmelee

Has anyone noticed Parmelee has gone 11 for his last 21 with 2 Doubles and a HR raising his average from .161 to .250 and his OPS from a low of .507 to .704? Granted this is a small sample size but with this being his 4th season of spending time in the majors he was probably on his last chance to stick around. Has he turned a corner? did he figure something out? Or is he playing scared cause he knows he won't have many more chances if he doesn't make it now? Whatever it is I am glad he is having success and hope he can keep it up.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If playing scared was helpful to one's batting average, I would have been a Little League all-star.

3. These 4 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (06-27-2014), Beezer07 (06-27-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-27-2014), James (06-27-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    maybe he's a streaky hitter- His early success was a pretty small sample. His slump this may not be a fair indication of his talent either, it's good to have him when he's rolling, no question about it.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 807 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking of posting something similar. He's played well of late.

One big thing I noticed as well is that he's also been taking less walks and his OBP is not 100 points over his average like it has been. For Parms, I think that may actually be a good thing. I still think that he should be playing every day, and I'm a bit perturbed at Gardy for not allowing that. He's destroyed AAA twice now. I get that it's a tough jump. I also think he can have a decent MLB career and just needs some consistency. Gardy gives up on him pretty easily, and I'm not sure why. He needs to work things out, and it's hard to do that given sporadic PT.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Gardy has said on his weekend show that he really likes Parmelee - as a bench bat. It's the role the Twins want Parmelee to play. The same interview had Gardy saying that a player has to accept their role on a team before they can really perform well in that role.
    Maybe that's happening in this good stretch for Parmelee?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee has had good micro stretches before, longer than this one even. Heck, he had one when he was first called up this year, and there were several in 2013, each time prompting threads and discussion about him turning a corner and being part of the future again. I'm pretty much done discussing good micro stretches with this guy now.

Thanks to P-Flo, he's not the worst position player on the 25 man, so he shouldn't get cut at the moment, and he's worth some ABs as long as other outfielders are slumping and injured (or as we fall out of the race). But he's still a spare part with a tenuous future on this roster, and I don't think that status is open for re-evaluation until the offseason at least.

8. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-27-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Wasn't the entire outrageous expectation of Parms as a good MLB hitter based on a single month when he had the benefit of playing against a bunch of other late-season roster expansion call ups? As far as I can tell, he's been streaky every time he's been in MLB

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee is of some value to this team. He is the best corner OF available and plays a very servicable first base. He has hit left handers well in a small sample size and has a better OPS than Arcia. I don't think it is too much to start him 3-4 times a week (twice for Arcia, once for Hammer and maybe once for Morales/Mauer).

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I am not too optimistic, I am a firm believer of going with the hot bat. Get it while it is hot. I certainly didn't understand his benching after he had two games with 2 hits and then three hits. When he struck out 3 times, sit him the next. That was the right thing. If he is not in the lineup today, it would be wrong.

Nope...... lineup posted. No Parmelee. Sitting after a 3 hit game. Ron Gardenhire - the great cooler. Lefty Arcia is in rightfield though, so it can't be because of being a left handed batter.
    Last edited by h2oface; 06-27-2014 at 06:21 PM.

12. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some believed Parmelee could be a big league regular based on his performance in the upper minors, plus his good performance in September 2? years ago. I think that right now, it is hard to justify starting him everyday based on the 4 people ahead of him. Since he can play LF, RF, 1B, and DH he is a serviceable backup for Willingham, Arcia, Mauer and Morales. I think all 4 need to start. If Arcia is in the majors, and he probably should be, he needs to start. Unless Willingham or Morales, gets traded, and that doesn't make a lot of sense right now, Parmelee isn't going to replace either one on a daily basis.

I don't know Parmelee's future, but it is hard to see him as more than a backup for the Twins, given current and projected future players from the minors. His ceiling as a major league player appears to be more of a journeyman than future star. Of course I could be wrong about that, and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him get regular playing time in the 2nd half of the season, if Willingham were traded, for example.

Consistency seems to be his problem at the major league level. I wouldn't be surprised if it won't always be an issue for him. He isn't good enough defensively at any position to leave him out there when he is not hitting.