Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Santana to DL; Pino Recalled

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDean View Post
    I thought I had seen someone joking about Polanco being the backup CF...but looks like he's really the backup CF, unless Parmelee.

I guess we just have to hope Fuld doesn't go down, as much fun as a Hammer/Parms/Arcia OF sounds.

Maybe give Nunez some time in CF at NB?
    I was the one who mentioned Polanco's one game and one catch in CF, but a little research has found another gem. I found another CF'er at a higher level on the Twins. Pedro Florimon also played a game at AA in CF and caught 2 balls in one game!!! I guess he can play another position besides SS. There's your backup.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    These next two weeks are going to be make or break for the twins, they need to survive and play .500 ball IMHO while they start getting some guys healthyx

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    As an objective statement of the state of things, I guess that's right. I question how many 40-man rosters out there can withstand 3 infielders all on the 15-day DL at the same time. It's too many holes to cover; it's not a long enough time to warrant initiating a trade that another GM will see as being out of desperation.
    The problem with the Twins' roster right now is not 3 IFs in the DL. Not counting first base (that can get covered by Mauer and Parmelee) there are 4 infielders who can play SS on the roster.

The problem is that there is a single outfielder who can play centerfield, and Gardy & Terry call up a thirteenth pitcher, cutting their nose to spite their face. And starting the season with only one centerfielder at the high levels and Bartlett as the back up (remember that?) is the root cause of the problem here. Not all the SSs they got on the roster. That's the symptom.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

4. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (06-27-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The problem with the Twins' roster right now is not 3 IFs in the DL. Not counting first base (that can get covered by Mauer and Parmelee) there are 4 infielders who can play SS on the roster.

The problem is that there is a single outfielder who can play centerfield, and Gardy & Terry call up a thirteenth pitcher, cutting their nose to spite their face. And starting the season with only one centerfielder at the high levels and Bartlett as the back up (remember that?) is the root cause of the problem here. Not all the SSs they got on the roster. That's the symptom.
    Grady Sizemore was available to be claimed and/or signed on a non-roster minor league deal- he's right there in Lehigh Valley as we speak.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Grady Sizemore was available to be claimed and/or signed on a non-roster minor league deal- he's right there in Lehigh Valley as we speak.
    Indeed. Along with Jason Marquis, Matt Tolbert and Clete Thomas.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    As an objective statement of the state of things, I guess that's right. I question how many 40-man rosters out there can withstand 3 infielders all on the 15-day DL at the same time. It's too many holes to cover; it's not a long enough time to warrant initiating a trade that another GM will see as being out of desperation.

There's bad luck, no doubt. But this was a glaring problem before the season - offensive depth was a black hole after the starters. When you compound that existing problem with bizarre 25 man roster decisions out of ST.....that does matter too. I can't completely excuse them when many of these problems were self-inflicted. (Bad luck has just made a bad problem even worse)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    De Ja Vu!
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    I also feel the Twins made their own bed on this. Nunez said he was ready to go. Anthony said Nunez was available off the bench. Then the Twins called up Pino for a spot start; fine. But instead of sending out a pitcher in exchange for Pino, they put the healthy Nunez on the DL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    De Ja Vu!
    What? No confetti? Where's the balloons and streamers and marching band?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How do you get a bone bruise that bad mid sprint without banging it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    How do you get a bone bruise that bad mid sprint without banging it.
    http://www.md-health.com/Bone-Bruise.html

Interosseous bruise - On the other hand, high compressive forces that are repetitively inflicted on a bone can cause bleeding inside the bone where the marrow is located, causing a bone bruise called interosseous bruising. This commonly occurs in the knees and ankles of professional basketball or football players.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    You really think that's how they handle roster construction and injury prevention? They had three infielders get hurt within two weeks. How many more Florimons should we have at the end of the roster?
    Well the injuries would clearly make any team scramble, but half the issue is that Florimon was never at the end of the roster, he was pegged to be the opening day starter. No one would accuse the team of having poor depth, even if injuries did occur, had they had a better SS plan to begin with. Or a better CF plan, or any kind of plan that didn't involve 13 pitchers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12