Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santana to DL; Pino Recalled

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts

Santana to DL; Pino Recalled

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Well, that probably answers the question of who's starting in that open slot - Pino will get his 3rd ML start.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh... well, couldn't they just have DL'd Santana and called up Polanco? I don't think Pino needed to be involved with this.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 804 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing they thought Santana would be playing sooner.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 48 Times in 27 Posts
    I thought I had seen someone joking about Polanco being the backup CF...but looks like he's really the backup CF, unless Parmelee.

I guess we just have to hope Fuld doesn't go down, as much fun as a Hammer/Parms/Arcia OF sounds.

Maybe give Nunez some time in CF at NB?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 657 Times in 370 Posts
    This roster is a mess right now.

8. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-27-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This roster is a mess right now.
    As an objective statement of the state of things, I guess that's right. I question how many 40-man rosters out there can withstand 3 infielders all on the 15-day DL at the same time. It's too many holes to cover; it's not a long enough time to warrant initiating a trade that another GM will see as being out of desperation.

10. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (06-27-2014), jorgenswest (06-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    So does Polanco get to start today?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    As an objective statement of the state of things, I guess that's right. I question how many 40-man rosters out there can withstand 3 infielders all on the 15-day DL at the same time. It's too many holes to cover; it's not a long enough time to warrant initiating a trade that another GM will see as being out of desperation.
    Of those 3 infielders, only one was even in MLB to begin the season. The fact that they all seem critical to our roster now speaks a bit about how well our roster plan has worked out, even without injuries.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, at least throwing in the towel on Santana now instead of letting him sit on the bench for a few more days before DL'ing him is an improvement over the handling of some previous injuries.

That said, while there's unquestionably a whole bunch of randomness to injury situations like this, it would be nice to see the Twins use this incident as motivation to reconsider roster construction and training methods, rather just shrugging their shoulders, scratching their heads, and saying 'We ended up needing a kid from A ball to come up to the majors. Huh. Darn the luck.'

14. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I suspect that a significant part of "the roster problem" is caused by too many pitchers on the roster. The desire to have "lots of arms" for both starters and relievers is a big constraint. To be sure it is frustrating to place trust in players whose performance doesn't meet expectations, but sometimes a team just has to grin and bear it. It is a 40-man roster, a team can't be 3-deep at every position, there isn't enough spots.

We have been prompted that there is "a mandate" to not lose 90+ games this season, but that seems like the tail wagging-the-dog. The real need is developing players and assembling a team that can consistently win 90+ a season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the plus side only one pitcher has been hurt this season.....

Also on the CF mess. The Twins did try to sign Raj Davis this offseason. I am pretty sure I remember Len III was about to announce it when the Tigers jumped in and upped their offer a little.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    , it would be nice to see the Twins use this incident as motivation to reconsider roster construction and training methods, rather just shrugging their shoulders, scratching their heads, and saying 'We ended up needing a kid from A ball to come up to the majors. Huh. Darn the luck.'
    You really think that's how they handle roster construction and injury prevention? They had three infielders get hurt within two weeks. How many more Florimons should we have at the end of the roster?

Apparently Pino never really left the team:

But this is very cool especially for someone who has played so long in the minors:

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Also they used the 40-men roster to protect players that they did not intend to call up this year (Kepler, Polanco (well, now they were forced too), Vargas). It is not a criticism, they had to do it to protect them. It is part of the reality of why the 40-men is thin in some positions.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Apparently Pino never really left the team:

Makes complete sense. As a starting pitcher who had just taken his turn, and with injury questions, there was no rush to get to Rochester except to refill the feeder for the housecat and water the plants.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    You really think that's how they handle roster construction and injury prevention? They had three infielders get hurt within two weeks. How many more Florimons should we have at the end of the roster?
    OK, I'll take a stab at it:

-1?

23. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (06-27-2014), PseudoSABR (06-27-2014), snepp (06-29-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Well, at least throwing in the towel on Santana now instead of letting him sit on the bench for a few more days before DL'ing him is an improvement over the handling of some previous injuries.

That said, while there's unquestionably a whole bunch of randomness to injury situations like this, it would be nice to see the Twins use this incident as motivation to reconsider roster construction and training methods, rather just shrugging their shoulders, scratching their heads, and saying 'We ended up needing a kid from A ball to come up to the majors. Huh. Darn the luck.'
    Hate to say "I told you so" but in this case...it was pretty obvious when the injury was described...it was not going to end up being "day to day"- but as you said, at least they didn't drag this out as they have in the past. Heck, even Timmy Laudner knew the injury was a more serious one than the first reports would lead to believe.

This move still makes it likely that the Twins stay with 13 pitchers when Plouffe and Nunez presumably come back on Monday, obviously still a position player short on the 40-man, and still leaves them short a viable leadoff bat and a starting-level CF on the 25-man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast