Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Changing Focus: The Danny Valencia & Francisco Liriano Moves

Danny is not and never was a prospect of any value. He would not have made the bigs on more than 2 or 3 other teams outside of an absolute emergency. The fact that people even mistake him for a prospect speaks to the dire strairs of the Twins minor leagues. He should be nothing more than a AAA afterthought in a good org.

I agree with the moves and the change of focus as you describe it. There are guys producing on this team - we should invest in them and move on those who are not. The amount of energy and expectations set on these two is exhausting and dragging the entire club down. Sometimes addition by subtraction is the way to go. The moves don't completely cut ties, but they send a message to these players that it is now or never for them in a Twins uniform.

The only thing I don't like about these moves is that they should have happened a couple weeks ago. Better late than never!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Clearly Valencia has the talent and confidence to succeed in the big leagues.
    Clearly not. His fundamentals are wrong on both offense and defense. His judgment on the strike zone is terrible. He's an awful player but he thinks he's A-Rod.

John, I liked your take on the transition from focusing on the team to focusing on individual players. The Twins need to work on developing their younger players and what better place than the major leagues with the best coaches in the system. They need to forget about contending for the playoffs and admit they are rebuilding. Maybe this recent spate of maneuvers shows that they finally get it.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    So when Morneau comes off the DL, and is able to play 1B will Parmalee get the regular 3B job? To me, it makes the most sense.*
    Parmalee throws left handed, so he won't be seeing any time at 3B.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    I think this is a good direction for the team to go but these type of moves cannot just be limited to guys that are already in Gardy's doghouse but need to go beyond that. A specific example is Blackburn. Nick currently has an ERA of around 7.00 and would be the joke of the rotation if Liriano had not imploded to the extent he did. If Blackburn doesn't turn it around in the next few starts the Twins need to push him in to the bullpen as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    I think this is a good direction for the team to go but these type of moves cannot just be limited to guys that are already in Gardy's doghouse but need to go beyond that. A specific example is Blackburn. Nick currently has an ERA of around 7.00 and would be the joke of the rotation if Liriano had not imploded to the extent he did. If Blackburn doesn't turn it around in the next few starts the Twins need to push him in to the bullpen as well.
    The bullpen is getting awfully crowded. Who is next to start in the bigs? They're running out of options(some would say they already have).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    One other point I should have made in the story: right about now it might be nice to have Luke Hughes in the organization.
    And I was having a good morning until you reminded me of that John. The Twins didn't reclaim him when the A's DFA's him last week and he is currently in Sacremento. But yes, Hughes would be a huge addition to this team right now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But yes, Hughes would be a huge addition to this team right now.
    I suppose Hughes could land somewhere and do a Casey Blake, but I don't think that is very likely. I think he is more limited than Valencia as a potential starting 3B, both offensively and defensively. Not, that I am holding out a lot of hope for Valencia, either.

Actually the best hope for a medium term answer at 3B is probably Plouffe, though I am not too sure he will get much of an opportunity.

I am not sure I agree with John's take on what the Twins focus is. It kind of looks to me, that the Twins are flipping cards over, hoping one or more will play. I don't see where they have much choice, but I doubt if it has much to do with develpment of individual players.

who's on Third?

This seems like a good time to make a move outside of the organization...i see Kevin Youkilis may be on the block...seems like a great fit to me

Looking forward to 2013, with our rotation of Liam Hendriks, Nick Blackburn, PJ Walters, Scott Diamond, and the washed-up remains of wily veteran innings-eater...like Carl Pavano.

Kyle Gibson should be beside himself right now...uninjured, he's the ace. Coming off of TJ surgery, he'll be mediocre for the first year or so.

Wake me up when it's 2014.

Mauer to 3B. Do it. Now.

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    I suspect the same. Carroll, mostly. Some Plouffe.
    Exactly what a rebuilding team playing .250 baseball should be doing...investing time in a 38 yr old 3bman who has trouble hitting enough to stay at SS.

Sheesh, this organization is in bad shape.

Make the Mauer to 3b move now. Right now. Let's at least try to solve some problems long term, rather than diddle around with Alexi Casilla or Jamie Carroll at 3b. At the very least put Plouffe over there and leave him alone.
    Last edited by USAFChief; 05-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Make the Mauer to 3b move now. Right now. Let's at least try to solve some problems long term, rather than diddle around with Alexi Casilla or Jamie Carroll at 3b. At the very least put Plouffe over there and leave him alone.
    This is what I would do, and considering the Twins just sent down an infielder to call up an outfielder, it's what I suspect Gardy will do. There's really no reason to play Plouffe in the outfield now.

Now a Change that needs to happen!!

Vavra needs to go... ASAP!

Coomerific Career for Danny? Coomer played hard and studied hitting (as well as teaching) and overcame size and weight to have a rather pleasant career and enjoyed every moment he was on the field.

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Coomerific Career for Danny? Coomer played hard and studied hitting (as well as teaching) and overcame size and weight to have a rather pleasant career and enjoyed every moment he was on the field.
    Yep, and Coomer had quite a bit more success than Disco Danny in the minors before finally getting a crack at the majors.

Maybe a better comparison to Valencia's offensive ceiling is Scott Leius. He was a nice little piece of the puzzle in '91, posting a .795 OPS while platooning at third against lefties. Pressed into service as a near-everyday player in '92, he went down in flames with a .626 OPS.

Now the Twins just need Burroughs to get his Pagliarulo on...

call philly about trading for D. Brown. Start the Sept. call-ups in june (sano, hicks, guerra) and ride the "storm" out!

absolutely had to be done. seeing Valencia ground into a bases-loaded 1-2-3 double play, swinging at bad pitch after bad pitch, he does not belong at the major league level right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And I always cut a little slack to 3B for their age. For some reason, a lot of them make it to the bigs a bit later.
    I was not aware that 3B's make it to the bigs later. I would have guessed more catchers and left handed pitchers may develop later. I suppose speed positions may be on the earlier side. Anyone seen a study in this area? My interest is player development and career path. It hasn't been in my mind to be more patient with thirdbasemen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast