Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Changing Focus: The Danny Valencia & Francisco Liriano Moves

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I was not aware that 3B's make it to the bigs later. I would have guessed more catchers and left handed pitchers may develop later. I suppose speed positions may be on the earlier side. Anyone seen a study in this area? My interest is player development and career path. It hasn't been in my mind to be more patient with thirdbasemen.
    Often times it is because they were shortstops who had to move to third, but at third you have to produce more offensively than the more common move from short, second base.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was not aware that 3B's make it to the bigs later. I would have guessed more catchers and left handed pitchers may develop later. I suppose speed positions may be on the earlier side. Anyone seen a study in this area? My interest is player development and career path. It hasn't been in my mind to be more patient with thirdbasemen.
    There are examples of what John is talking about, Wade Boggs come to mind. But, part of the reason is because of the special demands of the position and that it is sort of a transition position.

Playing 3B well, requires a strong arm, good hands and a certain amount of quickness, if not outright speed. Also since there aren't necessarily as many chances at 3b but a higher percent of difficult chances, errors often appear more glaring.

Many times players start out as middle infielders and are moved to 3B if they don't have enough range for short or 2b but have some power or strong contact skills. A number of very good 3B over the years started at catcher, often again because their bat skills were stronger than their defensive skills.

I think all of these things seem to contribute to longer development time for 3rd baseman. It is also interesting how many very good ballplayers, play at 3rd for a while but ultimately end up in the OF or at 1B. Thome, Killebrew and Shefield are 3 who come immediately to mind. Cuddyer also.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    There are examples of what John is talking about, Wade Boggs come to mind. But, part of the reason is because of the special demands of the position and that it is sort of a transition position.
    I guess I am interested in seeing it in the data. Once the data shows a trend, the reasoning would follow. If I look at the current 3B's, will they have had later career starts than other positions? Do prime seasons for a 3B tend to occur later? If so, maybe I should have more hope for the 27 year old Valencia. I did a quick look for a study but didn't see one.

My question: "Is there more hope for Valencia as a struggling 27 year old because he plays 3B and hence will develop later?"

I know there are examples of guys who moved to 3B or away from 3B. Players often move down the defensive spectrum as the age. That doesn't give hope for Valencia. I think I will take a shot at that question sometime in the future. In my mind, I have an impression that catchers and lefties develop later. That may be a false impression. Maybe it is 3B's that require more patience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123