Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Call Up Jorge Polanco Directly From Single-A

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCoomer View Post
    I believe Kent Hrbek was called up straight from A-ball.
    And Rod Carew

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    Hmmmm... I guess I was under the impression that May, Darnell, or Johnson would get that start, but knowing Gardy, he might just stretch out Swarzak. At this point I'd rather see Deduno back in the rotation than see Swarzak start.... but Deduno is a good long reliever.

Also... Is Nunez close to returning soon?
    Nunez started at SS for New Britain last night. He was 0-3. It sounds like if all goes well, he'll be back on Monday.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Nunez started at SS for New Britain last night. He was 0-3. It sounds like if all goes well, he'll be back on Monday.
    That was my understanding all along. Nuñez' injury was not a two-week injury. Since he has been a part-time player, it is probably helpful to get him at-bats and since he plays several positions, it would help for him to play a couple different positions before returning to the Twins.

I expect that Plouffe will be ready on Monday, as well. Two things temper my optimism on Plouffe: 1) history--Plouffe has had at least two episodes where he was supposed to be back the day after tomorrow and the goal line kept moving. 2) nature of injury--pulls and strains in the side and ribcage seem to always take longer than expected to heal. His injury was not diagnosed as an oblique strain or pull, so maybe this injury won't be so slow to heal.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I noticed a few people asked about Service Time. If he's up for 4 days, it is 4 days of service time. I hope he gets a start or two and does well. I would still think he returns to Ft. Myers at that point though AA is a possibility too.

They really like Polanco in the organization. People I've talked to talk about his intelligence, his personality and obviously his baseball abilities.

He needs to play though, and that's why he goes back to the minors. Can't have a player with that much talent sitting on the bench.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep calm and carry on. Polanco's visit with the Twins will be very short.

6. This user likes tarheeltwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    And Rod Carew

Apparently not Carew. LEN3 was published today in the Tribune (www.startribune.com/sports) that there were four previos Twins promoted from Class A
    Jim Manning '62, Butch Wynegar '76, Kent Hrbek '81, and Jim Eisenreich '82.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    As much as I want to see May pitch I also think Pino deserved more of a shot. 1-1 with one quality start in the bigs after 9-1 in the minors. Yes, he may be this year's Albers or Walters or whoever but everyone has a clunker now and then and it did come against one of the best offenses in the league. I would have liked to see him start at least one more. I think he deserved it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Pino was just a victim of unexpected circumstances. I would guess he would have gotten at least another start if they didn't need to clear room for an emergency reserve infielder. Because he wasn't going to be in a game over the weekend, his roster spot was the most dispensible without leaving them short on relievers who may be needed.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    Was Polanco added to the 40-Man too early, or would he have been eligible to be a Rule V draftee if he was not on the 40-Man this year?

Promoting a guy from single-A ball is a huge jump, would it have been more prudent to have another AAA or AA middle infielder on the 40-Man instead of Polanco?

Or was this a case of protecting Polanco from being taken by another team (either Rule V or minor league free agent)?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Was Polanco added to the 40-Man too early, or would he have been eligible to be a Rule V draftee if he was not on the 40-Man this year?

Promoting a guy from single-A ball is a huge jump, would it have been more prudent to have another AAA or AA middle infielder on the 40-Man instead of Polanco?

Or was this a case of protecting Polanco from being taken by another team (either Rule V or minor league free agent)?
    He was added last winter, to protect him from this past Rule 5 draft. Same for Vargas and Kepler.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Apparently not Carew. LEN3 was published today in the Tribune (www.startribune.com/sports) that there were four previos Twins promoted from Class A
    Hmm. Wonder what his source is. Baseball Cube shows Carew going from A+ to the Twins with no stops in between.

13. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (06-28-2014), jokin (06-28-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=carew-001rod

Click on the link. Apparently LEN and the Strib are wrong.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    He was added last winter, to protect him from this past Rule 5 draft. Same for Vargas and Kepler.
    Speaking of that, has anyone looked at who will be eligible this year (unless rostered of course)?

AJ Achter
    Alex Meyer
    Deolis Guerra
    Eddie Rosario
    Jason Wheeler
    Miguel Sano
    Niko Goodrum
    Reynaldo Rodgriguez
    Sean Gilmartin
    Todd Van Steensel
    Tim Shibuya

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep, and not for the first time. C'mon guys, how hard is it to get this stuff right, especially when you have direct access to the Twins' press secretary and stat services?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Speaking of that, has anyone looked at who will be eligible this year (unless rostered of course)?

AJ Achter
    Alex Meyer
    Deolis Guerra
    Eddie Rosario
    Jason Wheeler
    Miguel Sano
    Niko Goodrum
    Reynaldo Rodgriguez
    Sean Gilmartin
    Todd Van Steensel
    Tim Shibuya
    Wow. Going to be some tough roster decisions again.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts

Carew wasnt promoted from A ball (though it was the highest level he reached), he was promoted FROM instructional league.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 175 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was going to point out Eisenreich, which I had forgotten about. Was also thinking Puckett was straight from Visalia, forgot he had a little time at AAA first.

I hate to repeat myself from another thread, but I guess I have to in an abridged version.

Despite being a (former?) fan of Floriman with hopes, he is having perhaps the worst season I have ever seen. I doubt another team in baseball wouldn't have already DFA'ed him at this point, especially with injuries and the roster crunch. Escobar should have been left alone at SS and Romero should have received his first shot. Instead of messing with the entire left half of the infield, could have put a 3B at 3B, and hopefully gotten a little offense. And if you're going to bring up Polanco for a taste, even a brief one, can't he at least play a little bit? I mean, what's he going to do, play defense so much worse than Florimon that a hit, a walk, a productive out at least wouldn't compensate?

And just a point, I don't put a lot of fearful value in regard to errors for a young SS simply because he's learning, working, playing on poorer quality fields, and might not always have the best fielding 1B receiving throws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Carew wasnt promoted from A ball (though it was the highest level he reached), he was promoted FROM instructional league.
    Rod Carew played his last official minor league game in 1966 for the Wilson Tobs, in the Class A Carolina League. On April 11, 1967, Carew made his debut with the Twins. That is a jump--in terms of playing baseball games--from A ball to the majors.

21. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-29-2014)

I saw Polanco at Spring Training. Coaches were batting balls at him deep in the hole during drills. He was looking great. Good arm, athletic, quick release. Meintkiewicz shouting out good work. I agree with Doc Bauer, they should play him. He's not going to embarrass anyone. I don't get the Florimon play. You could stick a mannequin in at home plate and get the same results.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinssouth View Post
    I saw Polanco at Spring Training. Coaches were batting balls at him deep in the hole during drills. He was looking great. Good arm, athletic, quick release. Meintkiewicz shouting out good work. I agree with Doc Bauer, they should play him. He's not going to embarrass anyone. I don't get the Florimon play. You could stick a mannequin in at home plate and get the same results.
    Mannequin==> higher OBP due to inability to avoid HBP.

24. These 4 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-29-2014), GCTF (06-29-2014), jokin (06-29-2014), USAFChief (06-29-2014)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast