Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Jared Burton, the case for dismissal.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

A case for dismissal: Jared Burton

I can't stand watching Jared Burton pitch for the Twins any longer. I got so steamed up I wrote an article about it. I don't understand why Gardenhire and the gang keep giving him high leverage opportunities, or any opportunities at all. Yuck.

http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php/5402...-for-dismissal

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Paul. I like the articles and comments you give on TD.

We all know Burton is doomed for failure, but what the hell - he looked good today. Let's briefly basque in it.

His time will come and I too am left scratching my head why they put him in high leverage situations.

I hope for the best, but his clock should definitely be ticking. Who knows, maybe he builds up some value before the trade deadline and we receive a DQ Dilly Bar or a small Cherry Arctic blast blended with ice cream... great return if you ask me.

PS - Why did DQ get rid of the Mister Misty name - sort of bums me out.

3. These 2 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-23-2014), Sconnie (06-23-2014)

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    DILLY BAR!!!!!

I suppose if the Twins could find a way to get me a frozen DQ treat I'd be willing to stop blasting Jared Burton for up to three outings.

We need to find an insider at DQ to make this happen, and to find out about Mister Misty.

Or the Twins can just DFA Burton and I'll be able to rest easy. No one has caused my heart rate to jump like Jared Burton since the days of Cardiac Capps.

5. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (06-22-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    No one has caused my heart rate to jump like Jared Burton since the days of Cardiac Capps.
    You should be glad you were not born when Ike's dad was pitching.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

7. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-22-2014)

Blog Entries
    DILLY BAR!!!!!

I suppose if the Twins could find a way to get me a frozen DQ treat I'd be willing to stop blasting Jared Burton for up to three outings.

We need to find an insider at DQ to make this happen, and to find out about Mister Misty.

Or the Twins can just DFA Burton and I'll be able to rest easy. No one has caused my heart rate to jump like Jared Burton since the days of Cardiac Capps.
    Well, our first action would be to have them (Dairy Queen) change "Arctic Blast" back to "Mister Misty". It's a damn crime against humanity.

I do believe the Twins owe all fans a free 5$ DQ treat for the pain they have inflicted by running Burton out there as much as they have. I just turned 39 years old, but I am living in the body of a 54 year old. To this, I blame the Twins usage of Burton. This also, is a crime against humanity.

9. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-22-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    You should be glad you were not born when Ike's dad was pitching.
    Who doesn't love Eisenhower?

I Like Ike, and he was born in 1890.

Was his dad a dark ages baseball star?

11. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ScottyB (06-22-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Burton seems to me like a guy that thrives under more pressure than not. It's the worthless, blow out games where he'll have a bad inning to bloat his ERA when in reality, those games are just "eating innings" anyway. But that's generally the case for all relievers and why they try not to use closers in non-save situations.

Burton has looked good his last 5 outings. He corrected something

Blog Entries
    Sorry about my last post Paul, off topic a little.

Burton was good in 2012 (caught a little lightning in a bottle)

He was okay in 2013, with definite cracks in facade after June.

2014 - he is what he is - filler - I do not get why the Twins use him how they do?
    Last edited by Bark's Lounge; 06-22-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    Burton seems to me like a guy that thrives under more pressure than not. It's the worthless, blow out games where he'll have a bad inning to bloat his ERA when in reality, those games are just "eating innings" anyway. But that's generally the case for all relievers and why they try not to use closers in non-save situations.
    Burton is not a guy who thrives under pressure. From my last article:

"Even more unsettling is his work in high leverage situations. According to Fangraphs, he's pitching to the tune of .215/.329/.391 in low leverage situations, .250/.294/.500 in medium leverage situations and a disgusting .368/.429/.526 in high level situations.

We see the same trend when we look at his numbers with men on base. With the bases empty he's a respectable .183/.300/.367, but with men on it's .321/.377/.527 and with men in scoring position a laughabale .342/.375/.622, that's a .410 wOBA! Yikes!"

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Sorry about my last post Paul, off topic a little.

Burton was good in 2012 (caught a little lightning in a bottle)

He was okay in 2013, with definite cracks in facade after June.

2014 - he is what he is - filler - I do not get why the Twins use him how they do?
    Burton is definitely surviving on hope and dreams connected to his 2012 performance. He's already given up as many HR as he did in 2012, but in half as many innings, and has nearly given up as many runs as he did over the course of 62 innings pitched in 2012.

Any way you slice it, Burton just hasn't been good this season. He's better than he was in April, but even if he can pitch to a 4ish ERA for the rest of the season, what's the advantage in having that guy on the squad? There are half a dozen guys in the AAA pen pitching better than that. Give any one of them a shot.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Statistics aside, I'm betting the front office is looking at:

• Seth Stohs ‏@SethTweets 33m
      Jared Burton hasn't allowed a run in his last 5 outings (including today), 9 of last 11 outings.

Jared Burton rhp
      2 years/$5.5M (2013-14), plus 2015 option

And hoping they might be able to spin him into some kind of return.

Blog Entries
    Burton is definitely surviving on hope and dreams connected to his 2012 performance. He's already given up as many HR as he did in 2012, but in half as many innings, and has nearly given up as many runs as he did over the course of 62 innings pitched in 2012.

Any way you slice it, Burton just hasn't been good this season. He's better than he was in April, but even if he can pitch to a 4ish ERA for the rest of the season, what's the advantage in having that guy on the squad? There are half a dozen guys in the AAA pen pitching better than that. Give any one of them a shot.
    Agreed. He should be gone, replaced with Tonkin or whom ever. I turned the game off in the the bottom of the 9th today. I did not have the guts to deal with it.

19. These 2 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-22-2014), ScottyB (06-22-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Yeah, at this point I'm just hoping their building up his value as trade bait.

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Statistics aside, I'm betting the front office is looking at:

• Seth Stohs ‏@SethTweets 33m
      Jared Burton hasn't allowed a run in his last 5 outings (including today), 9 of last 11 outings.

Jared Burton rhp
      2 years/$5.5M (2013-14), plus 2015 option

And hoping they might be able to spin him into some kind of return.
    So I guess there are 5.5 million reasons to keep Burton, or whatever the pro-rated version of that is. But why you need to keep a guy on the wrong side of 30 with declining statistics whose upside is a 4ish ERA from here on out is beyond me. I cant' understand. Maybe I could, but I just wont. He could pitch 10 more scoreless outings on top of his last 5 and I'd still be calling for his roster spot to go to someone else.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Agreed. He should be gone, replaced with Tonkin or whom ever. I turned the game off in the the bottom of the 9th today. I did not have the guts to deal with it.
    Then you turned off a can o' corn, three up three down.

23. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-22-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give you this much, Paul: you're no front runner. Posting today after his tidy save proves that.

And I don't disagree with the sentiment that Burton shouldn't be with the team much longer. A trade for a younger version of himself, to give the guys ready for the majors now their chance, would make sense for the Twins and for some contender. I don't like asset management that simply cuts players loose when at their low point, if it can be helped.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    I think it is only the pro-rated portion of $3.25 million so not huge dollars.

But one of this front office's traits is a high level of loyalty to veterans.

And I guess it doesn't matter if fans get a case of blue face every time he goes out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Then you turned off a can o' corn, three up three down.
    Hey give me credit. I visualized it on MLB Game Day in the 9th. I did not need another hole in my wall.

I saved some money.

27. These 2 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-22-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was a mistake to extend Burton into this season. It could have been foreseen. It is to easy to believe that a player in their thirties will remain at the same level of performance two years later. The reality is different.

http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php/1968...Old-Set-Up-Man

Similarly, the Twins extended Ryan Doumit in June 2012 after 3 months of good play. He was given a contract through 2014. He did not perform at near the same level of the first three months.

Burton and Doumit also were performing better than their previous few seasons in 2012 so they not only should have been expected to decline but also expected to regress to their mean.

The Twins face a similar decision this year. Kurt Suzuki is 30. He is having a season much better than his previous two. It must be really tempting to give him a multiyear extension. He certainly will be seeking that last good contract this winter.

29. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-22-2014)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast