Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Hicks off DL, Optioned to New Britain

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Twins PR man Dustin Morse tweeted moments ago that Aaron Hicks was removed from the Disabled List and optioned to AA New Britain.

    That's where he has been playing for the last 4-5 games, and with all the work he needs to do to gain back his swing and his prospect status, I think it was the easy and right choice.
    Not sure about easy or not, but:

    - Hicks has higher OBP than Fuld
    - Hicks has higher OBP than Span had his last 3 seasons with the Twins (did not hear too many cries about how awful Span was.)
    - The Twins have no back up CF and 3 lumbering corner OFs.
    - Hicks is not even playing Centerfield in Hardware City.

    "Right" Choice?
    Guess a whole bunch of wrongs might make a right...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,284
    Like
    1,283
    Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    "Right" Choice?
    Guess a whole bunch of wrongs might make a right...
    Thrylos, I'll ask you the same question I asked Shane above.

    Do you really think that being w/the major league club right now is in Hicks' best interests (and ultimately in the Twins' long term best interests)???

    I think Hicks is the Twins best CF at the present time. I also think he can benefit greatly from some time away from the mlb spotlight (especially with the rabidity of some of the fans I've read on posts about him).

  3. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (06-25-2014)

  4. #23

  5. These 7 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (06-25-2014), h2oface (06-25-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-25-2014), Mr. Brooks (06-26-2014), pierre75275 (06-25-2014), Sconnie (06-25-2014), USAFChief (06-25-2014)

  6. #24
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,807
    Like
    173
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    Whatever minimal amount Hicks is an improvement over Fuld (And yes....it's VERY minimal) should be more than offset by doing what's right by an important asset.

    The only reason to have Hicks playing CF is to completely abandon the idea that he's an important part of the future. If you still believe he can be....then he's where he needs to be and hopefully he's there for an extended period of time.

  7. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (06-25-2014)

  8. #25
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Thrylos, I'll ask you the same question I asked Shane above.

    Do you really think that being w/the major league club right now is in Hicks' best interests (and ultimately in the Twins' long term best interests)???

    I think Hicks is the Twins best CF at the present time. I also think he can benefit greatly from some time away from the mlb spotlight (especially with the rabidity of some of the fans I've read on posts about him).
    I think that the Twins should have the best 25 up North at all times. Right now they do not. Before last night they were two (2!) games behind the second wild-card spot. Now they are 3. And they carry at least 2 position players (Florimon & Fryer) who have no business being in an MLB club, while there are better options in the minors. Not to mention that they carry 7 relievers.

    I don't know about what is best for Hicks, but I think that it is best for the Twins for Hicks to be their starting centerfielder while they are competing. And if they are not competing, they should be getting rid of a few veterans at this point...

    And I don't know how any fan can be rabid re: Hicks with Florimon in his place...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  9. #26
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,284
    Like
    1,283
    Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the Twins should have the best 25 up North at all times. Right now they do not. Before last night they were two (2!) games behind the second wild-card spot. Now they are 3. And they carry at least 2 position players (Florimon & Fryer) who have no business being in an MLB club, while there are better options in the minors. Not to mention that they carry 7 relievers.

    I don't know about what is best for Hicks, but I think that it is best for the Twins for Hicks to be their starting centerfielder while they are competing. And if they are not competing, they should be getting rid of a few veterans at this point...

    And I don't know how any fan can be rabid re: Hicks with Florimon in his place...
    Fair enough. I just think he's struggling so much and in such a doghouse with Gardenhire, it just isn't going to work to have him w/the major league club right now.

  10. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (06-25-2014)

  11. #27

    I agree with Thrylos, Florimon being in MLB is an afront to all Twins minor leaguers

    And I don't know how any fan can be rabid re: Hicks with Florimon in his place...[/QUOTE]

    If it is about winning and competing for a playoff spot, then Terry Ryan and Ron Gardenhire cannot look anyone in the face and explain why Pedro Florimon is on the roster. Good defense or no good defense he is an automatic out and a liability with the bat. Why should any Twins minor leaguer bust there butts to try and get here when roster spots are doled out to guys like Florimon who haven't earned the spot. Florimon should have been outrighted off the 40 man a long time ago, but Ryan and Gardenhire are defiant and do not see what everyone see's that even as the 25th man Florimon is an automatic out. Even the 25th man on the roster has to bring something to the table. Gardenhire is perfectly fine whipping players in the media but when it is one of his boy's like Mauer, Cudeyyer, or even a Florimon he never takes them to task. Maybe Gardenhire being the manager is just as much a problem as a player like Hicks struggling. He put's it out there in the media stuff about the players but never takes his lumps for some of his rotten relief pitching decisions, or some of his stinky decisions. How many young players have ever developed under Gardenhires leadership? Not to many you can name.
    Last edited by jaimedude2; 06-25-2014 at 06:42 PM.

  12. #28
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,706
    Like
    864
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not sure about easy or not, but:

    - Hicks has higher OBP than Fuld
    - Hicks has higher OBP than Span had his last 3 seasons with the Twins (did not hear too many cries about how awful Span was.)
    - The Twins have no back up CF and 3 lumbering corner OFs.
    - Hicks is not even playing Centerfield in Hardware City.

    "Right" Choice?
    Guess a whole bunch of wrongs might make a right...
    Well, actually, the Twins made their intentions regarding Hicks' positional future quite clear when they sent him on his rehab assignment. Rob Antony specifically said that Hicks would also be playing the other OF positions to get experience there, along with learning how to hit RHP while hitting RH (Hicks made sure that that experiment lasted all of about 15 minutes).

    It's time to face facts, the whole thing is a huge mess, and both sides of this issue have a hand in how it has all gone down. Right now, it looks like the Twins are sending a strong message to Hicks that they are considering his future role as a Twin as a 4th OF and are willing to jeopardize their current OF defense and their future SS position to make their point to Hicks clear.

  13. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    curt1965 (06-25-2014), Sconnie (06-25-2014)

  14. #29
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    369
    Like
    72
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    This is ridiculous. Hicks should at least be in Rochester. Punitive Loshing. Unbelieveable. Fuld has an arm like Revere. Did you see his throw from center to home last night? Just trade the kid then. Things like this make me want Gardenhire/Ryan gone so much. Arcia and Hicks to the Dodgers for Joc Peterson? For the Twin's outfield to look like this is truly a travesty.

  15. #30
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It's time to face facts, the whole thing is a huge mess, and both sides of this issue have a hand in how it has all gone down. Right now, it looks like the Twins are sending a strong message to Hicks that they are considering his future role as a Twin as a 4th OF and are willing to jeopardize their current OF defense and their future SS position to make their point to Hicks clear.
    So, basically, they are cutting their noses to spite their faces?

    And, darn, I can see maybe how a front office and field management stuff might have the political capital to do that, if they spot a few world series rings to prove that they have been doing something right, but...

    At least (some) fans are (slowly) waking up. Hopefully the owner will too and make changes.

    The acting GM joined this team as a marketing intern. Need I say more?
    Last edited by Thrylos; 06-25-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  16. #31
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    590
    Like
    75
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    REBOOT:

    He has all the talent in the world, but has problems in the mental aspects. Let him kick some AA ass and rediscover his strengths, or flame out in glory.

    Good luck to him. I still think he needs to shave his head to achieve glory:

    torii.jpg

    134311d1222330691-gambo-t_wil1-photo-kirby_puckett1984.jpg

  17. This user likes Monkeypaws's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    h2oface (06-25-2014)

  18. #32
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,706
    Like
    864
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    This is ridiculous. Hicks should at least be in Rochester. Punitive Loshing. Unbelieveable. Fuld has an arm like Revere. Did you see his throw from center to home last night? Just trade the kid then. Things like this make me want Gardenhire/Ryan gone so much. Arcia and Hicks to the Dodgers for Joc Peterson? For the Twin's outfield to look like this is truly a travesty.
    "Punitive Lohseing"? The baseball dictionary just gained a colorful new entry. I guess the Twins really showed Kyle, didn't they:


  19. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    h2oface (06-25-2014)

  20. #33
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    369
    Like
    72
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The acting GM joined this team as a marketing intern. Need I say more?
    That about does it.

  21. #34
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    369
    Like
    72
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    "Punitive Lohseing"? The baseball dictionary just gained a colorful new entry. I guess the Twins really showed Kyle, didn't they:
    "Punitive Lohseing"
    Thanks for making the spelling better. We should register it now!

  22. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-25-2014)

  23. #35
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,035
    Like
    1,626
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    "Punitive Lohseing"
    Thanks for making the spelling better. We should register it now!
    No way man. I liked your phonetic spelling. The technical spelling will never catch on.

  24. These 2 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    h2oface (06-25-2014), jokin (06-25-2014)

  25. #36
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    159
    Like
    174
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    I wonder if anyone ever sat down with Hicks and explained he is kicking MILLIONS of dollars down the drain! Maybe he just isn't that good......or smart

  26. #37
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,284
    Like
    1,283
    Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Berardino updated his blog from earlier today with Gardenhire's comments on Hicks.
    http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...a-new-britain/

    He will play all three outfield positions in New Britain but I honestly don't think that the Twins see his ceiling as a 4th outfielder. The Twins will have pretty much all outfield positions open next year (Arcia isn't without his struggles either). Buxton may advance quickly or he may not -- obviously this year was a big set back.

    This sounds mostly to me about putting Hicks somewhere he is comfortable (part of the reason for New Britain over Rochester is that he is familiar with it and had success there).

    Gardenhire also had this comment:

    “Torii went down and back up and down and back up,” Gardenhire said. “It happens. (Hicks) is not the first person. He’s not going to be the last person. It’s about trial and error up here. This guy has a lot of talent. When it finally does really click on him and he’s able to carry the same confidence that he had a few years ago into this level consistently — put the ball in play, not worry about home runs, not worry about numbers, just worry about (putting) the ball in play more — he’ll be fine. We think he will be. We like his ability, because he’s got a lot of that.”

  27. #38
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,284
    Like
    1,283
    Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    I wonder if anyone ever sat down with Hicks and explained he is kicking MILLIONS of dollars down the drain! Maybe he just isn't that good......or smart
    And maybe he fully appreciates it and it just puts more pressure on him.

    It is impossible for any of us to really comprehend what it takes to succeed at the major league level.

  28. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    pierre75275 (06-25-2014)

  29. #39
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    104
    Like
    9
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not sure about easy or not, but:

    - Hicks has higher OBP than Fuld
    - Hicks has higher OBP than Span had his last 3 seasons with the Twins (did not hear too many cries about how awful Span was.)
    - The Twins have no back up CF and 3 lumbering corner OFs.
    - Hicks is not even playing Centerfield in Hardware City.

    "Right" Choice?
    Guess a whole bunch of wrongs might make a right...

    People keep bringing up OBP like it trumps every other stat. Hicks batted .192 last yr. & is at .198 this yr. but BAM!...his OBP is .338. His SLG% is .262, which is #295 out of 300 players with more than 120 AB. Right now, he can't hit ML pitching & I doubt his walk rate is sustainable.

    Fuld is not a great option either but he still has a better BA, SLG % & OPS than Hicks. I'm guessing once Plouffe returns Santana will get most of the starts in CF & Fuld will become a defensive replacement for the corner OF or a pinch runner...a role he will be good at. I don't think that's a role Hicks should be used at unless they are giving up on him ever being a ML regular.

    I hope Hicks eventually becomes a good ML player but he isn't one now. I think he definitely needs to be in the minors learning to hit. I don't know if they are punishing him by putting him in AA, maybe he feels more comfortable there & it's better that he has some success at a lower level to rebuild his confidence.

    Santana & Fuld can both play CF so they don't need another backup OF. Having Plouffe & Nunez both out is causing problems. I know Florimon sucks but they need "someone" who can play MI. I guess they could cut Florimon & bring up Bernier but it's probably a wash

  30. These 3 users like golfboy1's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-25-2014), RonCoomer (06-27-2014), stringer bell (06-27-2014)

  31. #40
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    304
    Like
    13
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Edit: There is an element of "punishment" in this (so to speak) in that Hicks could have been kept on a rehab assignment another two weeks (at major league pay) and then optioned to NB. By optioning him now, he is back at minor league pay (I think) and his accrual of major league service days is stopped. Again, per Berardino's blog entry today:

    Players accrue big-league service time while on rehab assignments in conjunction with the major league disabled list, so there is some financial component to ending a rehab assignment early. Hicks entered the year with 124 days of big-league service time and has accrued 87 more through Tuesday, putting him at 211 career days: one year and 28 days.

    A full year of service time is 183 days.


    In fairness, I think the Twins view it as "good contract management" not punishment.
    I think there is an element of smart business practice in this as well, because if he gets hurt (again) he continues to accrue service time. I don't know if this (service time) specifically happened to Cuddyer, but didn't he break his foot on a rehab assignment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.