Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hicks off DL, Optioned to New Britain

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hicks off DL, Optioned to New Britain

Twins PR man Dustin Morse tweeted moments ago that Aaron Hicks was removed from the Disabled List and optioned to AA New Britain.

That's where he has been playing for the last 4-5 games, and with all the work he needs to do to gain back his swing and his prospect status, I think it was the easy and right choice.

2. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (06-25-2014), gunnarthor (06-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Very interesting. I wonder (hope) that a stop in AAA is in order before a recall to the big club. I believe there is a difference between AA and AAA and spending time there does offer something to the player and the front office (being able to see how he will handle pitchers that have been i the big leagues).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    We should take predictions on the next bizarre twist to this story.

I'll nominate: Hicks petitions International League to use a tee during his at-bats left-handed.

5. These 5 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AM. (06-25-2014), CK (06-25-2014), Joe A. Preusser (06-25-2014), Riverbrian (06-25-2014), Todd_L (06-25-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Good luck to Mr. Hicks. Still hoping he's a good MLB player soon.
    Lighten up Francis....

7. These 6 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (06-25-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-25-2014), JB_Iowa (06-25-2014), Riverbrian (06-25-2014), USAFChief (06-25-2014), USNMCPO (06-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Good luck to Mr. Hicks. Still hoping he's a good MLB player soon.
    Here, here. It would be a huge bonus for this franchise if he could end up being a quality MLB player whether that is for us or as a trade chip.

9. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (06-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    We should take predictions on the next bizarre twist to this story.
    I'd like to say he's going to take up pitching again, but seeing as he'll be out of options before that's beneficial to the Twins, that'll never happen in one of their uniforms.

So instead I'll say he gets rabies.

11. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    To think, it only took about a year and a half to be sure he wasn't ready to play in the Majors. He was good enough and showed enough potential in AA to have the Twins trade away all their CF depth for some needed prospect arms.
    Hicks isn't done yet. Good luck to him on his way back to the Show.

13. These 4 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (06-25-2014), jokin (06-25-2014), Sconnie (06-25-2014), Todd_L (06-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    This unfortunately was the right move. I believe in Hicks but I'd let him collect his thoughts in AA (and not hear about him the rest of the year). As wild card competitors the Twins will need to roll with Fuld and cross their fingers or make a trade.

So there so annoyed with Hicks switch hitting and play in New Britian

[QUOTE=Seth Stohs;247918]Twins PR man Dustin Morse tweeted moments ago that Aaron Hicks was removed from the Disabled List and optioned to AA New Britain.

This makes sense if they are doing this to improve Hicks and not just to punish him for going back to switch hitting again. Why does this organization always seem to develop "Whipping boys" and yet others like Florimon and Parmalee skate by because the Manager Ron Gardenhire likes them and they are "Gardy Guys". Parmalee especially he has done very little to deserve the faith that Gardenhire continues to show in that guy by starting him. At best Parmalee is a bench guy and 1 day a week fill in.
    I realize Hicks has been a struggler and not doing exactly what they want but this speaks more on Terry Ryan's judgement to bring him up to early than it does the player itself not being ready.

With Arcia whiffing so consistently and the poopy plate appearances by Parmalee (only hit's when nothing is really on the line with the exception of the Red Sox Homerun) getting starts wouldn't it have made more sense to give Hicks these at bats instead of Parmaless or Arcia. Time will tell but I would rather watch wasted at bats with Hicks and some actual good defense then see the Twins continue to waste at bats on AAAA playes or even a complete roster spot on a non-hitter in Florimon. Heck I would rather they roll with Rosario getting these chances that Parmalee and Arcia keep wasting but the Twins do not even have him on the 40 man.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimedude2 View Post
    This makes sense if they are doing this to improve Hicks and not just to punish him for going back to switch hitting again.
    I think that is exactly what they are trying to do. The following quotes are taken from a couple of different posts by Mike Berardino in the "Twins Now" blog on the Pioneer Press:

Sunday's post:
    “If a guy doesn’t feel comfortable, what are you going to do?” Ryan said. “You can’t force something like that. I’m going to support Aaron Hicks on how he feels the most comfortable going up to the plate. He’s still a young man. He’s still learning the game. There’s still a lot of upside.”
    “We’ll have to see if we can salvage this thing,” Ryan said of Hicks. “He’s certainly salvageable. We haven’t given up on Aaron Hicks at all. He’s the best center fielder we have in this organization right now until you see what (Byron) Buxton can do once he gets to the upper levels.”

From a post today:

Asked Sunday whether he regretted bringing Hicks straight to the majors off that 2012 season, Twins general manager Terry Ryan minced no words.

“Well, it hasn’t worked out,” Ryan said. “There are players that do skip that it has worked out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. He was next in line. I made a decision. It hasn’t worked out right, so I’ll take responsibility.”

To me, it is an acknowledgment that there is shared responsibility. The Twins didn't have many options after trading Span and Revere and Hicks went out and "won" the job in ST 2013. But he couldn't sustain that performance during the season. Unfortunately the Twins had pretty much put their eggs in the Aaron Hicks basket by that point. The same thing also happened this spring.

Aaron Hicks also has responsibility if the quotes about his preparation were correct. As for his giving up switch hitting in May, it looks to me like an act of desperation from a young player who was floundering. He needs to be able to work this out away from the major league spotlight.

At this point, I too believe that Hicks' confidence has to be at an all-time low. I hope he can get his game stabilized and eventually work his way back to the big league roster -- perhaps in September.

Edit: There is an element of "punishment" in this (so to speak) in that Hicks could have been kept on a rehab assignment another two weeks (at major league pay) and then optioned to NB. By optioning him now, he is back at minor league pay (I think) and his accrual of major league service days is stopped. Again, per Berardino's blog entry today:

Players accrue big-league service time while on rehab assignments in conjunction with the major league disabled list, so there is some financial component to ending a rehab assignment early. Hicks entered the year with 124 days of big-league service time and has accrued 87 more through Tuesday, putting him at 211 career days: one year and 28 days.

A full year of service time is 183 days.

In fairness, I think the Twins view it as "good contract management" not punishment.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 06-25-2014 at 02:14 PM.

17. These 5 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-25-2014), cmathewson (06-25-2014), h2oface (06-25-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (06-25-2014), TRex (06-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks should be back with the Twins in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Shane, I think Hicks is the Twins' best CF option but do you really think that being w/the major league club is in Hicks' best self interests (and ultimately in the Twins' long term best interests)???

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not to repeat myself too much, but Hicks isn't a major league hitter right now, not even close. What is best for the player is to put him at whatever level he feels comfortable and can thrive. I thought AAA, but maybe AA is better.

Those of you who think Hicks is the best option in center field right now are not seeing what I am seeing. Santana and Fuld in center will provide more offense with a slight deficit on defense (when Fuld is there) or more (when Santana is there).

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Hicks's laid back attitude drove Gardy up a wall and he was starting Santana over Hicks even when Hicks was up here. So what would be the point.

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LaVelle is reporting Hicks was optioned to Rochester. Is he blogging from Allary's again?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    I think Hicks still has a chance to be a good major league player I just don't think it will be with the Twins.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Not until he gets his head screwed on right... There are players with all the talent in the world, who just can't perform at the major league level, because they don't have the mental/emotional makeup that it takes to be successful. I'm starting to believe that Hicks is one of these players. His head is getting in the way of his playing the game at the level everyone projected... Until he figures that out, he's not worth the space on the major league roster.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When he starts hitting again, I'm sure he'll get the call to Rochester. But there's no rush. Hopefully, he gets up there and establishes himself before the playoffs. I still believe in him.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 860 Times in 554 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    When he starts hitting again, I'm sure he'll get the call to Rochester. But there's no rush. Hopefully, he gets up there and establishes himself before the playoffs. I still believe in him.
    Classic StarTrib editing, dopey headline-writing and LaVelle proofreading (or lack thereof), how can you have this content sitting online for the last 3 hours???:

Hicks completes rehab and officially optioned to Rochester.

Aaron Hicks, who was already at Class AA New Britain on a rehabilitation assignment, has been reinstated from the disabled list and officially optioned to the Rock Cats.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...9AU5b5Dt2WJ.97

Especially when making it a point to say that it was "official"??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast