Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Valencia Optioned to Rochester (More Moves, Maloney, Mastroianni, Walters)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Valencia Optioned to Rochester

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    May be the change of hitting coach will help

Where is Ben Revere.

Liked 100 Times in 60 Posts
    so now we have 3 catchers + 13 pitchers + 6 possible outfielders defiantly a well constructed roster.

With the current state of the rotation I think the Twins have just decided to scrap the 3B position altogether and put all hands on deck in the outfield.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who is the starting 3B?! I would assume Plouffe will get a crack at it. Carroll and Casilla will get their licks too, especially if Mastroianni gets any time at 2B. Interesting moves...

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good moves at this time! Valencia needs a change of scenery. He will always be a journeyman, at best. Swing is too long--can't handle, or is a sucker for the outside and low breaking ball. Similar to what Cuddyer would always fall for! Besides, Valencia will not be a part of the future with the infielders coming up in a few years.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It occurs to me that Plouffe is an infielder again. It also occurs to me that the bottom half of the roster isn't important. I don't know what the official spin on Valencia's demotion will be, but the word "humbling" comes to me. Also "tuneup". Valencia could go either way--come back with a vengence or continue his slide from regular on a division winner to .....Triple A third baseman. I hope Maloney gets through to Rochester. I liked what I saw of him in spring training and I think he could be an effective starter, but he doesn't seem cut out for the bullpen.

If anything it sends the message that players will begin to be held responsible for performance. Liriano needs to figure something out! I would think Carroll would be the 3B. Not to sure if Gardy wants to see Plouffe throwing across the diamond too much again this season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think either Walters or Mastroianni will be with the team for the duration, but I can't disagree with moving Valencia or Maloney.

Valencia does not help with the bat or glove and has little value on the bench. He lived off his mirage of a high babip his rookie season. This is his season to step it up or disappear. Still a chance he will get hot in AAA and get another chance. Most likely his best year in his career will have been his first.

It is unlikely anyone will pick up Maloney. If the Twins retain him, I hope he goes into the Rochester rotation. Lefties will always get more shots and sometimes develop later as a result.

Not sure how Mastroianni fits with Komatsu as an extra OF that are poor PH options. I don't know why they need two of them. Seems redundant though they did give Mastroianni did play 5 games at 2B. That doesn't make him a good option at 2B. Any chance the Twins will have a claim in for Blake DeWitt?

I would guess Walters will be a long reliever. I don't see anything encouraging in his minor league numbers. I would have rather seen them look at Slama. Do they really need 13 pitchers?

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I guess this is no surprise. Not too excited about Carroll and Casilla playing the hot corner. As far as Plouffe playing 3B, I'd have to see it to believe it. I hope they let him have a shot without a short leash. Overall this is a move that should have been made. Maloney for Walters is a wash. Maybe Walters will catch some lightning in a bottle.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    Seems like the right thing to do at the time. I think Casilla's arm should be good enough for third. Walters is sorta intriguing. Seems to have a decent krate at least. Maybe he can stick.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Palmer View Post
    If anything it sends the message that players will begin to be held responsible for performance. Liriano needs to figure something out! I would think Carroll would be the 3B. Not to sure if Gardy wants to see Plouffe throwing across the diamond too much again this season.
    A little late to start holding players responsible for sucking. Not sure Gardy wants to stick around much longer...

Well I got my wish. I haven't been liking what I've seen from Danny all season and was calling for his demotion long before his 0-for-whatever skid. If Danny was put in a situation to succeed and help the team, he inevitably failed, which tells me his problems are more mental than physical, trying too hard perhaps.

Too bad for Maloney. A resurgence (or surgence?) from him would have been a feel-good story. Still never understood Bill Smith adding him to the 40-man roster right away in the winter.

I'm a Gardy fan and am not interested in discussing him being fired, but what does this say about his roster construction out of spring training? How could he have been so wrong about so many of the players he hand-selected to head north with the team?

Liked 2,941 Times in 1,256 Posts
    At long last...Mauer to 3b!

I wish.

Bout time! Put Carroll at 3rd. Well see how this new pitcher does on Saturday.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta believe that Carroll plays third every time before Casilla goes over there. I would think Plouffe plays third before they would use Casilla. Carroll has played over 200 games at 3B, Casilla has played 19 innings (1 start).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feels like the team is not so slowly disintegrating.

Whatever.

Atteberry was reporting on the postgame radio broadcast that Walters was up for Liriano to go to the bullpen. Maybe that's already common knowledge, but it's the first I've heard of it. Anyone?

Edit to add: LEN3 reporting it at Strib: http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...150885045.html

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    At long last...Mauer to 3b!

I wish.
    See Joe's throw into Albert's backside this evening? He's got a soft glove, and good footwork, and a great arm. Just - he needs to work on the angles out in the field some. Give him time and he could be an excellent third baseman. But - does that mean we're stuck with Drew & Doumit behind the plate for the duration? One can hit but hasn't got a position on a team with a $20M DH, and the other one can't hit the gaps more than a few times per year.

However - to the point: Valencia was a mess behind the plate and, if he wasn't willing to do whatever was required to fix the problem, well, if this team needs to make an example of somebody, nothing wrong with choosing a guy who isn't contributing at the moment but at least has a chance to right the ship in the minors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast