Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Stays and Who Goes?

I could see giving Romeo a shot just in case we got a good offer for Plouffe at the deadline. It would be nice to get an idea of what we could expect. Then again, maybe we keep Plouffe long-term as a super utility guy. A couple months ago that seemed like a bettr plan but I think our Vargas is our DH of the future and he is a switch hitter. Plouffe is pretty bad in the OF and Escobar is a good back-up at 3B in short stints.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    this is why some of us wanted meyer up early.....so he'd get exposure this year before he hit the wall......
    The 71 IP wall? I like Meyer as much as the next guy and think he has a bright future, but let's not play revisionist history here and say the Twins were 100% wrong in not bringing up Meyer earlier, if anything his recent struggles show the Twins perhaps have been correct in their handling of him.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I could see giving Romeo a shot just in case we got a good offer for Plouffe at the deadline. It would be nice to get an idea of what we could expect. Then again, maybe we keep Plouffe long-term as a super utility guy. A couple months ago that seemed like a bettr plan but I think our Vargas is our DH of the future and he is a switch hitter. Plouffe is pretty bad in the OF and Escobar is a good back-up at 3B in short stints.
    At this point, Plouffe is likely going to be our starting 3rd baseman at the beginning of 2015 regardless, so their should be no rush getting him out the door either way.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    If the Twins wanted to trade Plouffe, I bet they could get something from the Nationals for him - maybe a Denard Span reunion?
    Zimmerman's recent injuries means he's probably done at 3rd base, so that creates a log jam in the outfield (he's been moved to Left field).

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regarding Plouffe, I hope he starts next season as the team's regular left fielder. That would mean that his bat has held up over the year and that Sano is ready to take over third base. In my book, that will be a win-win. I've thought earlier that Plouffe would have trouble in the OF, but watching him this year, I think he has enough athleticism to move to the OF and be a better OF than Cuddy ever was.

6. These 3 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-24-2014), PseudoSABR (06-24-2014), SpiritofVodkaDave (06-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    And on that note, I'll disagree with it all. Plouffe is slow, and not an outfielder. He's not that good at 3rd either. Hopefully he'll be traded, or anything, just not to be around another year.
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Regarding Plouffe, I hope he starts next season as the team's regular left fielder. That would mean that his bat has held up over the year and that Sano is ready to take over third base. In my book, that will be a win-win. I've thought earlier that Plouffe would have trouble in the OF, but watching him this year, I think he has enough athleticism to move to the OF and be a better OF than Cuddy ever was.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The 71 IP wall? I like Meyer as much as the next guy and think he has a bright future, but let's not play revisionist history here and say the Twins were 100% wrong in not bringing up Meyer earlier, if anything his recent struggles show the Twins perhaps have been correct in their handling of him.

Not sure where I said they were 100% wrong....I try to offer my opinions as opinions, not facts. Take it any way you want, but no place did I say what you are saying I said.
    Lighten up Francis....

Not sure where I said they were 100% wrong....I try to offer my opinions as opinions, not facts. Take it any way you want, but no place did I say what you are saying I said.
    Sorry about that, I still don't see the "wall" that he hit, and I am not sure where/when we should have brought him up earlier.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    this is why some of us wanted meyer up early.....so he'd get exposure this year before he hit the wall......
    The guy has only pitched 75 innings. If that's his "wall" this season, he has larger issues at hand.

If he's getting hammered in AAA, he shouldn't be anywhere near a MLB roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    And on that note, I'll disagree with it all. Plouffe is slow, and not an outfielder. He's not that good at 3rd either. Hopefully he'll be traded, or anything, just not to be around another year.
    I wouldn't mind trading Plouffe if the team can get something of interest back in return. That being said, I couldn't care less about his defense as long as it's not mind-blowingly laughable. I really doubt Plouffe would be worse than Willingham, Kubel, Colabello and Arcia in the outfield and I am/was much more concerned with their bats. As for his defense at 3B, it seems to me it's been solidly average this year if not above average.

12. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (06-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The guy has only pitched 75 innings. If that's his "wall" this season, he has larger issues at hand.

If he's getting hammered in AAA, he shouldn't be anywhere near a MLB roster.
    Well...
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=guerri001mat

edit: That was just for fun by the way. I agree Meyer needs to get back on track and I can acknowledge the organization may have had a better feel for this situation than many of us expected.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-24-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    As for his defense at 3B, it seems to me it's been solidly average this year if not above average.
    Yep. I've really liked what I've seen from Plouffe this season. He's no longer a butcher at third and it's time we stop referring to him as such.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Well...
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=guerri001mat

edit: That was just for fun by the way. I agree Meyer needs to get back on track and I can acknowledge the organization may have had a better feel for this situation than many of us expected.
    Heh. I won't make excuses for Guerrier but Meyer is expected to be a front of the rotation starter. He needs to be a starter for as long as he can this season... If they want to shut him down later and put him in the Minnesota pen, that's not a bad idea but for the time being, he needs to start games. Given his recent performances, he needs to start games in Rochester because the Twins can't afford to have those types of starts in Minnesota.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Oh, I agree that it is disappointing the last few starts. This looks to me a lot like Gibson's year last year, only shorter, and at AAA......which is disappointing. And I hope (and believe) they are smarter than we are about this stuff.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Heh. I won't make excuses for Guerrier but Meyer is expected to be a front of the rotation starter. He needs to be a starter for as long as he can this season... If they want to shut him down later and put him in the Minnesota pen, that's not a bad idea but for the time being, he needs to start games. Given his recent performances, he needs to start games in Rochester because the Twins can't afford to have those types of starts in Minnesota.
    This is exactly what I was thinking, he needs to spend as much time possible starting. I think I heard somewhere the projected innings limit was around 150 innings. So let him start for 130 to 140 innings then maybe give him another 10 or 20 innings in the MLB bullpen.

On another note, what about Rosario? Is it possible the Twins give him the call when they reduce the number of pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    On another note, what about Rosario? Is it possible the Twins give him the call when they reduce the number of pitchers?
    He has only played in 23 games this year, I'd have to think it would be at least another few weeks before the Twins would even consider it, and while he has been hitting well in AA he hasn't exactly been lighting the league on fire. I think Hicks gets another shot before they go down the Eddie Rosario route.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Herrmann in the lineup for the Red Wings. So he won't be in Anaheim tonight.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Yep. I've really liked what I've seen from Plouffe this season. He's no longer a butcher at third and it's time we stop referring to him as such.
    Correction: He's no longer a Buscher at third

21. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-24-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    doesnt swarsak still have sn option? Not saying that is probable
    NOpe
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I agree. That's why I am thinking it will be possible to get a pretty good return in the next month. I guess the point his that his value is highest at 3rd base so from an asset management standpoint it might make sense to trade him. Short-term it hurts us a bit but long-term it makes sense to move him if the return is right. I would think we could get a decent corner OF prospect for him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123