Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Class Achter

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would love to see Achter up with the Twins instead of Jared Burton. I feel like TD readers are split when it comes to supporting Just Bombs Burton or calling for his outright release. I'm in the latter camp. And Achter isn't the only guy down in AAA who would be an improvement over Burton.

I think Burton just shut the Sox down for first save! Win Twins!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    I would love to see Achter up with the Twins instead of Jared Burton. I feel like TD readers are split when it comes to supporting Just Bombs Burton or calling for his outright release. I'm in the latter camp. And Achter isn't the only guy down in AAA who would be an improvement over Burton.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see Achter up too but I am not sure who he should replace. Burton was terrible the first month of the season and has been ok since. I don't see anyone else deserving of being let go. Maybe swarzak after the season. Burton likely will not resign either. Deduno should be kept as he is still not arbitration eligible after the season. Deunsing may be offered a contract extension or traded who knows there. I can see Achter getting a September call up but I don't see how he would get up here any sooner without a trade or 2 or a rash of injuries. Isn't there another lights out reliever or 2 in AAA Pressly and Tonkin who are first in line? Also there is another wave of relievers on their way too.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-22-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With so much pitching seemingly coming through the Twins system, it just doesn't make sense to hold onto a guy like Burton who "has been ok since [the first month of the season]." Okay isn't enough for a team that's bordering on contention and hoping to build for the future. Burton just doesn't make sense to me, while Achter seems like a step in the right direction.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With so much pitching seemingly coming through the Twins system, it just doesn't make sense to hold onto a guy like Burton who "has been ok since [the first month of the season]." Okay isn't enough for a team that's bordering on contention and hoping to build for the future. Burton just doesn't make sense to me, while Achter seems like a step in the right direction.
    You're going to have to break Gardy's mancrush for Burt-ie. After today, it's apparent that Burton is not only being asked to appear in many of the high-leverage situations, he is also now the back-up closer.

Like him too, but you need to be able to spot trends and Burton is trending upwards.
    You know, sometimes a pitcher goes through a bad streak and then discovers how his fundamentals are off, or he is tipping pitches. Maybe Burt had corrected a flaw.
    Last edited by Kelly Vance; 06-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Achter is actually a very extreme flyball pitcher, which worries me. To succeed in the Majors he would need more strikeouts than he's getting in AAA and fewer walks, which isn't ordinarily how it works out.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Achter is actually a very extreme flyball pitcher, which worries me. To succeed in the Majors he would need more strikeouts than he's getting in AAA and fewer walks, which isn't ordinarily how it works out.
    I heard he also doesn't like America or puppies. We should cut him.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Vance View Post
    Like him too, but you need to be able to spot trends and Burton is trending upwards.
    You know, spometimes a pitcher goes through a bad streak and then discovers how his fundamentals are off, or he is tipping pitches. Maybe Burt had corrected a flaw.
    What you see as "trending upwards" is a ridiculously low BABIP artificial mirage. His BABIP has been trending downwards:

Last 7 days: .000
    Last 14 days: .188
    Last month: .333

that .188 is ridiculous and you know what that .000 is. If anyone might actually give the Twins anything for Burton and even let the Twins pay the rest of his salary, it will be a huge win.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

11. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-22-2014), Paul Pleiss (06-22-2014)

well, lets see. Today he faced three batters, struck out 2 on filthy stuff, and got the third on a weak roller/bunt. Yesterday he faced 4 batters and got em all. If you trace him back the past recent outings he looks different.

Burton also gave up no hits in his prior 3 outings before friday and today.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't want to steal the attention away from Achter here by lamenting Jared Burton, so I turned my response into a blog entry.

http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php/5402...-for-dismissal

Tell me why he should stay on the roster.
    Thank you!! let's keep the Jared Burton conversation over on the other forum. Burton, the guy who has given up 0 runs in five straight games and in 9 or his last 11. But anyway.

I do understand. I'd like to see Achter come up, but with 13 there now, and wanted to get down to 12, now isn't realistic. Also, the Twins have him in the minors throughout this season and could add him in the offseason (or in September). Until then, let's hope he, and the rest of the Red Wings pitchers can keep pitching really well.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Achter should obviously be up instead of Burton. Not sure how there is a counter-argument..

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Achter should obviously be up instead of Burton. Not sure how there is a counter-argument..
    This guy would give you one:

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quite the story for Achter. Hope he gets an opportunity with the big league club later this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Agreed, I personally want to see Achter in the bigs for a while and see how he does when he dips his toe in the pool.

There are worse things in the world than having exciting prospects in AAA that don't get promoted because the ML staff is doing well. Kind of an alternate universe compared to the last few years. I don't hope that any of the current staff fail, but we have good options when someone inevitably does.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great story!

He is 25. His opportunity will come. I hope they have a plan to entrust lower leverage bullpen roles to younger players next year. It is too easy to find a veteran bullpen arm in the winter.