Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hicks Bats Left-Handed

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 851 Times in 547 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Assuming all those things are true, it's bad. The only one we know is true is waffling on whether to be a switch hitter or not. Still. If they're true, why would you insist on publicly stating them and then trade him. It would be like crapping on the living room floor the day of the open house.
    Welcome back, ChristyM.

Unfortunately, the Twins are recently quite familiar with your earthy style of excess roster management.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Hicks will be fine, perhaps this whole lowering of expectations amongst all is exactly what he needs to eventually thrive, it certainly worked for Plouffe (before his sudden and shocking big year at AAA) and Dozier who both eventually caught up to their raw talent.

It's frustrating he switched back so suddenly, but I give him credit for having the balls to realize his new approach wasn't going to work, and then go back to the switch hitting, even if he knew it would irk some people. I will be rooting for him more than ever now, and Ryan is right, he is the best CF option we have at this point.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

3. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    This reminds me a lot of what Plouffe went through. Failing at several positions, not hitting, not really showing any urgency about it, getting under people's skin in the process. Also I'm glad Ryan is back to be a spokesman for Hicks--he needs an ally in this organization.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    This reminds me a lot of what Plouffe went through. Failing at several positions, not hitting, not really showing any urgency about it, getting under people's skin in the process. Also I'm glad Ryan is back to be a spokesman for Hicks--he needs an ally in this organization.

Plouffe was also part of the 'Fun Bunch', but has now seemingly gotten very serious about his career. And there does not seem to be any animosity from the Twins, so I would imagine they will also be supportive of Hicks as he comes to terms with the fact that talent alone will not be enough for him to succeed at the highest level. I still think an outfield of Buxton, Hicks and Rosario would rival anything the Twins have ever put out (defensively, at least).

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Can we confirm yet which arm he'll be pitching with?
    This would certainly open up the rarely-seen option to take advantage of matchups by moving him to the outfield for a batter or two and then back to the mound...

... of course, only if it doesn't compromise the DH or 3rd catcher at any point in the game. Sigh.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Assuming all those things are true, it's bad. The only one we know is true is waffling on whether to be a switch hitter or not. Still. If they're true, why would you insist on publicly stating them and then trade him. It would be like crapping on the living room floor the day of the open house.
    I agree with the analogy, but I still would not put it past the Twins to drive a guys value down, then dump him. Is Jim Hoey available?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I agree with the analogy, but I still would not put it past the Twins to drive a guys value down, then dump him. Is Jim Hoey available?
    This is very true. Still....I don't see the Twins giving up on him. I do think (thankfully) he's not coming back to the big leagues until he's demonstrated the ability to be ready for it. That might be awhile.

9. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (06-24-2014)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234