Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand why hitters don't take advantage of this situation

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts

I don't understand why hitters don't take advantage of this situation

As anyone who follows baseball knows, it's been an ongoing trend for a team to shift their infielders in accordance to the hitter's spray chart. The shifts are especially exaggerated for left handed pull hitters. Last night I took this image at Target Field while Adam Dunn was at bat.

What bugs the crap out of me is this: Why don't these guys learn how to bunt!!!

I don't know about you, but if I saw a team doing that to me, I would think it would be a huge strategic advantage to be able to lay one down the line and walk to first base safely. Hell, it doesn't even half to be a good bunt. As long as it stays on the left side of the infield, the batter is going to make it to first safely. Then they would stop the shifts and you can go back to mashing the ball to the right side of the field.

And if I were a manager, to me it would be inexcusable to not try to take advantage of this situation. The defense is basically conceding a hit. It just doesn't make sense to me.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

2. This user likes kydoty's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-20-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It drives me insane. Bunt, damn it. Beat their shift.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    They think they can beat the shift - and they would rather hit a home run (or strike out trying) than to bunt against a shift.

It's pride and arrogance and non-sensical unwritten rule following.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Statistics state that they probably should bunt occasionally just to keep the teams honest.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/shoul...ers-ever-bunt/

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    A: Pride. These are the same guys that feel "dissed" if they get $1 less than a friend on their multi million dollar deal, that are mad when they are asked to move to another position, or when they are moved in the batting order.

B: Skill. despite what we might think, it isn't easy to bunt. You want your best, slow footed, hitters practicing bunting, or practicing hitting?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    What was the context of the at-bat? What inning was it, and what was the score?

If it's early in the game, bunting only puts Dunn (and his speed) at first base. It also sets up a prime double-play situation. The Sox would still need at least two hits to drive him in, so why not let him swing away?

If it's late in the game and the score is close, if Dunn successfully bunts he's going to be pinch-run for, which could be a problem if that spot in the lineup comes up again.

Fairness in conversation - I'm strongly biased against just about every bunt if it's not done by a pitcher.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 06-20-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Unwritten rules require you to eat a fastball for it and then all go wrestle over it at the pitchers mound like 4 year olds.

So, in other words, no good reason not to.

9. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (06-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I also suspect, but am not sure, that pitches pitch the hitters to pull by pitching in so it'll be harder to lay a bunt down the 3rd base side.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Unwritten rules require you to eat a fastball for it and then all go wrestle over it at the pitchers mound like 4 year olds.

Constantly proving he doesn't understand the unwritten rules ...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Constantly proving he doesn't understand the unwritten rules ...
    The thread in question indicates your suggestion is actually the reverse.

You seem to forget someone already ate a pitch for that this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I also suspect, but am not sure, that pitches pitch the hitters to pull by pitching in so it'll be harder to lay a bunt down the 3rd base side.
    I agree. Also, laying down a bunt on a 95 MPH fastball isn't easy no matter where the location of the pitch. It's not a 100% success rate even for good bunters and for these guys it'd be much less considering the bunt is not part of these players normall repertoir. I've never seen a stat on bunt success rates, but even for the guys you expect to bunt, you see a ton of pop ups and attempts that go foul. If David Ortiz has a .400 OBP and his bunting success rate was .500, would it really be in his best interest to lay it down when the best result is he'll only be standing on 1st?

I like the novelty of it and wouldn't mind seeing guys try it to keep the defense honest, but I don't know that it would work out as well as we'd assume.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-20-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 482 Times in 234 Posts
    Are we sure Dunn wouldn't still be thrown out if he bunted?
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

16. These 2 users like GCTF's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (06-20-2014), Siehbiscuit (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    If Dunn dropped a bunt down successfully and reached base at a .600 clip from bunting, I still don't think teams would change its approach. Dunn IS dangerous because he has about as much raw power as any one in the game. Even though he strikes out a TON, he also still gets walked a lot. The fear is the long ball and that is the ONLY TOOL he has. If the ChiSox want him bunting when there is a shift, there's no reason he should even be in the lineup. His skill is hitting for power.

Kubel???? No excuse for it. He can't hit anything!

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    If Dunn dropped a bunt down successfully and reached base at a .600 clip from bunting, I still don't think teams would change its approach. Dunn IS dangerous because he has about as much raw power as any one in the game. Even though he strikes out a TON, he also still gets walked a lot. The fear is the long ball and that is the ONLY TOOL he has. If the ChiSox want him bunting when there is a shift, there's no reason he should even be in the lineup. His skill is hitting for power.

Kubel???? No excuse for it. He can't hit anything!
    Adam Dunn is an exception, as he hits the ball a long way, takes a lot of walks, and is absolute garbage at everything else.

But lately they're doing shifts for a lot more players...players who have a lot more tools to work with than Adam Dunn.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I think the reason player's don't, is that most of the guys who these shifts are done for are guys like Dunn, who's offensive game is built around their power.

If they take this approach, you literally have eliminated their most dangerous tool from the game, so I would say this plays to your advantage as well.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

If they don't bunt because of some unwritten rule, where is the unwritten rule that says you shouldn't being doing these exaggerated shifts?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I keep remembering Denny Hocking and his slap-bunts. If he can do that, even I could lay down a bunt down third.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK. Got to think context. CONTEXT. Who do they shift like this? Adam Dunn, David Ortiz.

OK. Let's say they do bunt towards third and it is a good bunt. Then they got to RUN to first base.

Are you sure that the third baseman (from the SS position) or the pitcher cannot get to the ball and throw to the first baseman before any of those gentlemen reach safe?

They do not shift fast people...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by RIP BYTO View Post
    If they don't bunt because of some unwritten rule, where is the unwritten rule that says you shouldn't being doing these exaggerated shifts?
    The problem lies with your attempt to make sense of what is essentially toddler logic for problem solving.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 06-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast