Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Balance I Guess I Like Perk's Candor

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

On Balance I Guess I Like Perk's Candor

Perkins spoke to Mackey & Judd on ESPN1500 and gave Pinto a broadside for his catching ability. It's pretty interesting that Perk would jab a past and future teammate, but it seems he says what he thinks most of the time. The article I'm linking goes into pitch framing, which ranks second to me to defensive metrics, but the irony is that Suzuki is also rated very low as a pitch framer.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...pitch-framing/

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'ts what we as fans love to hear... not sure that it's a good thing. But it does give us a pitcher's insights on a catcher and what's important.

Perkins can maybe get away with it.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    I really don't know what to make of this interview.

I thought about it earlier today when looking at Correia's starts and wondered if having Suzuki catch the last 2 starts had made a difference. But when I looked, Correia had some bad outings with Suzuki and some good ones with Pinto -- so I decided that really wasn't a part of the story. I certainly never saw Correia cast any blame on Pinto. Since Deduno was the only other starter that Pinto caught with any regularity, it was hard to draw any conclusions.

But now I wonder how much impact the relievers may have had on Pinto's fate. And it is confusing because looking just at metrics, Suzuki doesn't rate well, either.

I still think sending Pinto down was probably a good thing since he wasn't getting much time behind the plate at the ML level. Hope the work pays off for him.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perkins also said you don't want a 25-year old DH, which I agree with. Pinto needs to be able to be competent as a receiver and apparently he hasn't been.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I really don't know what to make of this interview.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Perkins also said you don't want a 25-year old DH, which I agree with. Pinto needs to be able to be competent as a receiver and apparently he hasn't been.
    Perkins said a lot more things than that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perk didnt say anything everybody didnt already know. Pinto has a big league bat and needs work on his pitch framing and game calling. FO has said it before

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Remember when Pavano said he wanted Butera to be his main catcher because they make such a better battery?

When comparing the stats between when Butera and Mauer caught him, the pitching lines were very similiar. So I think its mainly a mental thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Perk didnt say anything everybody didnt already know. Pinto has a big league bat and needs work on his pitch framing and game calling. FO has said it before
    Mostly true, but that is some Major League under-the-bus throwing!

Also, for a catching prospect, Pinto is not young.

10. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-18-2014)

I'm fine with criticism if it's also said face to face to the individual and it's not done in a negative way.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    They did this to Ramos not long before he was traded. Finding some things that weren't up to par kind of like setting up a reason for the trade. Can't think it will be fun down the road, for Pinto, if they get back on the field together.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    I'm fine with criticism if it's also said face to face to the individual and it's not done in a negative way.
    Yep. It's possible that conversation took place. Again, not being insiders, the things we don't know.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Mostly true, but that is some Major League under-the-bus throwing!

Also, for a catching prospect, Pinto is not young.
    I didnt say anything about his age. This is more about trying to create a story when their isnt one. This is the big leagues...Pinto can handle constructive critisism.

One of the things Perkins said is Pinto is young and came up through the system quickly. No and no.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    I never find public comments about a young player's game to be a good idea. Perkins should've stopped here:

He can hit, but that’s not what it’s all about. You’ve got to be able to do other things, especially a young guy like that.
    Everything beyond that was completely unnecessary.

17. These 3 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-18-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-17-2014), Sconnie (06-17-2014)

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Everything he said was true.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Where is the rest of the article where he is just being honest and ripping suzuki for being nearly as bad?
    Oh that's right he didn't.

I don't get what he's doing here, at all.

20. These 3 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-17-2014), mike wants wins (06-18-2014), Sconnie (06-17-2014)

Did the interviewer ask him about Suzuki?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Terry Ryan didn't want a 26 year old DH so he released him...

I am NOT saying Pinto is Ortiz.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    He can't talk about a player that they didn't ask about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast