Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hicks to get an early start on his rehab starting tomorrow....at....where???

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hicks to get an early start on his rehab starting tomorrow....at....Where???

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino · 43m

Hicks to start rehab at New Britain Wednesday

Maybe it means nothing, maybe it means everything. But it sure seems to have implications for the Rochester Red Wings, who are currently tied for 1st place in their division in the IL pennant hunt- and apparently Hicks isn't needed, even though the Wings are without a legitimate CF on the roster.

Meanwhile, New Britian is not in a pennant hunt, but they do have another guy that could very well project as a late-season major league promotion in the same position as Hicks, Eddie Rosario. Is Rosario moving up (seems too soon for that)? Or is Hicks just with the Rock Cats to work on his timing and shoulder a bit....before a promotion to....wait a minute....a promotion to Rochester? Or back to Minnesota?
    Last edited by jokin; 06-17-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Promotion back to Minnesota, I hope.

I will continue to take the minority view on this issue, and say that Hicks is our best option in CF this year.

3. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-17-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post

I will continue to take the minority view on this issue, and say that Hicks is our best option in CF this year.
    I think you're right, but he sure seems to have driven the braintrust crazy with all that has gone down this season. I must admit I was a bit surprised that New Britain was his first assignment. Is the move to New Britain for Hicks sending a message to him to get his act together....right now!? But then, Sam Fuld also rehabbed in New Britain, so maybe Gene Glynn is happy with what he has in the OF in Rochester and preferred not messing with his current rotation while in a pennant race.

Whatever the case, the curious case of "AAron" Hicks takes yet another interesting new turn.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    They rehabbed Fuld at NB, too.
    Yup, in my post:

But then, Sam Fuld also rehabbed in New Britain, so maybe Gene Glynn is happy with what he has in the OF in Rochester and preferred not messing with his current rotation while in a pennant race.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yup, in my post:
    I caught it -- which is why I deleted but you were really quick on the quote.

7. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post

Cannot disagree. Neither Fuld or Hicks will hit for much but at least Hicks has shown he can get on base. Also I want to see Hicks get as much opportunity to develop in the big leagues as possible, the potential is still there. With his on-base ability if he can become even a marginal hitter he could be a valuable asset. If he still cannot show more promise after a full season the team can move on with little regret.

9. This user likes HansGruber's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-17-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
    Cannot disagree. Neither Fuld or Hicks will hit for much but at least Hicks has shown he can get on base. Also I want to see Hicks get as much opportunity to develop in the big leagues as possible, the potential is still there. With his on-base ability if he can become even a marginal hitter he could be a valuable asset. If he still cannot show more promise after a full season the team can move on with little regret.
    Maybe reading too much into the move to New Britain, but perhaps the braintrust sees an opportunity here for Hicks to make a brief return to the place where he had his last big success in 2012....to find that success again quickly and then quickly reignite his big league career?

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-17-2014)

Maybe reading too much into the move to New Britain, but perhaps the braintrust sees an opportunity here for Hicks to make a brief return to the place where he had his last big success in 2012....to find that success again quickly and then quickly reignite his big league career?
    A good a theory as any, though my guess is there is not a lot of thought put into it by the front office. It could just be that it is a good place to get regular at-bats without disrupting other players. I'd certainly be happy if New Britain did spark something in Hicks.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    It also seems to me that it would be easier to learn how to bat right handed (as a RH hitter) against AA 'prospects' than AAA junkballers.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's also supposed to be working in both corner OF spots. Ominous, but expected

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Ominous, indeed. Will he be in a corner spot tomorrow night, in favor of Rosario once again in CF? Stay tuned, the drama continues.

But it sure seems to have implications for the Rochester Red Wings, who are currently tied for 1st place in their division in the IL pennant hunt- and apparently Hicks isn't needed, even though the Wings are without a legitimate CF on the roster.
    I get your point, that it would make sense for the Wings to get a player that fills a need (a player with big league experience, nonetheless) while they are chasing first place, but then again, we have to think of the purpose of the minor leagues, or even AAA for that matter-- it's a place for players to develop, and a holding tank for players who may be needed to plug a hole in a pinch (the Doug Bernier-ish types).

Winning a AAA championship seems like a nice bonus if they are fulfilling the purpose of developing talent, but shouldn't be an organization's main focus at the expense of development...
    Hicks needs some success after saying his confidence was shot-- leading to his new approach. Why not use AA to serve the purpose of development-- let him mash down there using the new approach, then promote him accordingly?

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Or not ominous if it's part of easing him back in for rehab purposes...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think there is anything to read into going to New Britain or playing a corner. He may be needed to play on a corner later this season. I think Chad Allen is in New Britain. Spending some time with him working in LF and RF would be worthwhile.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Or not ominous if it's part of easing him back in for rehab purposes...
    Rob Antony appears to be leaning more towards the ominous direction (as a possible change in roles with the Twins and/or maximizing value as a future trading chip):

Etc.
    Aaron Hicks will report to Class AA New Britain on Wednesday to begin a rehab stint for his sore shoulder. He’ll also play right field part of the time, Antony said, to increase his versatility.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/263578461.html

New Britain was in the Boston area so maybe it was convenient for him to just jump on the bus....

Hicks needs to learn to hit RH against RH pitching in the minors for the rest of the year. I would think Rosario has a better chance of being our CF next year. Maybe they move Rosario to AAA for 40 games and then up to the MLB club yet this year. While I would hope Hicks gets it together and becomes a trade chip as a CF, I think Hick's ends up being the Twins 4th outfielder. He might even be platooned with Arcia.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 06-18-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks needs minor league time to work on his game. I don't think he belongs in the majors until he shows sustained success down there.

Rosario is the best option in CF IMO. What it does for his development remains to be seen, but I could see him handling the transition smoothly.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I'd think the move to NB instead of Rochester has something to do with the RH conversion. Perhaps someone down there is better equipped to handle or has experience with this kind of situation.

Or as someone above said, perhaps they don't want him to learn against a bunch of 28-year old junkballers who will never give him a good look.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    "Increasing versatility" is pretty much one step short of saying "probably not a full-time starter" as you get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast