Thread: Article: Who's Got Next?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 378 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Who's Got Next?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
    Lets just take a second to appreciate that we aren't choosing between Cole De Vries, PJ Walters, and Pedro Hernandez.

3. These 2 users like Tuba's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

golfboy1 (06-17-2014), nicksaviking (06-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    Lets just take a second to appreciate that we aren't choosing between Cole De Vries, PJ Walters, and Pedro Hernandez.
    Amen, brother.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find it interesting that a starter in AAA is "struggling" when they pitch to a line of "three runs on five hits and three walks in 5.2 innings" (Johnson - one out away from what is touted as a quality start for the Twins, and the same line would get a nice headline and it would be reported that they "gave the team a chance to win"). I also think that Pino and Achter will get the Slama treatment and never really get a shot with the Twins, but make for good politics and a winning AAA team for the Rochester fans.

Do Twins' fans really want to see anyone other than Meyer and May? Is the front office going to wait until they are at the end of their pitch count for the year or give them an opportunity with fresher young arms?
    Last edited by h2oface; 06-17-2014 at 04:28 AM.

6. These 2 users like h2oface's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-17-2014), wagwan (06-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    I also think that Pino and Achter will get the Slama treatment and never really get a shot with the Twins, but make for good politics and a winning AAA team for the Rochester fans.
    [Sigh] Yeah, I see this happening too.

The problem for Pino and Achter is not being on the 40 man roster. They have competition that are putting up similar stats and are already on the roster, so it make it difficult for them to get call up.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The starting rotation has been very impressive
    I think that the most accurate statement is: Phil Hughes has been very impressive.

Including Hughes, as a collective the rotation has been mediocre to bad (4.86 ERA, 1.436 WHIP, 5.3 K/9, a .286/.336/.443 opponent batting line etc). I know that mediocre to bad is a step up from hideous to awful that was the last few seasons, but by no means it is "impressive" or "solid".

I'd replace Deduno and Correia with May and Meyer right away, Burton and Guerrier with Pino (yes, I still see him as a reliever) and Achter, Theilbar with Kris Johnson and maybe Swarzak with Correia (or Darnell)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kblack1011 View Post
    The problem for Pino and Achter is not being on the 40 man roster. They have competition that are putting up similar stats and are already on the roster, so it make it difficult for them to get call up.
    Nobody is putting stats similar to Pino or Achter. I suspect that Dedudo's, Burton's, Guerrier's spots (to begin with, not to mention the Colabellos of the world) would be enough
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Meter is still on a pitch count, according to his manager. I think he said 85 when he was on 1500 espn

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    Just that statement alone says progress

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the most accurate statement is: Phil Hughes has been very impressive.

Including Hughes, as a collective the rotation has been mediocre to bad (4.86 ERA, 1.436 WHIP, 5.3 K/9, a .286/.336/.443 opponent batting line etc). I know that mediocre to bad is a step up from hideous to awful that was the last few seasons, but by no means it is "impressive" or "solid".

I'd replace Deduno and Correia with May and Meyer right away, Burton and Guerrier with Pino (yes, I still see him as a reliever) and Achter, Theilbar with Kris Johnson and maybe Swarzak with Correia (or Darnell)
    Pretty much agree with your moves here, though we know Meyer has only about 90 or so innings left and I wouldn't want him to just be done in mid-August.

I like that Correia's ERA is down to 5.29 and we note progress, somehow.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries

I just edited the sentence you were disagreeing with to clarify that I was referring to the Red Wings pitching staff being very impressive.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries

The future is now. May and Meyer are upgrades now and into the future. I agree, they should replace Deduno and KC. Achter needs to get a shot as well. Johnson is 29 and Pino is 30, so they should be viewed as relief or starter depth, i.e. come up if we have a rash of injuries for a game or two, double-headers, etc.

I don't really see where KC fits. If we can't get anything in return for him, we should DFA him. He is not helping us in the rotation blocking someone younger and better.

I think Swarzak is perfect where we have him. A long reliever/pen guy with a 3.28 ERA last year and 3.85 this year is a useful piece.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    It is funny that even after giving up just one run over his last two starts (admittedly against a couple of teams from the weak AL East) that people still want Correia replaced. I'm not saying I think it'll last but it should hold off for right now and resume when he's pitching poorly again.

17. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (06-18-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah rushing to release Correia just when he's starting to pitch well makes no sense at all. Even if the plan is to bring up Meyer and/or May mid-year, why would you release a veteran starting pitcher just when he's beginning to build some trade value?

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

19. These 2 users like SD Buhr's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (06-17-2014), Kwak (06-18-2014)

I don't think it needs to be this wholesale. How about May for Deduno now. Trade Correia to a NL contender in July and get something for him while at that time bringing up Meyer. That puts your rotation at Hughes, Nolasco, Gibson, May, and Meyer going into August/September. If we can be within 3-4 games at that time we will have a shot.

Relievers. . . I'm of the opinion Burton just doesn't have the movement anymore. Replace him with Achter or Tonkin. While Guerrier has experience, maybe Pino would be better. Finally, I beleive that Swarzak still has it and will find it. . .if not, then maybe Pino, Johnson, or Darnell replace him in the long spot.

Players. . . I also think the offense will need a little more pop in the stretch. How about Rosario stepping into CF full time with Santana at short?

Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post

Do Twins' fans really want to see anyone other than Meyer and May?

Yes, Darnell. Let's not forget he's a lefty and was a 6th round pick.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I agree with Seth....let's ride KC while he's hot. The KC situation will settle itself sometime in the next month or so. Either they are in or out of contention. Either he has pitched well, or not. The combination of those two things will determine what happens with him.

Deduno, otoh, this should be his last shot. If the AAA guys aren't better than what Deduno is doing right now, then they aren't really all that, are they?

I also don't get the Achter treatment. ONE of the reasons to use young players as RP is to have the freedom to send them up and down, and not be paranoid about losing them.....but the Twins just don't seem to trust young RP at all (or maybe they've just not developed any).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It is funny that even after giving up just one run over his last two starts (admittedly against a couple of teams from the weak AL East) that people still want Correia replaced. I'm not saying I think it'll last but it should hold off for right now and resume when he's pitching poorly again.
    Kevin has 3 k's in those 11 IP over his last two starts. That type of BABIP is not sustainable and we know what Kevin is at this point. His ERA on the year is 5.29, career 4.53 mostly NL. He is 33 now and not part of the future. The only thing we could hope for is a trade, but the market for him as a free agent was not a booming market and I am guessing we made phone calls after his 4.29 ERA last year with no one that would bite, even with only one year and $5M left on his contract.

I personally believe May and Meyer over KC will help this team win more games now, and obviously Kevin will not be part of this team next year. So it is inevitable at this point. We may as well accept it and move on.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah and just think of how much fun it will be around here after the Twins release Correia and he gets picked up and is productive for another team down the stretch while the Twins got nothing for him. Just reading all the "Twinss FO is stupid" comments is always so entertaining.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast