Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How imminent is AAA pitching help? "The mystery" clarified, according to Gardy

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    When is the latest the Twins could make an announcement about calling up Darnell to start Thursday? Does it have to be down Wednesday or could they wait until Thursday and make the move?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I beleive May has shown he is ready. The biggest thing he has done has really cut down on his walks and he has been able to get deep into games.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    My thoughts as I read that is he's saying that the jump from AAA to MLB is huge, and that they have to look beyond the stats to determine who is really ready to succeed in the big leagues.
    There's a jump from AAA to majors, no question, but I'm not sure it's much if any bigger than the jump from high-A to AA or from AA to AAA. At least, my impression is that if (in the aggregate) you move AA players to AAA in the same season they lose roughly .100 of OPS points, and about the same figure applies to going from AAA to majors. I don't have any studies to point to, and maybe there are newer studies than when I formed this opinion.

The second half of your comment seems pretty congruent with what I was saying.

Yesterday I left out what I also meant to say, that Gardy's first paragraph could be construed as a rambling version of "don't mess with a guy's career by depending on Small Sample Size". Who knew Gardy was such a statistician!

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-17-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino · 1h

TBD RT @adam__beck: @MikeBerardino @RocRedWings Does this mean that Pino will be starting in place of Deduno on Thursday?

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino · 1h

LHP Sean Gilmartin (7-3, 3.13) promoted from New Britain to @RocRedWings. Starts tonight vs. Pawtucket in place of Yohan Pino (9-1, 1.92).

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Pino isn't on the 40-man, so I assume Pelfrey is moved to the 60 DL; if indeed they are starting Pino instead of Deduno.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 330 Times in 208 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Pino isn't on the 40-man, so I assume Pelfrey is moved to the 60 DL; if indeed they are starting Pino instead of Deduno.
    Seth's article says this:

Quote Originally Posted by SethStohs
    We’ve been informed via Chris Fee that Sean Gilmartin has been called up to the Red Wings and will start on Tuesday. Yohan Pino will now start on Wednesday. Alex Meyer has been pushed to Thursday. Logan Darnell follows Meyer in the Red Wings rotation. Trevor May pitched on Monday night, and Kris Johnson pitched on Sunday.
    Sounds like Pino is just getting bumped back?

If Deduno starts Thursday, they could skip him with their off day next Monday and not need that spot again until Saturday June 28.

8. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (06-17-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,595 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I struggle to believe the Twins would roll out a guy for 8.1 innings and 120 pitches without him getting the call, especially a guy that's already on the 40 man roster.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time the team did something that confused the hell out of me.

10. These 6 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-17-2014), glunn (06-17-2014), JB_Iowa (06-17-2014), jokin (06-17-2014), nicksaviking (06-17-2014), TiberTwins (06-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Rochester looks like they are in a brutal stretch of games. No off days between June 11 and July 14, with two doubleheaders in there (including one this coming Saturday). 34 games in 32 days.

It would not surprise me if they went with a 6 man rotation, or at least kept 6 starters on staff for awhile (if Pino slides back to the pen next week).

12. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    120 pitches-I know Bert would be happy, but any thoughts on this?
    This is an interesting piece of evidence. I don't know if it amounts to much in the big picture, or on the organization philosophy, or conflicting philosophies, but it might. Reminiscent of Gibson's complete games in AAA last year, signalling an imminent call up? When was the last time Gardy let a guy throw 120 pitches?

14. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-17-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    When was the last time Gardy let a guy throw 120 pitches?
    When was the last time that a pitcher cruised into the 9th with a 2 hit shutout?

16. These 3 users like TRex's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

CK (06-17-2014), Paul Pleiss (06-17-2014), USAFChief (06-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    When was the last time that a pitcher cruised into the 9th with a 2 hit shutout?
    I will read that as a plea to get May up to the big leagues -- putting us in agreement.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=330806107 (pretty darn close)

19. This user likes amjgt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-17-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    For the sake of completeness: http://www.homeplate.kr/pitcher/64737

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I struggle to believe the Twins would roll out a guy for 8.1 innings and 120 pitches without him getting the call, especially a guy that's already on the 40 man roster.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time the team did something that confused the hell out of me.

I get the distinct impression they are lining up who it is they are calling up. May has been lined up with KC and will replace KC when he's traded or let go. Darnell was lined up with Deduno and will be getting a major league start on Thursday... That's my theory at least. I don't think they let May go as long as he went yesterday in order to call him up to start in 2 days... talk about setting a guy up to fail.

As it is, both are on the 40 man, and I'd argue both have more of a ML future than Pino or Johnson. Meyer still needs a bit of work and is on a count, so I doubt we see him until September.

22. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (06-18-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I get the distinct impression they are lining up who it is they are calling up. May has been lined up with KC and will replace KC when he's traded or let go. Darnell was lined up with Deduno and will be getting a major league start on Thursday... That's my theory at least. I don't think they let May go as long as he went yesterday in order to call him up to start in 2 days... talk about setting a guy up to fail.

As it is, both are on the 40 man, and I'd argue both have more of a ML future than Pino or Johnson. Meyer still needs a bit of work and is on a count, so I doubt we see him until September.
    The whole pitch count thing/inning limitation thing for Meyer and the apparent surplus of starting arms makes me hope that Gardy is granted his Spring Training wish and Meyer is brought up to throw some set-up innings in the pen- they just have to find him room on the roster.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The whole pitch count thing/inning limitation thing for Meyer and the apparent surplus of starting arms makes me hope that Gardy is granted his Spring Training wish and Meyer is brought up to throw some set-up innings in the pen- they just have to find him room on the roster.

I suspect that happens in September.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't read too much into lining up spots yet, particularly for KC. As I mentioned upthread, Rochester has zero days off and two doubleheaders between now and July 14. However spots are aligned right now, they will be aligned differently by next Monday (Twins off day).

26. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I get the distinct impression they are lining up who it is they are calling up. May has been lined up with KC and will replace KC when he's traded or let go. Darnell was lined up with Deduno and will be getting a major league start on Thursday...
    I hope not, I wouldn't want them to base who gets called up based on their pitcher they predestined them to be paired with at the MLB level.

Reminds me of everytime I pick a checkout line at the grocery store. I think I chose the fastest lane only to have the person in front of me pull out a checkbook instead of the debit card.

28. These 3 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

dgwills (06-17-2014), USAFChief (06-17-2014), WLFINN (06-18-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Agree with everyone else...cryptic, but also because it seems it's not his decision.
    Nope. But he has the responsibility to a. realize that Deduno should not start for this team, if the team might want to win that game and b. make a recommendation to his boss to replace Deduno. WHO will replace Deduno, MIGHT be the GM's decision, but based on what Gardenhire has said before (e.g. things like "WE decided that player A was not good enough") he is mucho involved in those decisions.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Nope. But he has the responsibility to a. realize that Deduno should not start for this team, if the team might want to win that game and b. make a recommendation to his boss to replace Deduno. WHO will replace Deduno, MIGHT be the GM's decision, but based on what Gardenhire has said before (e.g. things like "WE decided that player A was not good enough") he is mucho involved in those decisions.
    Given that Pino is the latest winner in the

"AAA SP lottery...w/ all expense paid short-term tryout trip to the majors',

was it Pino's "veteraniness" that tilted the decision this time? We all know Gardy's preferences for vets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast