Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Gwynn (Mr. Padre) Passes Away

Liked 1,676 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    RIP
    I wish there would have been inter league games back in the 80's so we could have seen Kirby Puckett and Tony Gywnn playing against each other besides All-Star games.
    Best stats that I saw on yahoo about him.Gwynn had 45 games with at least four hits. In 2,440 career games, Gwynn had only 34 multi-strikeout games. So, the odds were better that Gwynn would get four hits than striking out twice. Let that sink in.
    Great find. Gwynn's career pre-dated the internet and inter-league play. Historical research well done, darin.

And yeah, the Kirby factor. Mirror image, and separated at birth. Body type a spot-on match. Easy .300+ hitters. Puckett was the force of nature. Gwynn was the technician. Klammer vs. Russi, 1976.

Godspeed, Tony G. The game is better from your contributions.

2. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (06-16-2014)

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    RIP
    I wish there would have been inter league games back in the 80's so we could have seen Kirby Puckett and Tony Gywnn playing against each other besides All-Star games.
    Best stats that I saw on yahoo about him.Gwynn had 45 games with at least four hits. In 2,440 career games, Gwynn had only 34 multi-strikeout games. So, the odds were better that Gwynn would get four hits than striking out twice. Let that sink in.
    To further the wow factor, of those 34 multi-strikeout games, only one of them was a three strike game.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

4. This user likes kydoty's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-16-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 661 Times in 373 Posts

6. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-16-2014), USAFChief (06-16-2014)

Liked 1,274 Times in 738 Posts
    http://byrnes22.com/?p=423

For those of us who were a little on our "high horses" about chewing tobacco above, this provides a great perspective.

And makes me inutterably sad.

8. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mahukey1 (06-17-2014)

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    To further the wow factor, of those 34 multi-strikeout games, only one of them was a three strike game.
    I can't remember where I read it, but one year Tony Gwynn swung and missed like 50 times all year.

I grew up when he was in his prime but I didn't realize he stole 56 bases in 1987 and 40 in 1989.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As much as it pained me to say it as a kid, Gwynn was quite a bit better than Puckett. The guy was just a phenomenal hitter, unrivaled by anyone else during that time. His ridiculous swing and miss stats show just how amazing he was during his career.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Puck hit for more power, but I think a person would be hard pressed to find a better hitter than Tony Gwynn in the expansion era.

I think Puck also had a slight edge defensively, though Gwynn was no slouch in RF (he played a respectable CF in 1989 as well)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I think Puck also had a slight edge defensively, though Gwynn was no slouch in RF (he played a respectable CF in 1989 as well)
    I think Puckett had a considerable edge defensively... I should have clarified with "Gwynn was the better hitter by a healthy margin". I wasn't factoring in defense at all.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    What I liked about Gwynn is that he was one of those super stars that played for one team. Puckett and Ripken also did and they are a dying breed. I realize guys like Hrbek did this too but I don't put him in the same category as Puckett, Ripken, Gwynn.

With Jeter retiring, who will be the next super star to say they have played for only one organization? Mauer? Pedoria? Longoria?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    http://byrnes22.com/?p=423

For those of us who were a little on our "high horses" about chewing tobacco above, this provides a great perspective.

And makes me inutterably sad.
    I'm not sure how that changes my mind that people should quit. Just like alcoholics or other drug addicts, or people addicted to gambling. Yup, its hard. Yup, some people are pre-disposed to being addicts. that doesn't change (it really reinforces, imo) the fact that people need to choose to stop.

oh, and milb should outlaw it. and the Twins should tell their minor leaguers it is a banned substance for them.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,274 Times in 738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    oh, and milb should outlaw it. and the Twins should tell their minor leaguers it is a banned substance for them.
    I agree, Mike. It just makes me incredibly sad to think of children (because I still think of 12 yo's as children) being addicted to a substance that is legally sold to adults.

I did find it interesting that Byrnes said they had a lot of education in milb about chew but that, at least for him, the education really didn't impact.

Perhaps treating it like marijuana etc. (warnings, suspensions, etc.) might have some effect.

Do yourself a favor and read this.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-tony-gwynn...types=og.likes

Then do yourself another favor and watch this.

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-...ynn-1591925235

What a terrific human being.
    BYTO R.I.P.

17. These 2 users like freshinthehouse's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-18-2014), TheLeviathan (06-18-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12