Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    If Joe wasn't in such a funk this would be the time for the Mauer at 3rd experiment. But the way things have been going with him messing with a new position seems like a bad idea. Unfortunate.
    Before Pinto was sent down, I suggested trying Mauer in corner OF spots as a means to get Pinto more DH reps, keep Morales in the lineup at 1B, and rest Willingham. Maybe take his mind off hitting for a bit.

3B is quite a bit more stressful defensively, so probably not recommended (although it could take his mind off hitting even more!).

I do wish they weren't quite so quick to give him a full-time position -- he could have easily been subbing at 3B and the OF all season. I know both he and the team might feel a little weird to have their "star" player bouncing around, and they all feel like he could become a defensive asset once he settles in at 1B, but I don't like the idea of going straight to the far end of the defensive spectrum full-time.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Before Pinto was sent down, I suggested trying Mauer in corner OF spots as a means to get Pinto more DH reps, keep Morales in the lineup at 1B, and rest Willingham. Maybe take his mind off hitting for a bit.

3B is quite a bit more stressful defensively, so probably not recommended (although it could take his mind off hitting even more!).

I do wish they weren't quite so quick to give him a full-time position -- he could have easily been subbing at 3B and the OF all season. I know both he and the team might feel a little weird to have their "star" player bouncing around, and they all feel like he could become a defensive asset once he settles in at 1B, but I don't like the idea of going straight to the far end of the defensive spectrum full-time.
    Miguel Cabrera didn't have any problem bouncing around, although he was given the offseason to make the adjustments from LF...to 3rd...to 1st....to 3rd....and back to 1st.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Miguel Cabrera didn't have any problem bouncing around, although he was given the offseason to make the adjustments from LF...to 3rd...to 1st....to 3rd....and back to 1st.
    Yeah, I was thinking, bouncing around in-season, which is a little tougher. But if he had prepared for it, taking reps at those spots in the offseason and spring training, it probably wouldn't be that bad. Like Ben Zobrist around the weaker side of the defensive spectrum. He could still have his regular position at 1B, but just be more capable of moving as needed.

I'm sure the Joe and the Twins want him to be an everyday asset at 1B, and they think he needs 100% reps to make that happen. But I think the odds of that happening, the 100% reps requirements, and the benefits of it are somewhat dubious. Seems the benefits could be easily outweighed by playing Willingham and Arcia in the OF corners everyday, not to mention several layers of lost offense when we have to give Willingham a rest (Parmelee/Nunez/Fuld would start in LF, and Morales would have to sit to get him at DH).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Cabrera also played 3B in the minors at at the beginning of his ML career. Every position that isn't C is another new position for Mauer to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Pelfrey's not on the 60 day DL yet? What are they waiting for? Every report I have read about his recent procedure said the recovery time was 2 Months + , so why would he still be using up a 40-Man roster spot?
    When they 60 day someone they have to make a corresponding move immediately. They can't leave the spot empty, so I'm guessing they don't want to pick the wrong guy to add to the 40 man since so many guys are getting injured.

If they pick the wrong guy, then maybe multiple 40 man moves will need to be made instead of just the one. They'll use it when they have to.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Makes sense - they are waiting for the day when they remove one of the current starting pitchers from the rotation to add a guy to the 40-man (and I'm guessing call that player up to the 25-man at the same time).

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins33 View Post
    When they 60 day someone they have to make a corresponding move immediately. They can't leave the spot empty, so I'm guessing they don't want to pick the wrong guy to add to the 40 man since so many guys are getting injured.

If they pick the wrong guy, then maybe multiple 40 man moves will need to be made instead of just the one. They'll use it when they have to.
    The only rule I've seen about it says the 40-man has to be full before you can put someone on the 60-day DL. I assume that means full before the move; perhaps it means full afterward too?

Could just be common sense. The only benefit of the 60-day DL is opening the roster spot, and there is no benefit to opening the roster spot early, you can instantly move Pelfrey to the 60-day anytime you need to.

I wonder if they are keeping the spot flexible in case they could add a CF should one become available (the 40-man is otherwise well-stocked with pitchers, catchers, and infielders, but is still rather short on real outfielders).

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Cabrera also played 3B in the minors at at the beginning of his ML career. Every position that isn't C is another new position for Mauer to learn.
    My response was more to the point of the alleged "indignity" of asking a star player moving around at all. I've never heard Cabrera complain one bit about all of his position movements.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Big problem here. Vargas should not sit. Vargas is the better hitter, but his skill set is identical with that of Kendrys Morales. Kennys will be up here in Sept. and replace Kendrys in 2015. Also, this is the last contract season of the Twins-Rock Cats contract. They will move up the street in a 10K people ball park, the biggest in Eastern League. There are a lot in play there...
    NB will soon enough be getting an even bigger star. Delaying a deserved promotion would not be in the teams best interest. NB surely knows Vargas won't be playing there next year. The NB deal will come down to factors from off the field, namely $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    The only rule I've seen about it says the 40-man has to be full before you can put someone on the 60-day DL. I assume that means full before the move; perhaps it means full afterward too?
    Full disclose, I don't read over the MLB rules often, this is just something I have heard repeated about a million times (tv/radio-not just Twins, but other broadcasts). It could still be wrong. I don't think I've ever seen any team 60 day someone without immediately making a move to add someone, so what they have said has always seemed legit.

Then again, things get reported wrong and it happens repeatedly until someone says different so I don't know 100% for sure, but it's what I've heard my entire life.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins33 View Post
    Full disclose, I don't read over the MLB rules often, this is just something I have heard repeated about a million times (tv/radio-not just Twins, but other broadcasts). It could still be wrong. I don't think I've ever seen any team 60 day someone without immediately making a move to add someone, so what they have said has always seemed legit.

Then again, things get reported wrong and it happens repeatedly until someone says different so I don't know 100% for sure, but it's what I've heard my entire life.
    If it's not a rule, it's the only common sense way to do it. It's not optimal to always carry 40 healthy guys on your roster. You add guys when you have to, or when you want/need them, not simply anytime you have an opening or potential opening.

Even the rule stating your 40-man has to be full to put a player on the 60-day DL seems unnecessary -- there is no benefit to stockpiling open 40-man roster spots during the season (and the DL does not exist in the offseason).

In this case, I think the Twins simply decided they don't want/need Romero, at least not as much as Florimon. Which is still debatable, just not any kind of obvious roster mismanagement.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Didn't Puckett ride the 60 day DL long after he was forced to retire?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I think the rule is, now, that you have to be removed from it in the offseason. So you can't have a guy on the 60 day in November. I'm not sure if there were any rules like that back then or what the situation was.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Quite possibly. Retired players are sometimes kept on 40-man rosters (and 60-day DLs) for awhile for insurance purposes. Albert Belle is a common example -- I think he was rostered for two whole seasons after retirement.

Still, they are essentially active all winter, then placed on the 60-day DL as soon as the season starts. Would be interesting to look back and see if those teams immediately replaced Belle or Puckett, or if they just went down to 39 guys on the 40-man. I suspect they immediately replaced them since it was the beginning of the season and most teams keep full 40 man rosters at that point anyway.

15. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-16-2014)

There is no point in moving someone to the 60 day DL unless you needed the roster spot immediately. Until the Twins decide they want to add someone to the roster, the 15 day DL works just as well.

Remember the issues that came up earlier this season with Bartlett's roster spot? Had they had an eligible player to shift to the 60 day DL at that time, they could have avoided losing a player then.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    Remember the issues that came up earlier this season with Bartlett's roster spot? Had they had an eligible player to shift to the 60 day DL at that time, they could have avoided losing a player then.
    So, they could have shifted Bartlett to the 60-day DL to claim Fuld and kept Mastroianni, then let Bartlett retire, right? THAT was roster mismanagement. Would love to ask Antony or TR details about that. (I know they said the retirement paperwork couldn't be processed until Monday -- don't know if that means it was already irreversibly submitted, but then the lesson there should be that you should never submit retirement paperwork until it can be processed immediately. Especially when Fuld was already DFA'd and could become available on waivers at anytime.)

Now, thankfully, we seem to be back to debating player evaluations and not our front office's clerical competence!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12