Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vance Worley surprised Twins wanted him to lead the rotation in 2013

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Vance Worley surprised Twins wanted him to lead the rotation in 2013

After performing well for their AAA Indianapolis affiliate, the Pittsburgh Pirates have recalled pitcher Vance Worley up to pitch on Sunday.

The Twins traded Worley to the Pirates in exchange for cash after several poor spring training outings in a row and a disappointing 2013 season in which he posted a 7.21 ERA in 48.2 innings in Minnesota.

Worley, who was coming off bone chip clean-up surgery in 2012, told Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he was not 100% heading into the season in 2013 and was surprised the Twins anointed him the Opening Day starter.

In speaking to the Tribune-Review late last month in Indianapolis, Worley said he was not 100 percent to begin 2013 after having remove bone chips from his elbow at the end of the 2012 season. He was surprised the Twins wanted him to lead their rotation.

Wow. That's...interesting?

Once with the Pirates, Worley pitched infinitely better, going 3-2 with a 4.30 ERA but a much improved 43-to-4 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 46 innings (by comparison he had struck out just 25 in the 48.2 innings with the Twins last year). Pirates manager Clint Hurdle told reporters that his fastball is much better and his changeup has become his "go-to pitch".

Having talked about it at length on this site last year, Worley's changeup has long been a work in progress that has fallen flat and has been a constantly below average pitch for him over the last few years.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post

Wow. That's...interesting?
    Interesting?

What's new? We are talking about the same people who preferred Nishioka & Hoey over Hardy, Capps over Ramos, Young over Garza, LeCroy over Ortiz, had Livan Hernandez as an opening day starter (and Brad Radke over Johan Santana multiple seasons & Pavano over Liriano twice,) discarded Carlos Gomez, Kyle Lohse, R.A. Dickey, Pat Neshek et. al.

Why is the Worley situation "interesting"? SOP for them. Could had been worse. They could had anointed Diamond the opening day starter last season.

Heck, this is the same people who brought us 99+96+96 and then had the audacity to celebrate Gardenhire's 1000th win in that context. And the worst part about that, is that only a few Twins' fans blinked an eye.

The Twins' FO and field management are talking about players' "scholarships", while they are tenured.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

3. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (06-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    This is interesting
    I didn't know that Bill Smith was still the GM
    Santana became a full time starter in 2004, by that time Radke had been the staff Ace for almost 10 years. Radke was going to be the opening day starter. Now when it really mattered in the playoffs, who started game one? Santana started.
    Pavano vs Liriano an issue?
    Stretching a lot to find criticism?

5. This user likes The Wise One's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ScottyB (06-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Opening Day starter simply does not matter.

At all.

With that said, I find Worley's comments a humorous aside.

7. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (06-15-2014), Danchat (06-15-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Worley was surprised that he was made the opening day starter in 2013, then he clearly wasn't reading about how things were going in 2012 for the Twins. Based on his 2012 numbers, he and Diamond were really the only options there. Diamond was slowed due to injury and the only meaningful free agent was KC, who has been demoted to the pen in Pittsburg in 2012.

It is not a matter of "not blinking an eye". It is a matter of perspective. Some of us look around the league and see that teams who are not in the top 10 in terms of revenue have down cycles and many of them much longer than the down period our team endured recently. The Twins organization has done a better job than most of the other teams in the same revenue range in terms of keeping a good product of the field. We also look at 2011 in realistic terms given the injuries.

Are the front offices for both Chicago teams grossly incompetent or does it simply take time to rebuild? We also ask if those teams are rebuilding through the draft. So, we look at their farm systems. Then, we look at our farm system in comparison. We recognize a couple average CFs were traded away but that those trades produced our two promising SP prospects who are nearly ready to join the big league club.

Having said this, there have been poor decisions starting with Hardy and Capps. And, none of us can know for sure what Boston offered for Santana but they really blew that one if a couple of the reported offers were real.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess if I were Vance Worley, I'd be surprised too. He was a fine pitcher for Philadelphia, but in no way was he ace material.

It's funny how when the Vanimal was here, I don't recall him saying much about Philadelphia. Now that he's in Pittsburgh, he's been somewhat vocal about his dislike of MN. Maybe he missed the Pennsylvania Dutch. Would it have helped his career with the Twins to spend more time with Bert Blyleven? Or is just Dutch not close enough to Pennsylvania Dutch?

Maybe he couldn't handle the microscopic nit picking pressure? If only he could have stuck around long enough to get more pointers on coping mechanisms from Phil Hughes.

Or maybe Pittsburgh has been lucky enough (or observant enough) to take advantage of the Dead Cat Bounce of a couple of former Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    It is not a matter of "not blinking an eye". It is a matter of perspective. Some of us look around the league and see that teams who are not in the top 10 in terms of revenue have down cycles and many of them much longer than the down period our team endured recently. The Twins organization has done a better job than most of the other teams in the same revenue range in terms of keeping a good product of the field. We also look at 2011 in realistic terms given the injuries.

Are the front offices for both Chicago teams grossly incompetent or does it simply take time to rebuild? We also ask if those teams are rebuilding through the draft. So, we look at their farm systems. Then, we look at our farm system in comparison. We recognize a couple average CFs were traded away but that those trades produced our two promising SP prospects who are nearly ready to join the big league club.

Having said this, there have been poor decisions starting with Hardy and Capps. And, none of us can know for sure what Boston offered for Santana but they really blew that one if a couple of the reported offers were real.
    Not to be mean or anything, but in the hindsight is 20-20 department
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3138088
    In the Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda department. Had they kept Santana and had the Mets signed him, they could have taken a toolsy HS outfielder with 24 pick of the Mets that was available and been way ahead

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Are the front offices for both Chicago teams grossly incompetent or does it simply take time to rebuild? We also ask if those teams are rebuilding through the draft. So, we look at their farm systems. Then, we look at our farm system in comparison.

I think The a White Sox are on the right track. Cubs? Not so sure, I know there's a lot of respect for Theo Epstein out there, but that team has been mismanaged for 80 years.

Hardy was absolutely a blunder from the get go. There was a lot of disbelief around here with phrases like "you want to get rid of the best SS this team has had in years to take a flyer on a Japanese player?" I was optimistic at the time, but history proved it's point.

Hind site on Capps is dicey, this team needed a good closer and made a trade from a position of strength to a position of need, I can't fault that. The resigning I struggle with.

Regarding the Santana trade, I'm sure they took the best offer available. Turns out it was a good trade, the Twins just weren't patient enough to see the payoff.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Or is just Dutch not close enough to Pennsylvania Dutch?
    Just as a cultural and historical lesson, the "Pennsylvania Dutch" have no connection to "Dutch". They are primarily of German descent (mostly from Southwest Germany) and have historically spoken a version of German that came to be known as Pennsylvania Dutch. As a group, they tended to immigrate mostly in the 1700's (some a little earlier). One of my genealogical lines was Pennsylvania Dutch so I've done a little reading on them.

OTOH, one of my great-grandmothers was born in southwest Germany (was not Pennsylvania Dutch) and told stories of skating back and forth to Holland on the canals. She always said that they could talk more easily with their Dutch-speaking neighbors after they came to America than with their English-speaking ones.

So, maybe Vanimal and Bert could have communicated. Obviously something just did not click in Minnesota but maybe Worley just wasn't recovered enough from his injury at the start of the season and everything spiraled downward from there.

14. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-15-2014)

Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Opening Day starter simply does not matter.

At all.

With that said, I find Worley's comments a humorous aside.
    I agree with this. He's certainly not worth getting all worked up about, especially about unrelated past sins, real or otherwise. Worley was "surprised" by everything, it seems, from the moment he learned he was traded. He came to the Twins with a horrible attitude. That was evident in the physical condition in which he reported, his work ethic, his blaming his pathetic performance on everything else, including the wind, his mule-stubborn refusal to take direction once he was finally shipped out. How about holding Worley accountable for his dismal behavior instead of turning it into an irrational rant about how those darn incompetent Twins blew it again?

16. These 2 users like birdwatcher's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (06-15-2014), luckylager (06-16-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    The wind must be gentler in Pittsburgh.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

18. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-16-2014)

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I agree with this. He's certainly not worth getting all worked up about, especially about unrelated past sins, real or otherwise. Worley was "surprised" by everything, it seems, from the moment he learned he was traded. He came to the Twins with a horrible attitude. That was evident in the physical condition in which he reported, his work ethic, his blaming his pathetic performance on everything else, including the wind, his mule-stubborn refusal to take direction once he was finally shipped out. How about holding Worley accountable for his dismal behavior instead of turning it into an irrational rant about how those darn incompetent Twins blew it again?
    Well...who was it that traded for him again?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins chose Bartlett, Pelfrey, Guerrier and Kubel over guys like Worley, Hendriks, Presley and Mastroianni.

There may not be value in any of the 8, but the Twins went with the quartet of 30 year olds over any upside in that quartet of younger players.

Rebuilding teams go the other direction. If the Twins aren't rebuilding, they need to be held accountable for winning.

21. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (06-15-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I agree with this. He's certainly not worth getting all worked up about, especially about unrelated past sins, real or otherwise. Worley was "surprised" by everything, it seems, from the moment he learned he was traded. He came to the Twins with a horrible attitude. That was evident in the physical condition in which he reported, his work ethic, his blaming his pathetic performance on everything else, including the wind, his mule-stubborn refusal to take direction once he was finally shipped out.

How about holding Worley accountable for his dismal behavior instead of turning it into an irrational rant about how those darn incompetent Twins blew it again?
    The very second that someone in the Twins organization besides Bill Smith is held accountable for all of their vast mis-assessments of talent, personalities and Plan A and B options over the last 7 seasons, I'll be right there with you on Worley.

23. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Winston Smith (06-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The Twins chose Bartlett, Pelfrey, Guerrier and Kubel over guys like Worley, Hendriks, Presley and Mastroianni.

There may not be value in any of the 8, but the Twins went with the quartet of 30 year olds over any upside in that quartet of younger players.

Rebuilding teams go the other direction. If the Twins aren't rebuilding, they need to be held accountable for winning.
    They would not be winning any more with Mastro, Presley or Hendriks. The Bartlet mistake was corrected by getting Fuld who has done more for the Twins than Presley has done for the Astros or Mastro for the Jays. Kubel was exchanged for Morales. It would be easier to accept criticism for what they kept in the spring if any of the players they jettisoned would even be playing above replacement baseball. Worley is back on a major league team. After a few starts the baseball world will know if he is pitching decently or not.

I do find it strange the love shown Worley now versus what he got last year.

25. This user likes The Wise One's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (06-15-2014)

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    They would not be winning any more with Mastro, Presley or Hendriks. The Bartlet mistake was corrected by getting Fuld who has done more for the Twins than Presley has done for the Astros or Mastro for the Jays. Kubel was exchanged for Morales. It would be easier to accept criticism for what they kept in the spring if any of the players they jettisoned would even be playing above replacement baseball. Worley is back on a major league team. After a few starts the baseball world will know if he is pitching decently or not.

Strange? I find it par for the course. Last year he was a Twin, and criticizing him gave an opportunity to criticize Twins coaches and management. This year's he's not a Twin, and giving him "love" gives an opportunity to criticize Twins coaches and management. Pretty straightforward, actually.

27. These 3 users like Beezer07's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (06-15-2014), crarko (06-15-2014), The Wise One (06-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The very second that someone in the Twins organization besides Bill Smith is held accountable for all of their vast mis-assessments of talent, personalities and Plan A and B options over the last 7 seasons, I'll be right there with you on Worley.
    Which front office in baseball is perfect?

29. These 2 users like The Wise One's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (06-15-2014), crarko (06-15-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

I do find it strange that I can't seem to find any of this "love shown Worley" you speak about in this thread.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Which front office in baseball is perfect?
    No one expects perfect,
    that there are no players with options left and available today except Pedro Florimon isn't expecting perfect,
    that Pedro Florimon was deemed the starting SS in ST- no matter what- isn't expecting perfect,
    that someone has yet to be held accountable for Nishi/Hardy/Hoey isn't expecting perfect,
    that the Nick Blackburn signing fiasco hasn't had someone held accountable isn't expecting perfect,
    that for many, many years running, Twins draft picks yielded little more than Trevor Plouffe and Glen Perkins wasn't expecting perfect,
    that Jason Marquis, Vance Worley, Pedro Hernandez, PJ Walters and Cole DeVries were somehow greenlighted and passed off on the public as viable SP options was just plain insulting.
    and that the Twins had no viable "Target Field Twins- Plan B" when Plan A fizzled so badly in 2011 wasn't expecting perfect, either.

32. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (06-15-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast