Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morris, TK, or Smalley?

Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post

Personally, I really enjoy Dazzle!
    Seriously? He never tells you what's actually going on during the play. He's worse than Lonny from major league two.

2. This user likes Butterfingers8's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Fire Dan Gladden (06-15-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    TK and it isn't close. Morris says some things that make my brain hurt.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tom Kelly is OK to listen to about once a week.

I like Roy Smalley. He talks a little bit too much, but I enjoy his analysis.

I don't think Blyleven has said anything new for a long time. Not much analysis. Reads the player bios.

Tim Laudner is just horrific. I just have to turn the channel when he's on the pre or post game shows. I just can't listen.

I don't mind Jack Morris either. He isn't as cliched as Blyleven.

My rankings:

Smalley, Morris, Kelly, Blyleven, Laudner.

5. These 3 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (06-14-2014), blairpaul715 (06-15-2014), USNMCPO (06-15-2014)

Well, just remember, Hawk exists to make all other play-by-play analysts sound good. With Gubicza running a close second.

Blyleven has his faults, but he is not the complete homer other analysts are. Same with Morris and TK.

In fact, I get a kick out of Blyleven some times, because you can tell, after a pitch by a Twins pitcher has gone a long way, Bert is almost saying "WTF kind of pitch was that?"

I really wouldn't mind Morris taking over for Bert with TK in the booth once and a while. Although, the current rotation is fun. I like the variety of color announcers we've had over the last couple of years.

Morris is pretty good on the radio, TK is OK but at limited doses.

Kris Atteberry is who should be given the chance.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Maybe Paul Allen and Patrick Reusse. It would not put you to sleep. You may want to gnaw your own leg off to break free, but you'll be awake while doing it.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    I would rank them: Morris/Blyleven, TK, Smalley, Laudner. I like the humor and borderline inappropriateness of Blyleven and I like Morris. His stories haven't gotten old yet and they are refreshing.

Smalley would be pretty good if he didn't pick one thing and repeat it over and over but in five different ways. By the time he has finished with his fifth attempt the comment is no longer relevant.

I just can't believe we had Jim Kaat at one point. I love the mlbn games where he is in the booth.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    TK is the man. I don't care how monotonous he is. He's a good analyst.

Smalley is actually not that bad, in my opinion. He's a sharp guy.

I could do without anyone else, including Dick and Bert. Please retire soon, guys.

Dick said something especially annoying yesterday: "I usually hate saying someone pitched better than their numbers...". Sure, unless it supports your stupid argument.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Maybe Paul Allen and Patrick Reusse. It would not put you to sleep. You may want to gnaw your own leg off to break free, but you'll be awake while doing it.
    Hah!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckett34 View Post
    Vacation. Bert is back on June 19th
    You've got all off-season to rest up, Meat. Get back in there.

Oh, and I vote for TK too. The monotony doesn't get to me, but I don't watch every game either.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    I like TK and Morris.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Halsey Hall was a hoot. You never knew what he was going to say next.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Has anyone heard Coomer with his new gig? He always struck me as down to earth but still too uneven and rough around the edges. Perhaps a season or two with training wheels would be good enough to bring him back as the future replacement.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TK is absolutely brutal to listen to. Regardless of how much insight a person may provide, anyone in that kind of position should have some level of public speaking skills. TK has none whatsoever. I groan every time I tune in and find that TK is in there. I'd prefer Morris out of the 3.

Actually if I had it my way, Provus and Gladden would be doing TV play by play. Bremer and whoever can go to radio.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 514 Posts
    At least if Gladden were on TV we would know what's going on more than 10% of the time compared to his PbP work on the radio.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

18. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Fire Dan Gladden (06-15-2014), TheLeviathan (06-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    USNMCPO - Halsey has been gone for a very long time now so welcome to the club of "old-timers" like me who still remember him. And do you remember who the first announcers were in 1961? I sure do, tell me without looking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Has anyone heard Coomer with his new gig? He always struck me as down to earth but still too uneven and rough around the edges. Perhaps a season or two with training wheels would be good enough to bring him back as the future replacement.
    He's the main color guy for cubs radio

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All lot of votes for monotony. That doesn't surprise me. Of the choices, I like Morris. But the real catch would be Jim Kaat. I find TK's analysis often as outdated as the "Twins Way". Mostly........ I don't use any of the audio. Just watch the games with other music or multi-tasking.
    Last edited by h2oface; 06-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.

22. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Butterfingers8 (06-15-2014)

Looks like Im in the minority, but I like Roy Smalley. He seems to do his homework, he follows along with the game action (what should the pitch be here? what kind of defense the play here. etc). The biggest drawback is that he loves his own voice and uses 5000 words to make his point.

I like Tom Kelly in the booth too, but I dont think I could take 100 games of him.

24. This user likes benchwarmerjim's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (06-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I hardly care about who is commentating a baseball game on TV. I'm usually focusing on the baseball game, so I hardly hear them or what they are saying doesn't really register. It's like ambience to me.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

26. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-16-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast