Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Report (6/11): Boss Berrios

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco has been leading off a lot these days. I'm not sure that is the place for him. He gets on base enough, but I think 2 or 3 suits better.
    It seems that his slump has corresponded to that switch, but I can't find stats to that level of detail for FM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Polanco has been leading off a lot these days. I'm not sure that is the place for him. He gets on base enough, but I think 2 or 3 suits better.
    It seems that his slump has corresponded to that switch, but I can't find stats to that level of detail for FM.
    Polanco isn't going to be a 3-4-5-6 type of hitter in the big leagues. He'll be a 1-2-8-9 hitter in the big leagues. It's about getting him as many plate appearances as they can, and that can be leading off. The spot in the batting order shouldn't affect his approach.

4. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-12-2014), James (06-12-2014)

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I was a betting man, I would see him as a #2 hitter. But maybe #3 If he is a 8th or 9th hitter when/if he becomes a big league regular, something went wrong.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did Pino take someone's spot in the AAA rotation?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    If I was a betting man, I would see him as a #2 hitter. But maybe #3 If he is a 8th or 9th hitter when/if he becomes a big league regular, something went wrong.
    He's not a power hitter. As Lew Ford once told me, there are guys who drive in runs and there are guys who score runs. I would say that Polanco fits into the latter category. I think that he can be a #2 hitter, and that would be great. If he's hitting 8th or 9th, that means the lineup if functioning really well and that would likely be a pretty exciting team to watch.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When you take into consideration who all should be in the Twins' line up along with Polanco by the time he reaches the Show, I might argue that if he's your #3-4-5-6 hitter, something went wrong with several other guys.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

9. These 3 users like SD Buhr's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-12-2014), nicksaviking (06-12-2014), Tibs (06-12-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or something went really right
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

So does JO get the bump to New Britain after the first half wraps up, or is he better served staying at this level a full season considering his age?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Berrios has been utterly dominating, bump him up a level already.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Since when did we start setting the bar so high for our middle infielders?

Can't wait to see Berrios in AA. When/if that happens he will be two levels ahead of Eades and picked only one year before him. I think the perception of "safe" or "MLB ready" pitchers is largely over-estimated.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you assume a couple of the AAA pitchers (say Meyer and May, just for the sake of argument) will move up in June and the guys they replace are released or traded, that would set off a chain reaction and I'd expect Berrios to get promoted.

Almost everyone in the Twins organization that I've ever asked about promotions have said some form of, "when a guy dominates his current level over an extended period where he faces teams more than once, we start looking to promote him." Pretty hard to find many guys that description fits more appropriately than Berrios right now.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Since when did we start setting the bar so high for our middle infielders?
    Hey, these numbers are to be regularly expected

64 251 54 61 114 11 0 14 33 41 0 53 14 4 .243 .353 .454 .808 0.77

Fernando Romero pitched four innings, but he just 1 K. So, is he another overrated prospect or just pitch-to-contact? Why our pitchers always can't miss crazy bats?

Jose Berrios is a better prospect than Kohl Stewart. NOT EVEN CLOSE. He is legit.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 809 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got to think Berrios is headed to NB soon.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Regarding Berrios to AA... my thoughts a month ago were that he had pitched well but was so young, so let's see how he continues to do. At this point, he's at a half-season of dominance. I'd say 2-3 more starts like this and he could move up.

What is Berrios doing better this season that is making him more effective than he was against inferior competition in A ball?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsbaby View Post
    Fernando Romero pitched four innings, but he just 1 K. So, is he another overrated prospect or just pitch-to-contact? Why our pitchers always can't miss crazy bats?
    Jeez, small sample size much? He had 6 Ks in 5 innings in his first start. I wouldn't sweat a single performance.

Reports are that he's added a few more MPHs to his fastball this year and his breaking ball is a legit swing and miss pitch if it's on.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Berrios started falling a part a bit (presumably due to fatigue) around this time last year. That said, his first half has been even better than last year and he's already pitched a lot more innings than he had this time last year. The biggest thing is to see him hold up through the entire season. It'd be pretty nice to see him knocking on the door to the majors next year, but I'm more worried about seeing him build up his stamina this year rather than how quickly he moves.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsbaby View Post

Jose Berrios is a better prospect than Kohl Stewart. NOT EVEN CLOSE. He is legit.
    Care to define what NOT EVEN CLOSE is? Kohl Stewart is widely regarded as a potential Ace with a plus fastball and plus slider. Berrios is a year further along and is therefor more polished. Lets see how Stewart performs the rest of the year.

Not taking anything away from Berrios, but you're not being fair to a guy that has 75 professional innings.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast