Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review Gardenhire's job so far this year

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries

Review Gardenhire's job so far this year

At the end of last season there was speculation that the Twins may switch managers after their 3rd consecutive 90 loss season. so far this season we are 30 - 32 after today's win 4 games out of the division and 3.0 out of the 2nd wildcard. How would you rate the job Gardenhire has done with the team he has this year? and what are some examples you would use in grading him? I don't get to watch the games out in California so I can only go off of the players stats and teams record.

I am happy with the job as he has plugged players in who have responded and produced. at first it was Colabello and Kubel then Dozier, then Arcia and Willingham. Escobar picked up for Florimon and Danny Santana of all people in CF and thriving. Suzuki has consistently hit .300 all year. Hughes has made it back to prominence, the bullpen is above average despite Burton being terrible. we even have a few decent bench options now, Fuld with speed when healthy, Pinto and occasionally Parmelee with power and Nunez who is hitting .290

there has been the debacle with CF at the beginning of the season and it looks like Santana wants it. Hicks is coming around after dropping switch hitting. So more often then not he has put players into situations where they would succeed and the team hasn't wasted too much time when they lost effectiveness in replacing them.

But mostly I am happy the Twins are playing competitive baseball. I don't see them get blown out too often and they are in the .500 range. If all breaks right They could contend for the playoffs. They were 8 games back at the all star break before and made the playoffs right now we are maybe a reliever and starting pitcher away from doing it again.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Overall, he's done a really good job. I can't excuse anyone for the Bartlett fiasco and he's loyal to a fault to a couple of vets, but the man knows baseball and the club has performed well.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Avon Barksdale's friend. One additional quibble- Gardy did use Matt Guerrier in a meaningful situation recently. It's bothersome enough that Guerrier is on the roster at all. It's going to be way too irresistible for Gardy not to being rolling Matty out there with the game on the line going forward.

Im not a Gardenhire fan, never have been, and I could say I would have done different things in different situations.........but for the players we have, I would say we should be around .500 and we are..........now if Morales is what we think he might be, that should or could put us in contention for a WCard, and if we falter badly, I might again put that on Gardenhire........but for now, I have to say he is doing, record wise what I think he should have..........I want the Twins to win, but I kind of thought if we had another terrible year, we could rid ourselves of Gardenhire..........but it seems like the players like their manager.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    I'd say he's done better than the gnome would.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

6. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-12-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I'd say he's done better than the gnome would.
    are you sure ?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't been pleased with the consistency of the bullpen this year, but I don't think you can blame that on Gardy. Guerrier is a proven relief pitcher and has the mental "stuff" to be effective. His breaking balls break and his fastball hits their spots. However, hitters have been hitting him.

The Front office is to blame for the CF confusion, but Gardy coached the team thru that and has given Santana the confidence to go out there and learn on-the-job.

We, the fans, can't see the inside stuff that goes on. We can see some of Pinto's problems and I think Gardy pulled him out of the regular lineup at the right time. Gardy can better see Hicks's struggles than any of us. When u combine the injuries, the low BA and his switching to hitting RH, the manager is the best person to judge if Hicks should be in MLB.

The shortstop situation has been a problem. When Florimon proved to be hopeless at bat, Gardy stayed flexible and fortunately Escobar has been a revelation.

Gardy seems to trust his players and the players can feel that. He stays flexible in difficult situations. He and the coaches seem to have the locker room on his side. I'd give Gardy a B (no manager ever deserves an A. They always make some mistakes.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I think he's done well and am glad he's the manager. That said, this thread is going to blow up into "Gardy doesn't like young guys", "Molitor is the reason X is working" and "Gardy is dumb."

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I'd say the coaching as a whole has been markedly better this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Three terrible seasons and really not enough talent to expect more. This year is different. His performance and retention needs to be judged by wins. I would set the bar at 85. I think he will get there.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Better than expected, but I disagree with the previous depiction of the Pinto situation. In a chicken/egg situation, did Gardy pull Pinto at the right time? Or did pulling Pinto cause the slump.

My argument would be, hitters suck more in spring training than the regular season and mostly progress with playing time. Pinto had a stretch of two weeks where he played once, and a month where he played like 5 times.

Then suddenly he's gotten some more playing time and sucked, and Gardy has become the savior from Pinto's ineptitude? I think he's the cause in this case.

He's stuck with Guerrier and Burton far too long.

on the other hand, he's stuck by Plouffe, Santana, and Willingham who have paid big dividends. Willingham was stone cold in his rehab assignment, was immediately inserted into the big league lineup and has since been very very good.

overall mixed results, but much better than I anticipated.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,287 Times in 690 Posts
    I think you have to concede Gardy has done a competent job. Outside of the Bartlett insanity he's managed the roster pretty well when he's had a full deck. Who knows how the team would have performed had Hammer and Arcia not been injured. The batting order as it stands right now looks like one we can ride with on a consistent basis.

More Pinto would be a complaint but I understand the reasoning for the time being.

He's definitely had more to work with this year and he's taken some advantage of it.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    He made the all-star team as a bench coach. A+

15. These 2 users like notoriousgod71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SpiritofVodkaDave (06-12-2014), WLFINN (06-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    He made the all-star team as a bench coach. A+
    He made All Star team as a bench coach , because it is being playing in Minnesota, not for any other reason.........

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,287 Times in 690 Posts
    Sarcasm missed.

18. These 5 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-12-2014), JB_Iowa (06-12-2014), notoriousgod71 (06-12-2014), snepp (06-11-2014), WLFINN (06-14-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 92 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Gardy, but have been concerned with his insistence to use Guerrier and Burton. If you ask me, Guerrier must have some "naked pictures" he is using to blackmail Gardy!
    Two clubs released him! I close my eyes every time Burton pitches. I have no way of knowing if any of the guys in the minors would be better, but the Twins are never going to be a serious contender with those 2 pitching in crucial situations.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I would him a C, C+ at best. My main qualms with the job he's done this season have to do with Josmil Pinto, who for most of the season has been the Twins' 2nd or 3rd best hitter. In order to develop in any regard, he has to be in the lineup, and because of Gardy's refusal to use him as the DH when he is the backup catcher, he has wasted away on the bench far more than was actually necessary.

Another one of my gripes is his weird obsession with infielders in the outfield. He's trotted out some of the weirdest lineups that I can ever remember, with Nunez and Santana in the outfield, and he doesn't seem to make any point of avoiding this when Phil Hughes is starting, as having competent outfielders during his starts is especially important due to his profile as a flyball pitcher.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the most part I am ok with Gardy. 80% of the time i agree with what he does, 15% i dont but chalk it up to the fact he has forgotten more about baseball then i will ever see or learn but 5% of the time I am like WHAT THE #^#*@*& ARE YOU DOING? ???!!! DID YOU FORGET YOUR MEDS???? WHAT THE $&#^#&*##& DID YOU THINK WOULD ^$&#*&$&$& HAPPEN WHEN YOU DID THAT???? DID YOU LOSE A BET???
    * end rant*

22. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (06-12-2014)

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Whoa...Pinto has NOT been the 2nd or 3rd best hitter on the Twins for most of the season, at least so long as results are concerned.

I think Gardy has done pretty well, but then I don't have any idea how managers should be evaluated beyond bullpen and PH decisions.

24. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (06-14-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused by the Guerrier dislike... he's pitched 12.2 innings and has a 6.4 H/9 and a 2.8 BB/9... he's not getting hit, and he's not hurting himself excessively with walks. I don't get what the issue is. He's on the roster. He's been successful for a long time, and he's done well in most of his opportunities (11 games so far). I don't get it.

26. These 4 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

adjacent (06-12-2014), Circus Boy (06-12-2014), Since71 (06-12-2014), SpiritofVodkaDave (06-12-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast