Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Mauer in the 3 spot

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,316
    Like
    1,300
    Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts

    Mauer in the 3 spot

    I wish someone would explain Gardenhire's stubborness about keeping Mauer near the top of the line-up.

    From earlier today (presumably the pregame presser):


    • LaVelle E. Neal III ‏@LaVelleNeal 46m
      Gardy doesn't seem interested in moving Mauer down in the lineup. Says Mauer has to get going in that spot


      Sometimes we all need a change of scenery. There are others on the team who are hitting well -- changing his spot in the line-up would just be a different kind of mental break for Mauer instead of giving him another day (or more) off.

      I just don't get this. I suppose Mauer could see it as an insult but frankly, given what has been happening, he should just enjoy the change of scenery.


  2. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (06-11-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-11-2014)

  3. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    They gotta keep him there unless he's hurt. If he's hurt, put him on the DL. If he's not, then you have to think that he'll start hitting again. He's too good to put up these kind of numbers over a full season.

    Personally, I think he's hurt - either the back or still dealing with concussion symptoms. But I'm just guessing.

  4. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    nathanaakre (06-11-2014)

  5. #3
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,316
    Like
    1,300
    Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    WHY do they "gotta keep him there"?

    That is what I want someone to explain. Is this some inviolable law of nature? Was this a condition of his contract?

    I've gotta think that if Joe Mauer is a good a hitter as we all believe, he's a good enough hitter to be moved around in the line-up.

  6. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    WHY do they "gotta keep him there"?

    That is what I want someone to explain. Is this some inviolable law of nature? Was this a condition of his contract?

    I've gotta think that if Joe Mauer is a good a hitter as we all believe, he's a good enough hitter to be moved around in the line-up.
    Even though he's slumping, his OBP is still better than the guys you might want to put in there (Plouffe, Arcia). I suppose Suzuki could move up but I don't think that's a great idea. With Mauer's track record, unless he's hurt, you'd assume he'd starting hitting again. Willingham has good on base skills but Morales, Arcia and Plouffe are more power than on-base. Ideally if the Twins had 1-3 hitters getting on base a lot, those 4 guys should get a lot of RBIs.

    And, while lineups really don't matter that much (fans waaaaaaay overrate them), ideally you want your best two hitters (Dozier and Willingham, I'd argue) hitting 2nd and 4th.

  7. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Beezer07 (06-11-2014)

  8. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    600
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    You leave Mauer in the 3 hole because he might start heating up today. You drop him to 7 or 8 for a week...what happens if THAT'S when he starts heating up and you've now wasted a week with him buried in the bottom of the lineup? Sure, some people buy into the "you have to EARN your spot in the lineup" stuff, but given Mauer's OBP track record, he's earned a couple months of struggles near the top.

    And agree with gunn. You have to assume he'll start heating up. Trying to ride the hot hand in baseball is a fool's errand.

  9. #6
    One argument for moving him down: Even if he's slumping, he could provide some protection for some of the weaker hitters towards the bottom of the lineup. Mauer just being there could allow Escobar, Hicks, Suzuki...etc...to see better pitches. I don't think he provides the same protection, at the moment anyway, for Dozier and Hammer.

  10. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,619
    Like
    3
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Even though he's slumping, his OBP is still better than the guys you might want to put in there (Plouffe, Arcia). I suppose Suzuki could move up but I don't think that's a great idea. With Mauer's track record, unless he's hurt, you'd assume he'd starting hitting again. Willingham has good on base skills but Morales, Arcia and Plouffe are more power than on-base. Ideally if the Twins had 1-3 hitters getting on base a lot, those 4 guys should get a lot of RBIs.
    Is OBP the only criteria for #3 hitter, though?

    And at that, Mauer's OBP this year is only marginally better than that of Plouffe and Arcia (and identical to Morales' career OBP). Meanwhile, his power is dramatically less than basically everyone else in our lineup -- like, similar to 2014 Hicks power (or lack thereof). In fact, by OBP and ISO, Mauer is basically an equivalent hitter to Hicks so far this year. (B-Ref's Rbat has them about equal too.)

    And I think we are creeping beyond slump territory here -- we're 40% through the season, and he's shown no real signs of recovery. Even if it's not absolutely necessary yet, it would be nice to see early confirmation that we're not going to hang on with him too long at the #3 spot, and that we're not going to let him dictate where and how much he plays forever regardless of his current on-field abilities/performance.

  11. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,517
    Like
    77
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    This may be his post concussion skill level at this point.

    I would bat him 8th until he shows otherwise. I would also sit him against lefties with Morales at first and Pinto as DH.

  12. #9
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,316
    Like
    1,300
    Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    I'm also of the opinion that it has something to do with his concussion.

    The other thing it reminds me of is August 2009 when Gardenhire kept trotting Morneau out there even though something really appeared to be wrong (again not just a slump). Later they diagnosed the stress fracture in his back.

    Mauer is making better contact than Morny did (who didn't make much contact at all as a I recall).

    I just find it very painful to watch this go on day after day for this long although he had a nice hit an inning ago.

  13. #10
    I don't buy the post-concussion thing as an explanation. I can't "prove" that it isn't a factor because we literally understand .01% of how the brain works and what head injuries do to our reflexes and timing. But there are more clearly observable things with him going on.

    Mauer, even the 2006-10 version of Mauer, ALWAYS supplemented his average with groundball or low line drive hits. You could probably find hundreds of clips of 5-hopper singles skipping through the Metrodome infield up the middle. There was a thought for years that you couldn't shift Mauer because he was such a great opposite field hitter.

    Turns out, you CAN shift Mauer, you just do it differently. Teams started putting infielders up the middle in his bilateral leg weakness year, and that was one of the explanations for his struggles in years past.

    But while you can accidentally hit singles, you can't really "accidentally" hit a double. Teams are now shifting to take away the gaps in the outfield, and they can do this because Mauer cannot or will not pull a ball down the right field line.

    This is what Mauer is. It's not like he's striking out at ungodly rates this year (Mauer's K's have been up even in good Mauer seasons like 2012 and 2013). When his BABIP is around .320 or lower, the average goes down. In all of his years where he was successful, his BABIP was around .350 (some years significantly higher). People attribute BABIP to luck, but it's also about defense and tendencies. It's like the line from Bull Durham about 20 extra base hits being the difference from getting a call-up.

    My point about Mauer is and has always been that the perception of his "success" is too closely tied to variations in how often his groundballs and liners fall for hits. He forces himself into two strike counts because he prefers to be a defensive hitter. If Joe Mauer was batting .290 right now, yes it'd be better, but as a #2 or #3 hitter, you need extra base hits to consistently drive in runs. Mauer's emphasis is and has always been to avoid getting out. If he were in Melky Cabrera's spot in the Blue Jays lineup, or Matt Carpenter on STL, he'd score 100 runs or more every year doing that. On this team, with the mostly ordinary lineups behind him, he looks, well, ordinary.

  14. These 2 users like StormJH1's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Sam Morley (06-11-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-11-2014)

  15. #11
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,601
    Like
    3,670
    Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Even though he's slumping, his OBP is still better than the guys you might want to put in there (Plouffe, Arcia).
    His OPB for May was under .300. Same for June so far.

    He's down in Hicks territory for the year.

    We all expect (hope?) he'll recover, but there's precious little sign of it currently, and if he continues to put himself in 0-2 and 1-2 counts multiple times per game, it's hard to see it change.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  16. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,517
    Like
    77
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Nice game today though. Single, double, walk so far.

    Nice to see a typical Mauer game. I hope he can string several together.

  17. These 5 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    curt1965 (06-11-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-11-2014), Sconnie (06-11-2014), SwainZag (06-11-2014), USAFChief (06-11-2014)

  18. #13
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    141
    Like
    348
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would want my best hitter hitting 3rd. So far, that has not been Mauer. I'm sure you would agree that at some point Mauer could need to be moved from the 3 spot. How long should Gardy wait before moving Mauer, is the question?

  19. #14
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    141
    Like
    348
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    You leave Mauer in the 3 hole because he might start heating up today. You drop him to 7 or 8 for a week...what happens if THAT'S when he starts heating up and you've now wasted a week with him buried in the bottom of the lineup? Sure, some people buy into the "you have to EARN your spot in the lineup" stuff, but given Mauer's OBP track record, he's earned a couple months of struggles near the top.

    And agree with gunn. You have to assume he'll start heating up. Trying to ride the hot hand in baseball is a fool's errand.
    Having a number 3 hitter with 3 home runs after 40% of the season seems like a bigger fool's errand to me.
    Last edited by tarheeltwinsfan; 06-11-2014 at 04:40 PM.

  20. #15
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    198
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    I'd probably switch Dozier and Mauer and then maybe switch Morales and Hammer. If Santana fades (c'mon he never hit .300 in the minors), I'd go Dozier, Mauer, Morales, Hammer. Maybe, just maybe, Mauer has "found it" after the three-hit game. Probably the most damning thing about Mauer is how seldom he has done what Morales did today--extend his strike zone a bit and smack a bases-clearing double.

  21. #16
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    22
    Like
    4
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    I think even when Mauer is on it he profiles better in the two spot.

  22. This user likes Sam Morley's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (06-12-2014)

  23. #17
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,728
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    You leave Mauer in the 3 hole because he might start heating up today. You drop him to 7 or 8 for a week...what happens if THAT'S when he starts heating up and you've now wasted a week with him buried in the bottom of the lineup? Sure, some people buy into the "you have to EARN your spot in the lineup" stuff, but given Mauer's OBP track record, he's earned a couple months of struggles near the top.

    And agree with gunn. You have to assume he'll start heating up. Trying to ride the hot hand in baseball is a fool's errand.
    Careful, that's Gardy's specialty.

  24. #18
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,728
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    Having a number 3 hitter with 3 home runs after 40% of the season seems like a bigger fool's errand to me.
    I only wish our #3 hitter had 3 HR, he currently sits at 2.

  25. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (06-12-2014)

  26. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,172
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Even though he's slumping, his OBP is still better than the guys you might want to put in there (Plouffe, Arcia).
    OK. As of this morning:

    Mauer: .333 OBP
    Hicks: .338 OBP

    According to your argument, Hicks should be batting third then, no?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  27. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (06-12-2014)

  28. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    OK. As of this morning:

    Mauer: .333 OBP
    Hicks: .338 OBP

    According to your argument, Hicks should be batting third then, no?
    It's amazing how good you are at taking things out of context. When Hicks has Mauer's track record of a .400 OBP we can talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.