Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Article: Twins Top 10 Prospects: Post-Draft Edition

  1. #41
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,536
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Would Walker be considered a rising prospect if he improved his OBP to .350 like Harrison and only 1 HR thru 60 games?
    I'm probably higher (on prospect rankings) on Adam Walker than most, and I have him in the 12-14 range. The problem is that his OBP is .290. If it was .330 people would be a lot higher. He's taken some good strides forward. I love the power and although I know RBI are dependent on other people, he just consistently gets them. That said, I don't think RBI are any sort of indicator. Walker is a prospect, and his power potential is elite. But the concerns addressed by myself and others are the reason that he's in the 12-14 range and not the 5-8 range.

    Harrison, with his .350 OBP and 1 home runs is a prospect in the 18-25 range at this point.

  2. #42
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,693
    Like
    310
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I also think that a player who consistently leads his leagues in HRs and RBI should be considered higher than 15 on a prospect list. The word was he would struggle in the FSL because of plate discipline based on his OBP in the past. He is progressing just like last year and picking his game up as the season moves along. Would Walker be considered a rising prospect if he improved his OBP to .350 like Harrison and only 1 HR thru 60 games? Fans loved Dozier last year with a .312 OBP and a sub .250 BA - because he hit HRs and wasn't close to leading the league.
    I think that is fair. I really like Walker and in the past, I've linked to Jason Parks podcast about the Twins. He didn't have Walker in his top 10) but said that he had an amazing ceiling and could be a "first division" type player, if he gets some plate discipline. That is a fantastic prospect to have.

    But the Twins system is absolutely loaded right now - they could have 5 players (Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Stewart, Gordon) in most top 40 lists, and only Meyer will graduate. And they have real depth behind that. Walker could be a top 10 prospect in a lot of other systems. Parks said the Twins 11-20 were better than at least 3 teams 1-10.

  3. #43
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,165
    Like
    103
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    . Parks said the Twins 11-20 were better than at least 3 teams 1-10.

    That is crazy.

  4. #44
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,778
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think that is fair. I really like Walker and in the past, I've linked to Jason Parks podcast about the Twins. He didn't have Walker in his top 10) but said that he had an amazing ceiling and could be a "first division" type player, if he gets some plate discipline. That is a fantastic prospect to have.

    But the Twins system is absolutely loaded right now - they could have 5 players (Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Stewart, Gordon) in most top 40 lists, and only Meyer will graduate. And they have real depth behind that. Walker could be a top 10 prospect in a lot of other systems. Parks said the Twins 11-20 were better than at least 3 teams 1-10.
    I'm not yet convinced that Meyer's 2014 "graduation" is a certainty, although it certainly should be.

  5. #45
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,408
    Like
    420
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'm not yet convinced that Meyer's 2014 "graduation" is a certainty, although it certainly should be.
    I don't think he graduates other than a Sept call up. That's a good thing, I might add. I suspect that one of May, Darnell, or Johnson will have pretty good success when KC and/or Deduno's spots vacate. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Pino finally got the call if they add a guy to the 40 man.

  6. #46
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,131
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Parks said the Twins 11-20 were better than the Twins 1-10.
    *ducks and runs*

  7. #47
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,778
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't think he graduates other than a Sept call up. That's a good thing, I might add. I suspect that one of May, Darnell, or Johnson will have pretty good success when KC and/or Deduno's spots vacate. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Pino finally got the call if they add a guy to the 40 man.
    You are likely right in all of your personnel conclusions. But I disagree about Meyer. As in the case of Gibson, Kevin Gausman (age 22 for his debut), Michael Wacha (age 21 for his debut), and others, I think Meyer (now age 24) is more than ready to test his mettle at this level, and would benefit greatly from getting himself established this year for a chance at even better effectiveness in 2015.

  8. #48
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,131
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    You are likely right in all of your personnel conclusions. But I disagree about Meyer. As in the case of Gibson, Kevin Gausman (age 22 for his debut), Michael Wacha (age 21 for his debut), and others, I think Meyer (now age 24) is more than ready to test his mettle at this level, and would benefit greatly from getting himself established this year for a chance at even better effectiveness in 2015.
    I'm cautious with prospects - probably to a fault - and even I think Meyer should get a taste of the bigs this season. He's not the type of prospect who needs an entire season in AAA.

  9. #49
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,408
    Like
    420
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm cautious with prospects - probably to a fault - and even I think Meyer should get a taste of the bigs this season. He's not the type of prospect who needs an entire season in AAA.
    That may be true, but his problem right has more to do with endurance. Are they really going to test him out as a starter in MLB on an 80 pitch count limit? Even if they start to up that a bit, I don't see it happening. I'm guessing he comes up in the pen in September (which I'd argue is a good thing for his development too).

  10. #50
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    548
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Who was the last Twins Prospect to win either and / or both the MVP and Home Run Derby at the FSL All Star Game?

    Congrats - Big Fella
    http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._l123&sid=l123
    and
    http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._milb&sid=milb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.