Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
    How could they do this?????

He's tied for the team lead in triples!

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 390 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Ryan did the stand up thing:

• Phil Miller ‏@MillerStrib 16m
      Ryan said telling Kubel he's being released was hard -- "He's made a lot of big contributions here." He & Kubel go back more than a decade.
    I obviously feel the worst for Kubel - but that has to be an incredibly tough part of the job to tell someone they are being let go - knowing that often there is a good chance they are basically done for good - esp. when you have a long history with that person and they have done a lot for you in the past.

It is one thing to let someone go from a regular company where you know they have a better chance of finding something else, but in these cases a lot of time you are telling the player there is a good chance their dream is over and they may never play at this level again.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
    How could they do this?????

He's tied for the team lead in triples!
    Also tied for fewest Caught Stealing. Call up the Commissioner's Office, Terry, and tell them there's been a terrible clerical error.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    It's the right business decision- but it's always a bummer when a player isn't able to end their season on their own terms.

Good luck to Kubel in whatever comes next!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always liked Jason Kubel. Unfortunately, pro baseball with few exceptions is a game for guys in their 20's, and you have be lucky enough to stay fairly healthy even to stick around to 30. Kubel did an amazing job coming back from a really bad knee injury in the minors, and managed to have a pretty good run in the bigs.

I will remember his home run against Mariano Rivera, when he put one of those vicious cutters into the right field bleachers. Kubel swung the bat like he was trying to knock off his own big toe!

6. These 2 users like jimbo92107's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-09-2014), LaBombo (06-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    I was at that game, sitting in the upper deck behind home plate. The grand slam was the punchline to the joke set up in the previous at bat. Second and third, Morneau up, and they intentionally walk him to load the bases for Kubel. I'm thinking to myself, "Are the Angels watching the same game I am? Kubel's a beast today. This is not going to end well for them."

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's hard to see someone who had so much success in a Twins uniform for a long time end up with this fate. It's more annoying to read and hear commenters bashing someone who has done so much for the organization over the years.
    There was considerable "bashing" of Kubel? Must have missed most of that. My recollection was that most posters felt the time had come to part ways with him, and much of that was prefaced with a 'thanks for the memories' acknowledgement. Just my impression.

If there was widespread bashing going on, it seems to me it was the front office being questioned for placing him on the opening day roster. That was compounded by the FO bringing Bartlett and Guerrier north as well, giving the appearance that the Twins were assembling a nostalgia trip instead of rebuilding toward contention.

At any rate, the Twins made the right call, unpleasant though it was. But even if it was late in coming, it shouldn't affect the future much, and the impact on 2014 may be more than made up for with the KM signing.

As for Kubel, he will be remembered for his role on the contending teams in the latter half of the previous decade. He was a South Dakota kid who had a fine career despite a knee injury so devastating his baseball future appeared to be in jeopardy. And at age 32, if he walks away from the game, he does so with over 30 million well-deserved dollars in his pocket.

Also, as others have mentioned, if he is inclined to transition from player to another role in baseball, he couldn't have spent the majority of his playing career with a better organization than the Twins.

So overall, it seems to me that pretty much everyone would agree that the story of Jason Kubel's playing career with the Twins has, regardless of 2014, a happy ending for the fans, the franchise, and Jason.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 06-09-2014 at 02:34 PM.

9. These 3 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-09-2014), jokin (06-09-2014), snepp (06-09-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the memories, Jason. Best of luck to you.

11. This user likes tarheeltwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    I will remember his home run against Mariano Rivera, when he put one of those vicious cutters into the right field bleachers. Kubel swung the bat like he was trying to knock off his own big toe!
    I remember listening to that game. Too bad it didn't happen in the playoffs!

My Kubel memory will be the 2006 walk-off grand slam against the Red Sox, followed the next day by a Twins win featuring the bat boy tacking an on-field interloper. I'm sure some day I will conflate the two memories, and Kubel will become the tackler (or the interloper).

13. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-09-2014), notoriousgod71 (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Also tied for fewest Caught Stealing. Call up the Commissioner's Office, Terry, and tell them there's been a terrible clerical error.
    It's okay -- Kubel asked Rob Antony to sleep on it, so nothing is official yet.

15. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's hard to see someone who had so much success in a Twins uniform for a long time end up with this fate. It's more annoying to read and hear commenters bashing someone who has done so much for the organization over the years.
    I certainly won't defend any commenters that personally bash anyone, and I don't think that's been happening here. And I hope for his sake that he finds opportunity elsewhere if he so desires.

But to put some things in perspective: according to B-Ref, even before his disastrous 2014, Kubel had 4.8 WAR in a Twins uniform (less than that in Fangraphs WAR), in the equivalent of about 5 full seasons worth of games. Jason Bartlett had more than that in his short tenure with the Twins. Nick Blackburn exceeded that total in just his first 2 seasons too. "Twins Great" Dan Gladden has him beat in fewer games as well. (Factor in 2014, and Kubel drops to 3.6 WAR, around the same level as ~2 season Twins Rick Reed and Luis Castillo.)

He was part of some fun teams, and I loved his knack for memorable grand slams, but in terms on on-field Twins success, he should slot in behind the above guys, and ahead of mostly Delmon Young disappointment types. He wasn't much of a defender, and outside of 2009 never really hit enough to be a plus DH either.

17. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Another great Kubes memory that I haven't seen mentioned here: he hit the first home run in Target Field history.

Though I did love that grand slam off Rivera too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123