Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Article: Report: Twins Agree to Sign Kendrys Morales

Liked 3,152 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I think the math on the 25 million increase is misleading. I believe it is the average of the old deal over several years compared to the average of the new deal over several years. Each deal increased annually so 2013 was the top end of the previous and 2014 is the bottom of the current. The actual amount might be in the 5-10 million range before mlb takes their cut.
    According to this article, it's $25m per team in additional 2014 revenue over 2013.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-n...2014-payrolls/
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    According to this article, it's $25m per team in additional 2014 revenue over 2013.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-n...2014-payrolls/
    I have seen and heard a different explanation of the 25 million average per year increase and what it means when comparing 2013 and 2014. One link

http://www.royalsreview.com/2014/2/1...oyals-finances

I am not sure which is correct. If teams received the same fixed amount in each year of the previous contract and will receive the same fixed amount each year for the next 8 years of the new contract then it is a 25 million dollar change from 2013-2014.

If both of the contracts have built in year to year increases and it is a difference in average per year, then the change from 2013 to 2014 would be significantly smaller than 25 million.

The year 2021 would be around 25 million more than 2013 and the year 2014 would be around 25 million more than 2006 assuming the contracts were the same duration.

In either case, the Twins can absolutely afford Morales. That is not in dispute.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 06-08-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    He will also block Pinto, but the signing still makes a lot of sense. If the Twins still stink on July 31, the Twins may be able to parlay a decent player out of Morales and still have time to develop Vargas in August and September. Or better yet, the Twins might not be done tinkering, Ryan himself said today the situation for roster positions is fluid, and there are still possible trades and deals that could be made. Ryan is back, and he's going for it....as long as the future isn't being unduly harmed or mortgaged, how can any Twins fan be against this?
    The team is in last place, 3 games under .500. Adding Morales does nothing to fundamentally alter the pecking order in the American League. It's a modest improvement to a team that is not a contender.

If the plan was to contend this year, then the off-season was grossly inadequate, even with the signings of Hughes & Nolasco. They didn't add enough to contend and the results have clearly demonstrated as much.

I do think the organization is concerned about the impact the past few years has had on the fan base. I see the logic in trying to bolster the odds of finishing .500 or fairly close to it. But the problem is this - that goal is inconsistent with trading away guys at the deadline, even if it remains clear that the playoffs are out of the question.

5. This user likes drivlikejehu's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (06-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    The team is in last place, 3 games under .500. Adding Morales does nothing to fundamentally alter the pecking order in the American League. It's a modest improvement to a team that is not a contender.

If the plan was to contend this year, then the off-season was grossly inadequate, even with the signings of Hughes & Nolasco. They didn't add enough to contend and the results have clearly demonstrated as much.

I do think the organization is concerned about the impact the past few years has had on the fan base. I see the logic in trying to bolster the odds of finishing .500 or fairly close to it. But the problem is this - that goal is inconsistent with trading away guys at the deadline, even if it remains clear that the playoffs are out of the question.
    Last place today, while just a few days ago they were in 2nd place? Place means nothing. As it stands right now, 11 AL teams are within 6 games of a Wild Card spot. 8 teams are just above .500, at .500, or just below .500. Parity has broken out in the League in a big, big way.

No arguments here about their lack of insight in the offseason, many of us are just glad that they have finally started now to respond to make a more earnest effort to compete with what many of us pointed out were logical, obvious, necessary, doable, affordable and still strategically-sound moves for the long run.

And trading away 2 potentially valuable chips (along with veteran pitching) at the deadline, if done properly in, can strengthen the club with new prospects, while letting valuable current prospects (Rosario, Vargas, Pitchers) begin to get their feet wet this year going into 2015

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moderator note here. The Twins just spent 7M dollars on a legitimate bat to go into the lineup. Let's not turn this thread into a debate on payroll. We've seen far too many threads derail on that subject. What has been said has been said many times.

thank you.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Last place today, while just a few days ago they were in 2nd place? Place means nothing. As it stands right now, 11 AL teams are within 6 games of a Wild Card spot. 8 teams are just above .500, at .500, or just below .500. Parity has broken out in the League in a big, big way.
    I don't agree that the current standings mean nothing. The Twins have to outplay a ton of teams from here on out just to get a wildcard spot.

Could they outplay the White Sox? Of course. Kansas City? Sure. But then also - New York? Baltimore? Texas? Seattle? Los Angeles? Cleveland? Boston?

The Twins aren't going to be able to keep pace with or overtake so many clubs. It's not realistic if you look at the rosters of the other teams and compare to the Twins. You can come up with reasons for why it will happen for any individual opponent, but collectively a few of those are going to play better baseball from here on out.

9. This user likes drivlikejehu's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    If you are going to use ZiPS projections for Morales then you should use ZiPS for whichever player(s) he pushes out of the lineup instead of the incredibly lucky .860 OPS posted by whichever players have DH'd.

Guys losing AB's and their ZiPS
    Kubel - .666
    Santana - .645
    Nunez - .669 - this guy keeps showing up in the lineup in the OF/DH - he's a futility IF'er that shouldn't be starting ever at these positions
    Parmelee - .682
    Pinto - .714 - it should also be obvious that Pinto wasn't going to be DH'ing a lot.

I will gladly take a legitimate middle of the order bat in place of this list only for the cost of money (that isn't mine).
    I really like this move as a stand alone, esecially since Kendry is not blocking anyone of value. I just am confused at which direction we are going in. Are we rebuilding, are we contending? Seems kind of half and half to me

Liked 1,274 Times in 738 Posts
    Tom Powers' concluding paragraphs of this story: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...bolster-roster

sum it up pretty well:

To me, either you're in or you're out. Ryan and the front office indicated they were in by signing Morales. They will indicate otherwise if the Twins go through the rotation a couple more times with similar results and make no internal moves. The Morales signing fills a vital need but the pitching, overall, remains subpar.

The good news is that Ryan has his heart set on being in contention for a postseason spot. He absolutely believes it is possible.

"We're at a point in the season where there's a lot of baseball left," he said. "Why not the Twins?"

Why not the Twins? Offhand, I'd say pitching. But, wow, I wasn't expecting that question today. Maybe not even for a couple of years. Let me think about it as soon as I'm finished with these smelling salts.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    I honestly don't see how anyone can dislike this move.

The idea that Willingham/Correia/Suzuki were somehow going to bring back some stud prospects for the future is frankly just incorrect, at best you are looking at some C level prospects who at best would be role players moving forward.

I'm glad the Twins are going for it at this stage, hopefully this allows them eventually to send Pinto down to get some more work defensively so someday he truly can become an everyday catcher, I don't think he will hit enough to work at DH, so I think this is very important.

Morales is a stud and instantly becomes this lineups best hitter (until Mauer gets it back)
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

13. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (06-09-2014)

Could they outplay the White Sox? Of course. Kansas City? Sure. But then also - New York? Baltimore? Texas? Seattle? Los Angeles? Cleveland? Boston?
    New York: Yes, New York is old and full of injury risk players.
    Baltimore: Prob the best of the bunch of that group, they would be the toughest.
    Texas: Not a good team this year, injuries have destroyed them.
    Seattle: Yes.
    LA: Yes
    Clev: Yes
    Boston: This will be tough.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Baltimore: Prob the best of the bunch of that group, they would be the toughest.
    While I doubt that the Twins can overtake all of the teams near or ahead of them at this moment, there are about 100 games left and so much can happen in that time. I think it is too early to give up on the season that may be a transition year, may be a building year and if the teams fills an inside straight, may be a contending year. Morales fills a desperate need for a reliable bat in the middle of the order. There is nothing in the minors that projects to anything like what Morales would project to produce and the best in-house option (Pinto) is a rookie who is currently struggling both at the plate and behind it.

16. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (06-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I don't agree that the current standings mean nothing. The Twins have to outplay a ton of teams from here on out just to get a wildcard spot.
    Again, you used the example of the Twins being in "last place", which makes no sense in terms of being only 2 games behind the 2nd place team in the Central Division and especially in terms of the 2 Wild Card slots. There are at least 10 other teams besides the Twins that will have to outplay each other just to get a wildcard spot. right now. There are exactly 2 teams out of 15 playing decent baseball in the AL. The rest are trudging through various forms of mediocrity. The AL Central is dominating the AL East in head-to-head competition, the AL East is besting the West, while the West is doing the same to the Central.

Parity is the reality.

And Detroit lately is showing no signs of running away with the Central. That's 3 potential openings for the Twins to shoot for.

You ask: "How?"

TR asks: "Why not?"

The Twins aren't going to be able to keep pace with or overtake so many clubs. It's not realistic if you look at the rosters of the other teams and compare to the Twins.
    As the rosters stand right now, you're right, it's a long hill to climb. But it's now become obvious, right now, that comparing current rosters and expecting the Twins roster to remain static is no longer an operative assumption.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    By my math, that leaves one wild card spot.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I really like this move as a stand alone, esecially since Kendry is not blocking anyone of value. I just am confused at which direction we are going in. Are we rebuilding, are we contending? Seems kind of half and half to me
    Since the end of the 2011 season, the term, "rebuilding" has never crossed the Twins' lips, they've been half and half ever since then.

20. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad the Twins are going for it at this stage, hopefully this allows them eventually to send Pinto down to get some more work defensively so someday he truly can become an everyday catcher, I don't think he will hit enough to work at DH, so I think this is very important.
    I wouldn't send down Pinto. Even if Suzuki is the starter, he's going to get at least 2 games off out of every 7-- if we hope to stay in the race, might as well have those starts go to a guy who could be a decent hitter and passable defender, rather than punt the spot with Herrmann or Fryer.

If we fall out of the race, maybe send Pinto down to play everyday, or better yet, start him at both C and DH a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I wouldn't send down Pinto. Even if Suzuki is the starter, he's going to get at least 2 games off out of every 7-- if we hope to stay in the race, might as well have those starts go to a guy who could be a decent hitter and passable defender, rather than punt the spot with Herrmann or Fryer.

If we fall out of the race, maybe send Pinto down to play everyday, or better yet, start him at both C and DH a lot more.
    True, that is a good point. I just hate having him up here to only play 2 days a week if that's the case. Maybe they inch closer towards a 50/50 split at Catcher and utilize him more as a PH as well.

23. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

whatever54 (06-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I honestly don't see how anyone can dislike this move.

The idea that Willingham/Correia/Suzuki were somehow going to bring back some stud prospects for the future is frankly just incorrect, at best you are looking at some C level prospects who at best would be role players moving forward.

Morales is a stud and instantly becomes this lineups best hitter (until Mauer gets it back)
    The Twins now have 2, and possibly 3 very good potential trade chips, should they drop out of contention. The Moreland injury in Texas illustrates how quickly Morales' value can soar, even before playing one game for the Twins. There are 20 teams within 5 games of a Wild Card- plus the 6 division leaders- that's 25 teams besides the Twins, many are likely to end up needing a hitter, or a Catcher. Morales and Suzuki could easily get something better than a C prospect (have we forgotten the Butera trade already?), while Willingham, if he keeps up some semblance to his current production level, might also yield a decent player.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since the end of the 2011 season, the term, "rebuilding" has never crossed the Twins' lips, they've been half and half ever since then.
    I completely agree.

Now watch May come up first because of the 40 man issue....or Kris Johnson first. Know where you are in your cycle and commit to it. I will never fault this team for trying to make moves to win now and for the future. Morales is not blocking anyone, let's keep moving forward and bring up Meyer.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I completely agree.

Now watch May come up first because of the 40 man issue....or Kris Johnson first. Know where you are in your cycle and commit to it. I will never fault this team for trying to make moves to win now and for the future. Morales is not blocking anyone, let's keep moving forward and bring up Meyer.
    I hope May or Meyer both get the call soon, but Terry Ryan's comments yesterday weren't encouraging. In the 4th inning, the boys were ruminating on the Futures game, and May and Meyer's names were the first 2 that Terry Ryan mentioned for the American team.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast