Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Report: Twins Agree to Sign Kendrys Morales

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinssouth View Post
    Awesome idea. After seeing Meyer last night on limited pitch count, I can definitely see this happening later in the year. My Gosh, he'd be lights out and get his feet wet in majors at same time. Great idea jokin
    I think he needs to get his innings in six at a time, and not two at a time. He needs to be able to pitch 180 innings next year. So 130 this year is the quota, maybe a few more. Tough to get that in the pen.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Morales is active and with the club. Might he pinch hit today?
    I could see them maybe putting him in in a low leverage situation (ie if it's 8-0) late in the game, just to get some reps, but I couldn't see them doing that otherwise.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I am still in shock. If I didn't have people coming in town this week I would be at the game. I said they would get more of my money when they started spending theirs.

4. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I think he needs to get his innings in six at a time, and not two at a time. He needs to be able to pitch 180 innings next year. So 130 this year is the quota, maybe a few more. Tough to get that in the pen.
    I agree, I'm just saying, after he builds up his stamina and gets his innings in at Rochester, say 160 to 180, he could be a late season call up and in short relief. And, if Twins are still in contention, they could use his arsenal in key moments. It's win win, gets his feet wet and ready for 2015 rotation. Or, Twins may surprise me and bring him up this summer which would be awesome.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I think a pretty clear directive came down from the Pohlads in the off-season that management had gotten a little too conservative.

Not that I ever expect Ryan to be a free spender but I think he did have to adjust to the fact that the budget constraints aren't identical to those in the days of the Dome.
    Granted I don't know much about Jim Pohlad but based on what I have heard him say in public he seems willing to spend significantly more than the team has. He does typically end such statements as he leaves signings to the FO or more specifically TR. He doesn't appear to get overly involved in baseball operations at that level.

So based on that I agree that they are free to spend up to whatever the limit is. With TR at the helm it will likely only be prudent spending and not just to spend to the limit.

I just heard on the radio broadcast that Mitch Moreland is out for 6 months after having ankle surgery. Morales can play some 1B. What if the Twins were to flip Morales to the Rangers for a prospect? Worth it?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    We've been debating that very point. Now, how do the Twins demote the Face of the Franchise to the bottom of the order?
    As Nike's motto states: "Just do it".

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one is saying this is the final piece. Just a step in the right direction. Incidentally, it also shows a greater willingness to jettison sunk costs. I am sad for Kubel, but he will make $3M to watch from the couch this year. Correia should be on notice.

Lost in all this is the man taking the questions at the press conference. Terry Ryan was front and center and appears to be back at the helm. Hopefully this is the first of several moves by the Commodore.
    Welcome back Terry!

Liked 1,265 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    Welcome back Terry!
    Now figure out some better pitching.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Now figure out some better pitching.
    There May be a solution for this.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

12. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-08-2014), kab21 (06-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Morales' projections of OPS ranged from 744 (zips) to 795 (steamer) and 0.5 to 1.5 WAR on a full season. Twin DHs have an OPS of 860 this year. Twin first basemen have an OPS of 649.
    Yeah, this is why it seems like a pointless move. They're probably getting little to no upgrade at DH (and I don't really expect Morales to get much time at 1B unless Mauer is on the DL), and even if Pinto/Santana and anyone else who might otherwise DH turned into replacement-level players the rest of the way, Morales is likely to be worth less than 1 WAR in half a season.

Currently Fangraphs projects the Twins to finish with 74 wins, with 1.9% chance at the postseason. If the rest of the season plays out according to their present run differential (-24), the team is headed for 75 wins. But given that some good players may be hurt or traded, or just regress, this summer, I could see the team slipping to 70-72 wins, too. A lot of positive changes would have to happen to make this 2014 team a real contender. And people are excited that Terry Ryan added a DH who probably won't add more than one win, if that, to a 70-something win total?

Meanwhile, for the chance at this marginal, short-term gain, Ryan and Gardy will block Pinto, Santana and other younger players who should be getting regular plate appearances. If the club cared about player development, if the club were committed to a real plan for the future, management would put a high priority on getting the young guys regular playing time to help them get established this season, to get them better prepared for next season. And it shouldn't be hard to do, anyway, given what little difference there is between the youngsters and a guy like Kendrys Morales.

Nope, apparently management is just tired of losing now. It's embarrassing, you guys! And although it's still a bad team, it's technically still "in the race," and there's this veteran bat available, so LET'S GET HIM and GO FOR IT!!!!1!!!!

Some of you might think this shows that the Twins are "serious." I think it shows that Twins management is seriously lost.
    Last edited by frightwig; 06-08-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: paragraphs formatting

Liked 1,265 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frightwig View Post
    Yeah, this is why it seems like a pointless move.
    Hmmm .... the possibility of somewhat better performance vs. keeping the money in Pohlad's pockets.

I vote for giving the fans something new to watch even if it doesn't pan out. I sincerely don't think Morales is blocking anybody except possibly Kennys Vargas and while I'd like to see Vargas at some point this season, I'll be content if it's later in the year.

And i still think that if the Twins go nowhere, the potential of trading Morales has some value.

15. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 129 Times in 81 Posts
    Some notes...

Morales' projections of OPS ranged from 744 (zips) to 795 (steamer) and 0.5 to 1.5 WAR on a full season. Twin DHs have an OPS of 860 this year. Twin first basemen have an OPS of 649.

Morales will not be eligible for a qualifying offer at the end of the season. He will be able to seek a multiyear deal without being tied to compensation.

Free agents signed in the winter can not be traded until June 15. I don't think there is any other restriction on trading Morales.
    If you are going to use ZiPS projections for Morales then you should use ZiPS for whichever player(s) he pushes out of the lineup instead of the incredibly lucky .860 OPS posted by whichever players have DH'd.

Guys losing AB's and their ZiPS
    Kubel - .666
    Santana - .645
    Nunez - .669 - this guy keeps showing up in the lineup in the OF/DH - he's a futility IF'er that shouldn't be starting ever at these positions
    Parmelee - .682
    Pinto - .714 - it should also be obvious that Pinto wasn't going to be DH'ing a lot.

I will gladly take a legitimate middle of the order bat in place of this list only for the cost of money (that isn't mine).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For some reason I like this move.

I can't imagine it has more than a 1 win impact.

I know that they could have filled the spot with a third catcher and played Pinto regularly.

I know this means Willingham is stuck in LF. He will wear down and his performance will drop possibly costing the win they gained.

I know Morales will be elsewhere next year and really won't be very marketable this year.

I know you don't rebuild by fielding your oldest team in the last two decades. Morales adds to the record number of players in their 30s the Twins have used this year.

... and I still like the move when it goes against reason.

Intellectually, it makes so much more sense to build the next winning team. As a regular viewer and listener, I seem to care more about the ever so small increase in likelihood that they will win the next game.

Senior Member All-Star
    You don't move Meyer to the bullpen until August when he has pitched most of his starter workload innings. By the end of July he should have 120+ innings so picking up an extra 10/month as a RP'er works well. If you leave him at starter for the whole season then he will end up with 160-180. Obviously you have to handle him differently than a normal RP'er (like no back to back games) but he gets a taste of MLB hitters and should be ready for the rotation in April.

Senior Member All-Star
    Intellectually, it makes so much more sense to build the next winning team. As a regular viewer and listener, I seem to care more about the ever so small increase in likelihood that they will win the next game.
    But it doesn't intellectually make sense when you don't have young (good) prospects getting the AB's that Morales is taking and the players that he replaces suck.

If Sano wasn't out for the year, Buxton hadn't missed the 1st 2+ months, Vargas was ready to be promoted, Parmelee hadn't sucked again or if the Twins had legitimate young options for those AB's then Morales wouldn't be a great choice. But the Twins are giving those AB's to some absolutely awful players. Intellectually this move should make a lot of sense.

20. These 2 users like kab21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (06-08-2014), whatever54 (06-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    The shocking Morales signing (take that you people who still call the Pohlads cheapskates), means that changes are coming. I would guess that Kubel is gone, since Parms can play 1b. This move signifies the weakness of the AL Central that the Twins think they can make a run. The lineup looks formidable (in Twins' terms), and Hughes, Gibson and Even Nolasco of late have been good. So I expect the next domino to fall to be Correia or Burton. Meyer, May, Tonkin and Achter as possible replacements. I don't know it will be enough, but meaningful baseball late into the summer will be a welcome sight after the last three years
    They've dropped payroll every year since the 1st in the new park EASILY 20-30 mill under the approved 52% of revenue. Now this year they receive 25 extra mill in tv revenue & are still 15 mill under what was spent in the first year at target field.

A 1 year 7 mill deal & you want to throw it in peoples faces with over the 60-80 mill of unspent payroll over the last few years that's just going into Pohlads pockets that this shows they & Ryan aren't cheap.

Good luck with that argument.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 06-08-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    They've dropped payroll every year since the 1st in the new park EASILY 20-30 mill under the approved 52% of revenue. Now this year they receive 25 extra mill in tv revenue & are still 15 mill under what was spent in the first year at target field.

A 1 year 7 mill deal & you want to throw it in peoples faces with over the 60-80 mill of unspent payroll over the last few years that's just going into Pohlads pockets that this shows they & Ryan aren't cheap.

Good luck with that argument.
    I think the math on the 25 million increase is misleading. I believe it is the average of the old deal over several years compared to the average of the new deal over several years. Each deal increased annually so 2013 was the top end of the previous and 2014 is the bottom of the current. The actual amount might be in the 5-10 million range before mlb takes their cut.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    There May be a solution for this.
    Yes, especially if they don't get Meyered down in the details around "consistency".

24. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-08-2014), Oldgoat_MN (06-09-2014), USAFChief (06-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm .... the possibility of somewhat better performance vs. keeping the money in Pohlad's pockets.

I vote for giving the fans something new to watch even if it doesn't pan out. I sincerely don't think Morales is blocking anybody except possibly Kennys Vargas and while I'd like to see Vargas at some point this season, I'll be content if it's later in the year.

And i still think that if the Twins go nowhere, the potential of trading Morales has some value.
    He will also block Pinto, but the signing still makes a lot of sense. If the Twins still stink on July 31, the Twins may be able to parlay a decent player out of Morales and still have time to develop Vargas in August and September. Or better yet, the Twins might not be done tinkering, Ryan himself said today the situation for roster positions is fluid, and there are still possible trades and deals that could be made. Ryan is back, and he's going for it....as long as the future isn't being unduly harmed or mortgaged, how can any Twins fan be against this?

26. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-08-2014)

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast