Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Report: Twins Agree to Sign Kendrys Morales

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    +1

And maybe buddying up with Boras on the front end (Pelfrey) does pay dividends on the back end (Morales)?
    Another consideration of this signing is that Boras represents Meyer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Pinto is now out at DH, and is playing less around 28% of the games at Catcher- Is he better served, for the long-term, getting full-time reps in Rochester?
    I really don't know. I think he should stay up and learn at the ML level - he is 25. Steinbach is working with him a lot. Suzuki is a good guy to watch. I'd just rather keep him up and ride it out.

3. These 2 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (06-08-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins sign Morales. The Red Wings have some really good AAA pitchers. Help is on the way. Twins draft Gordon as the future SS. Burdi can throw serious heat at 103 mph. Gibson just shut out Houston and Santana went 4 for 5. All I can say is..."The years at the spring; And day's at the morn; ... The lark's on his wing; The snail's on the thorn; God's in His heaven; All's right with the world!"

5. These 3 users like tarheeltwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-07-2014), luckylager (06-07-2014), whatever54 (06-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    There is no downside to this move as it is a one year deal.
    Ah yes, a magical phrase we've heard before

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 516 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like most, I am shocked by this signing - it is hard not to like though. I guess the Twins brass think they are really in this thing.

So what are people's thoughts on the line-up going forward when Morales and Fuld enter the fold?

Maybe something like this:

C - Suzuki
    1B - Mauer
    2b - Dozier
    SS - Escobar
    3B - Plouffe
    LF - Willingham
    CF - Santana
    RF - Arcia
    DH - Morales

Not that I am championing sending Hicks down, but Gardy seems to be in love with Santana and I hope to high hell that they do not start Fuld. Please no Fuld as a starter... please.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    Lets not get too excited about Santana. He's striking out 27% of the time and his BABIP is .465!

Regression will happen sooner or later.
    No doubt!

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Another consideration of this signing is that Boras represents Meyer.
    I believe that's called "Dancing with the Devil"...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Ah yes, a magical phrase we've heard before
    Well yes technically there is potential downside but I too happy to see it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    Lets not get too excited about Santana. He's striking out 27% of the time and his BABIP is .465!

Regression will happen sooner or later.
    Indeed. Love what he's doing, he cannot keep it up. Nobody can hit successfully at that clip over a sustained period.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Thank goodness. The Twins actually have hitters at positions where hitters should actually play instead throwing some random guy in there. My pet peeve forever is the notion that something will just work out at key offensive positions. Pinto loses a few DH AB's but he is literally the only good hitter that loses any AB's in this deal and this is assuming that Morales/Willy/Arcia can all stay healthy. That's unlikely.

I was a little excited to think that Vargas might make an appearance late this season but I can wait a year for that.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love it!
    Ecstatic!

Doesn't matter, but when I heard there was a "mystery" team dealing on Morales, I just KNEW it was us. All off season and even during ST there were 3 issues I argued the FO to make a move on. One was another CF/OF, which they blew. (Discussed to death here in blogs) and a solid spare part INF who could hopefully hit LH. They were lucky to get Fuld, though it doesn't excuse boneheadedness. We did make a move for Nunez which was solid, got smart to give Escobar his shot, and have gotten a huge surprise and lift from Santana so far. And while I didn't want to give up the second round pick, moot point now, I argued strongly for Morales. Thought it was a perfect fit for the Twins then, just as perfect a fit now.

He is only 30, not some aging veteran player on last legs. He provides an OK backup to Mauer. The guy hits from both sides with power and is a proven player. He's also unlikely to break the bank, and the Twins can more than afford him. If he has a solid season, and likes the team and the park, they could be in the driver's seat to re-sign him. Especially with Willingham gone after this season. Productive and only 30, he can very much be a part of this rebuild.

Before the arguement even begins, he doesn't block Vargas. No matter how good Vargas might end up being, he's still in AA, for now. And until you prove you can hit at the ML level, you haven't proven that you can hit at the ML level.

I don't know where Morales hits. When he's ready, it might take a little juggling to find the ideal lineup. There are arguements for 3,4,5. And there are arguements for Mauer to stay at 2 for now, or slide down. If Mauer can get over whatever hump he's dealing with and can be Mauer again, I still argue the 3 spot is his ideal location for Avg/OB/contact/decent power and the ability to drive runners in as well as start and continue innings. The old "best pure hitter on the team hits third" arguement. But the whole lineup just got deeper and better.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The PP article on Morales' signing says that he will go directly to the major league team:
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...morales-report

Here's the part about heading directly to the majors:
    According to a person with direct knowledge, the Twins indeed have a deal in place with the switch-hitting Morales and his agent, Scott Boras. That deal would likely bring the Cuban defector straight to the majors, skipping a minor league rehab assignment, despite the fact that he hasn't played since the end of last season.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 06-08-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Some additional points that follows along with this thread:

1) Over the past 20 plus years, TK and Gardy have done an excellent job mixing and matching overall to get all of the position players time to play. Granted, this was hard to do and with mixed results the past three not so great seasons. But when talent has been actually available, it's been a signature of both managers. It allows everyone to help stay sharp and contribute vs sitting daily and then thrust in to an AB or the lineup cold. Pinto doesn't have to be regulated to a non performer. He can still DH in place of Morales, or Mauer when Morales might play 1B. Further, he can continue to C on a semi-regular basis. Further, if this is done, continued ML experience, while continuing to learn from Suzuki and Steinbach is a good thing. Further along even, who else becomes your other C if not Pinto?

2) Barring something nobody can foresee at this moment, Suzuki will be re-signed at some point. This is NOT a bad thing. Even if Pinto, hopefully, begins to take over the position, and even becomes the primary starter in 2015, who is his backup? I still like Herrman as an eventual quality role player and backup C possibly. But is he your guy in 2015? The Twins actually have a few intriguing options in the lower minors, but they aren't close to ready. Even a rebuilding, young, contending team needs a few solid veterans. You don't win with an entire team of rookies and second year players.

3) I am sad to say it, but Kubel is toast. He's been a favorite of mine for some time, but he had just enough left for one good April to help the Twins. He's done. And, almost as unfortunate, it appears Parmelee just isn't going to turn the corner. At least not here and now. No matter what the future may hold for him, wish him the best of luck, it just might be time to part ways and let him go elsewhere for a change. If he goes unclaimed, perhaps he can return to Rochester, play every day, grow, and take another shot next season. But these are the two who go in favor of Morales and Fuld when ready.

Santana stays.

Yes, his playing CF and learning on the fly is rather misguided and stinks. And I understand the idea of him playing SS on a daily basis. Not disagreeing with that thought, in theory. And Escobar, even with some eventual regression, has proven that he can play. And he doesn't deserve to lose his spot as the teams primary SS. He's done nothing but excel. But his versatility also allows the team to play him at various positions occassionaly, as well as sit a day here and there, so Santana can still play SS.

Everyone keeps calling for the Twins to promote and play youngsters so they can play, learn, fail at times, learn more, etc. So here you have a dynamic young athlete who is doing that, out performing anything we could have expected, seems to have an attitude and approach that refuses to be intimidated, is providing a real spark, and some want him demoted. I don't get it.

4) CF. It's a mess. It's a cluster. I don't have a perfect answer. But barring a trade, (just don't see it for obvious reasons), or another waiver- wire acquisition, it is what it is. Touched on Santana already. At this point, why not run with it? At least a few days a week. Fuld did a really nice job, provided a lift, but even healthy and back again, he is what he is. And that is an experienced professional ball player who can contribute, but is a 4th OF. Hicks is a bizarre, talented enigma, not even of his own making. He's probably not been handled correctly. But the talent and potential is still there. He's attempting now to do the seeming impossible: overcome a rush to the majors and learn to hit exclusively RH at the ML level. What? And yet, despite some shortcomings, he's a solid defensive player. He's now a RH hitter compared to other LH options, he actually gets on base OK, and has actually hit better since the change. What do you do? Do you keep Kubel or Parmelee over Hicks? Or are we, and he, at the point, where you keep him up and continue to work with him and the Twins coaches at the ML level? I actually think the latter might be the prudent move at this point.

5) Pitching. Correia will not finish the season with the Twins, rest assured about that. Now 26-21 when Correia doesn't start a game. That's not only significant, but the Twins staff knows it as well. The Twins haven't been shy about making changes this season, a refreshing change over the last three seasons, though some of that in the past was due to limited options. I don't know if that means this week, or July, but mark my words, a change is coming. Don't know if that means May, Meyer, Darnell or Johnson as a fill-in until one of the other three youngsters get a little more time. Bullpen-wise, Tonkin and Achter are too good to ignore. And however it works out, either or both of these kids are going to get a shot before this season is done. Hopefully soon. But the calls to get rid of Duensing are mind-boggling to me. You want to dump a solid LH reliever with some SO ability who has proven to be a solid LH reliever when just given a consistent role? I don't get it. A couple bad outings can inflate a relievers numbers, and the perception of him, but there are a lot of teams that would love to have a solid LH reliever of his quality in their pen.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Love it!
    Ecstatic!

Doesn't matter, but when I heard there was a "mystery" team dealing on Morales, I just KNEW it was us. All off season and even during ST there were 3 issues I argued the FO to make a move on. One was another CF/OF, which they blew. (Discussed to death here in blogs) and a solid spare part INF who could hopefully hit LH. They were lucky to get Fuld, though it doesn't excuse boneheadedness. We did make a move for Nunez which was solid, got smart to give Escobar his shot, and have gotten a huge surprise and lift from Santana so far. And while I didn't want to give up the second round pick, moot point now, I argued strongly for Morales. Thought it was a perfect fit for the Twins then, just as perfect a fit now.

He is only 30, not some aging veteran player on last legs. He provides an OK backup to Mauer. The guy hits from both sides with power and is a proven player. He's also unlikely to break the bank, and the Twins can more than afford him. If he has a solid season, and likes the team and the park, they could be in the driver's seat to re-sign him. Especially with Willingham gone after this season. Productive and only 30, he can very much be a part of this rebuild.

Before the arguement even begins, he doesn't block Vargas. No matter how good Vargas might end up being, he's still in AA, for now. And until you prove you can hit at the ML level, you haven't proven that you can hit at the ML level.

I don't know where Morales hits. When he's ready, it might take a little juggling to find the ideal lineup. There are arguements for 3,4,5. And there are arguements for Mauer to stay at 2 for now, or slide down. If Mauer can get over whatever hump he's dealing with and can be Mauer again, I still argue the 3 spot is his ideal location for Avg/OB/contact/decent power and the ability to drive runners in as well as start and continue innings. The old "best pure hitter on the team hits third" arguement. But the whole lineup just got deeper and better.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    Twins sign Morales. The Red Wings have some really good AAA pitchers. Help is on the way. Twins draft Gordon as the future SS. Burdi can throw serious heat at 103 mph. Gibson just shut out Houston and Santana went 4 for 5. All I can say is..."The years at the spring; And day's at the morn; ... The lark's on his wing; The snail's on the thorn; God's in His heaven; All's right with the world!"
    Does signing this Cuban veteran possibly open up lines of communication for quickly signing either of the major league ready Cuban defector OFers, Rusney Castillo or Daniel Carbonell?
    Last edited by jokin; 06-07-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Seems like a good move.

If the Twins aren't in contention at the deadline they can try and trade pieces like Willingham and Morales. Or, if Morales plays well but the Twins aren't doing well, I believe they could offer him arbitration and get a pick next year? Not sure how that works under the new rules.

I do suspect that the FO thinks that the Tigers are catchable (4.5 back) or the second wild card is (1.5). As the season goes on, the rotation will probably add May and Meyer. I think Correia has one bad start left and then he's moved to the pen or released.
    I think if that bad start is his next start you are right but what if he has two quality starts before his next bad one? I am not going to wish he tanks it his next start but that may clear things up if he does. When thinking of Santana keep Valencia in the back of your mind. .276 minor league hitters do not become .378 or even .333 hitters, at least not immediately. Its a nice run but don't write his name in ink for longer range plans. Rosario is probably stop gap solution to Buxton but don't rule Hicks out. His slash lines for the last month are plenty good with shorter term even better. He hasn't gone fishing for the breaking balls against righties like many thought he would. His slash lines against lefties are very good and he still plays good defense. Santana will regress and Hicks may very well get better quickly only hitting from one side. If Morales just gets the at bats Kubel and Parmalee were getting this may be a great move. May in the rotation and signs of life from Mauer would make this team look much more like a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    YES! We have our center fielder!
    Milk... out... nose...... send help....!

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    Dude, do you even watch the games? Santana's got 4 rbi today..if he was the DH for every game, he'd be on pace for 648 rbi.
    ..... but it was 5 RBI (4 hits). What does that do to the math? And do you consider he only had 1 RBI playing DH yesterday....... so now that is an average of 3 per game for the 2 total games played at DH........ or do you still just use the 5? It gets fuzzy projecting the future.
    Last edited by h2oface; 06-07-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry I'm going to climb on my soapbox here.

I am not climbing on anyone's back or calling anyone out. But I'm really confused about some comments I've read recently.

In my opinion, the Twins blew a couple things this offseason. They also went on an unprecedented spending spree to attempt to rectify three disappointing, injury filled and bad years. Hughes was a great signing, Nolasco can still be considered a good signing, though he needs to step up more, and probably will. Suzuki turned out to be a great signing. Pelfrey? Well, at least they had a solid idea.

The organization gets blasted for not spending money, but made the mentioned moves, and have now signed Morales to boost the lineup. This is an attempt to actually win. And this is somehow a bad move? I don't get it.

There is a call to promote young players, even if they struggle. But the Twins have Pinto and Santana performing well, and Gibson in the lineup and rotation and want to demote a couple of them. Right or wrong, they're trying to work with Hicks, but should demote him. Every situation is different I know. But again, I'm confused.

Correia needs to be replaced. And I believe he will sooner than later. I don't know who or when, but we're moving forward.

How is signing a still relatively young veteran player to improve our chances of winning a bad move?

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My thought exactly. You can't sign Morales for 2014 and in the same breath claim that Santana needs to play center to gain experience, or that if Willingham stays hot you can move him and be sellers at the deadline, or that... and so on.

I'm not opposed to this signing I just don't know if it makes as much sense now, as it did before.
    But the line on Santana over Hicks in CF is Santana is a better hitter.

My first reaction was "Wait, how is Pinto going to get in the lineup?" Then I remembered that Gardy is the manager so Pinto isn't going to get in the lineup at DH.

If there is a silver lining regarding the impact on catcher here, it's officially the death nell of a third catcher.

i think this was a great move to solidify the lineup.

Now tine to turn attention to pitching.

Hopefully he can still play some decent 1b and give Mauer a break. Maybe Mauer needs every 5th game off to get back to the way he was hitting when he was catching.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast