Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Report: Twins Agree to Sign Kendrys Morales

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Morales also hit 3rd or 4th just about every game he played for the Mariners last year. With Santana leading off and Dozier hitting second, could this bump Mauer back down the lineup?

1 - Santana
    2 - Dozier
    3 - Morales
    4 - Willingham
    5 - Arcia
    6 - Plouffe
    7 - Mauer
    8 - Suzuki/Pinto
    9 - Escobar

That is a damn sexy lineup.

Here's my stab at the line-up with Morales (and Fuld) included:

against Righthanders
    1. Santana - SS
    2. Dozier -2B
    3. Mauer - 1B (I don't think Morales runs good enough to hit here)
    4. Willingham - LF
    5. Arica - RF or Morales -DH
    6. Plouffe -- 3B
    7. Morales-DH or Arcia -RF (Mauer could theoretically be here but Arcia would have to bat 3rd)
    8, Suzuki/Pinto - c
    9, Fuld - CF

We release Kubel and release/clear waivers for Parmelee which leavs a bench of Escobar, Pinto, Nunez, and one of these 3 tighhanded hitting outfielders from the minors (Ortiz, Wilkins, Rodriguez). Pinto catches some against righties and DH's against lefthanders. Leaves Escobar and Nunez as late inning defense replacements at SS.

Pitching: need to replace Correia with May, eventuall get Meyer up. Relief pitching we need to replace Burton with Tonkin or Presley and we are set.

When was the last time the Twins acquired a player as good as Morales during the season? Shannon Stewart?
    Seven-day account suspension for anyone that answers, Matt Capps.

3. These 2 users like Dance with Disco Dan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-07-2014), Kwak (06-07-2014)

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well My jaw is one the floor. I figured Rangers or Yankees for sure.

Always room on the team for an upgrade...

I'm guessing either Kubel or Parm would have to leave the 25 man barring a DL stint for someone else.

When or if Fuld returns... It's gotta be Hicks going down and I think Santana will start in CF until he cools down.

I don't think the Batting order will change much... I think Morales will slot in at 6 to start and push Plouffe and those after down. If Morales hits like he has he'll move up to 4 would be my guess. Plouffe hitting 7 and Pinto should get a few more starts behind the plate hitting 8th and the Twins have quite the Power filled lineup.

Wow... It feels good.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 06-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

There's a lot to digest with this signing. I'm on board with culling underperforming veterans who will not be part of the future: Kubel, Burton, Correa, Deunsing. (Even Willingham if the Twins can get something for him.) But as the Twins make a transformation, that doesn't necessariy mean that they need to tank seasons while doing so. The future includes Buxton and Sano obviously. But players in their late 20's and early 30's can be part of a future. Hughes, Plouffe, Dozier, Suziki, Nolasco, and now Morales (should they try to extend his contract) - these guys coulld possibly have many productive years ahead of them.

6. This user likes Othercousin 324's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Monkeypaws (06-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Seems like a good move.

If the Twins aren't in contention at the deadline they can try and trade pieces like Willingham and Morales. Or, if Morales plays well but the Twins aren't doing well, I believe they could offer him arbitration and get a pick next year? Not sure how that works under the new rules.

I do suspect that the FO thinks that the Tigers are catchable (4.5 back) or the second wild card is (1.5). As the season goes on, the rotation will probably add May and Meyer. I think Correia has one bad start left and then he's moved to the pen or released.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got a fever, and the only perscription is LESS KUBEL, i mean MORE KENDRYS!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    My thought exactly. You can't sign Morales for 2014 and in the same breath claim that Santana needs to play center to gain experience, or that if Willingham stays hot you can move him and be sellers at the deadline, or that... and so on.

I'm not opposed to this signing I just don't know if it makes as much sense now, as it did before.
    Lots of options and alternative scenarios:

1) Hicks/Fuld share a platoon in CF, while Santana goes to SS, if Escobar stays hot at the plate, he's in the lineup every day in 4 different spots...that is one possibility.

2) Santana can stay in CF for the time being, I don't understand how Morales being signed makes a difference on this.

3) Rosario plays well enough in the next few weeks to take CF full-time with Santana playing LF full-time.*

* I don't understand why you think it would be impossible to move Willingham even sooner than the deadline to open up LF for Santana.

As far as Correia goes, I would think that the move to sign Morales means that the club is going for it, and that Correia is replaced in the rotation co-incident with the passing of the Super 2 date.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Well My jaw is one the floor. I figured Rangers or Yankees for sure.

Always room on the team for an upgrade...

I'm guessing either Kubel or Parm would have to leave the 25 man barring a DL stint for someone else.

When or if Fuld returns... It's gotta be Hicks going down and I think Santana will start in CF until he cools down.

I don't think the Batting order will change much... I think Morales will slot in at 6 to start and push Plouffe and those after down. If Morales hits like he has he'll move up to 4 would be my guess. Plouffe hitting 7 and Pinto should get a few more starts behind the plate hitting 8th and the Twins have quite the Power filled lineup.

Wow... It feels good.
    Barring something unexpected, status quo for Santana in CF with Hicks going down is the most likely scenario. But I think Pinto's throw yesterday and recent mini-slump, together with this Morales signing make it more likely that the Twins think it best if Pinto is swapped out for Hermann- asssuming that Morales hits the ground running.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-07-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Seems like a good move.]I do suspect that the FO thinks that the Tigers are catchable (4.5 back) or the second wild card is (1.5). As the season goes on, the rotation will probably add May and Meyer. I think Correia has one bad start left and then he's moved to the pen or released.
    I think you're right. Or at least I hope you're right. A change is coming there.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Love love love this, on so many levels!
    Till I Collapse

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I honestly can't figure out why any Twins fan would not like this deal. The only downside I can see is fewer at-bats for Pinto, who was having trouble getting at-bats anyway and has an 18:3 K:BB ratio since May 1.

14. These 3 users like John Bonnes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (06-07-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-07-2014), Tibs (06-07-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Another thought, perhaps it's already been broached here. This is nice insurance in case there is something physically wrong with Mauer that might involve a DL shut down. Morales did play 31 games at 1st base last year (admittedly, not great in the field), and could share time there with Parmelee/? during Mauer's absence.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I honestly can't figure out why any Twins fan would not like this deal. The only downside I can see is fewer at-bats for Pinto, who was having trouble getting at-bats anyway and has an 18:3 K:BB ratio since May 1.
    It has to be hard for a rookie, especially at such a demanding position, to stay sharp at the plate with irregular ABs. (The broadcasters once again alluded to how much time Pinto is spending with video, footwork and opponent background research). If he isn't going to play even 30% of the time, his career development would be best served in Rochester.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It has to be hard for a rookie, especially at such a demanding position, to stay sharp at the plate with irregular ABs. (The broadcasters once again alluded to how much time Pinto is spending with video, footwork and opponent background research). If he isn't going to play even 30% of the time, his career development would be best served in Rochester.
    He's playing more than 50% of the time. He's started 5 of the last 10 games (4 at catcher, one DH) even with some NL games in there. Suzuki, right now, is hitting better and is better defensively. Keep Pinto up, starting 2/5 games and he'll eventually take over.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries

Morales, now what moves are coming

The shocking Morales signing (take that you people who still call the Pohlads cheapskates), means that changes are coming. I would guess that Kubel is gone, since Parms can play 1b. This move signifies the weakness of the AL Central that the Twins think they can make a run. The lineup looks formidable (in Twins' terms), and Hughes, Gibson and Even Nolasco of late have been good. So I expect the next domino to fall to be Correia or Burton. Meyer, May, Tonkin and Achter as possible replacements. I don't know it will be enough, but meaningful baseball late into the summer will be a welcome sight after the last three years

19. This user likes TKGuy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    This will all play large in this kid's future. He has a lot to learn, and before we start printing playoff tickets with the Morales signing, I'm fine with this learning being at the MLB level. If he gets 300 ML ABs, and improves his defense, this season will be a win for him going forward.

21. These 2 users like Monkeypaws's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (06-07-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Hmm. I think this "negotiation" was done awhile ago, but announcement had to be delayed until after the Rule 4 draft was concluded to eliminate the compensation for signing Morales.
    It certainly wasn't clear that Willingham and Arcia would return firing on all cylinders. I believe Morales was signed to cater to the probability that one (or both) would revert to last season's form. I also think that Morales was signed so the ASG announcers would not be commenting about how the Twins fell from 2010 to perennial losers (a last place team).

I don't think Willingham, Morales, or Suzuki will be traded this year. I think the Twins will re-sign Suzuki and either/or Willingham and Morales for next year. Many posters talk of defense--but those 3-run HRs more than make up for that.

Don't buy playoff tickets yet! There will be some star players made available in six weeks--and they won't be coming here.

23. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brandon (06-08-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as Correia goes, I would think that the move to sign Morales means that the club is going for it, and that Correia is replaced in the rotation co-incident with the passing of the Super 2 date.
    If the Twins are going for it, why wait for the Super 2 date?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    He's playing more than 50% of the time. He's started 5 of the last 10 games (4 at catcher, one DH) even with some NL games in there. Suzuki, right now, is hitting better and is better defensively. Keep Pinto up, starting 2/5 games and he'll eventually take over.
    Pinto started 19 of 24 games in April- 79% of games played. 7 of 24 @ Catcher- 29%.

Since then, he's started 17 of 36- 47%. 10 of 36 games @ Catcher- 27%

Trends aren't going the way we thought they would back in ST. And it's showing at the plate:

Last 11 game slash line + stats: .107/.133/.250/.383 K%- 27% BB%- 2.8%

Pinto's numbers before the last 11 games:

Slash line from 3/31 to 5/21 + stats: .245/.354/.443/.802 K%- 21.9% BB%- 15%

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    They have a few days to think about this, because Morales will go to the minors for a few games to get game-ready. But if things stay the way they are now, I see the following moves:

Immediately: Fuld up and Hicks down to work on his RH swing.

In a week: Release Kubel to make room for Morales.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast