Thread: Long toss article

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts

Long toss article

Interesting article on SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=mlb_t11_a0

Anyone know how the Twins view long tossing?

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Interesting article. Unfortunately, the article doesn't say which teams actually use the long toss. I also have no idea about how the Twins organization feels about it though.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins don't do long-toss then they need to consider it. Thier current program doesn't seem to be doing a good job preventing injuries.

Before reading this I had no clue that long-toss was viewed negetively by so many instructors at the ML level. I have always felt the practice was a crucial part of developing and strengthening the arm.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's a great read. I guess I didn't even know that long toss was so despised. I definitely did that as a little leaguer.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand that correlation does not prove causation, but isn't the boom in needed TJ surgeries coinciding almost exactly with the abandonment of long-tossing?

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I understand that correlation does not prove causation, but isn't the boom in needed TJ surgeries coinciding almost exactly with the abandonment of long-tossing?
    That was my thought as well. It would be an interesting study.

It just seems to me that baseball people tend to make training decisions based on things that might have some sort of logic behind them, but no hard data (such as long toss = more pitching injuries, have a pitch count to make sure your starters stay fresh). And for the record, I'm doing the same thing by making this claim, because I don't have any real data to back it up.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    there was another article about trevor Bauer last August in IS. Here is the link http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9170/index.htm

Essentially the same message. He has his a routine with Science behind it as to what is needed and it has been a challenge to get people in baseball to buy into what he is doing.

If you have the time, in this same issue, they had a really entertaining article about Dustin Pedroia. I didn't really like the guy until I read the article. Interesting character.