Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Day 2 Draft Picks (Rounds 3-10)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxtano Meywart View Post
    Well seeing as his 10th round pick was already taken by Houston in the 6th, I can see why many would be bummed if it turned out to be the pick!
    Not to be deterred, the Twins go in the 10th round with Randy LeBlanc, you won't believe how he projects....

Because LeBlanc has yet to establish an average second pitch, many scouts think he'll profile best as a reliever -- a role in which he could generate additional fastball velocity
    Another guy with his TJ already out of the way, an "unexploited market inefficiency"?

Curtis is pitching on ESPN2 right now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Not to be deterred, the Twins go in the 10th round with Randy LeBlanc, you won't believe how he projects....

Another guy with his TJ already out of the way, an "unexploited market inefficiency"?
    Well at least you can't say they will lack depth in low-A middle relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by boney View Post
    Curtis is pitching on ESPN2 right now.
    How's he look?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8 out of the first 10 are pitchers and we will likely have the deepest bullpen of all time. I thought we had a lot of depth now. Sheeesh.

The thing I like so far is we will likely have 2-4 players in the majors from this group of players. The 2012 draft is similar in that Buxton and Barrios are likely to make it and there are 6 or 7 other draft picks that are still projectable.

A successful draft is when 2 players from that draft make it to the majors.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    8 out of the first 10 are pitchers and we will likely have the deepest bullpen of all time. I thought we had a lot of depth now. Sheeesh.

The thing I like so far is we will likely have 2-4 players in the majors from this group of players. The 2012 draft is similar in that Buxton and Barrios are likely to make it and there are 6 or 7 other draft picks that are still projectable.

A successful draft is when 2 players from that draft make it to the majors.
    That's not a successful draft. If two guys get a quick call up and do nothing, that's not success. If one player is a superstar, that is a success. It's all about production. The Twins have drafted poorly for much of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by panolo View Post
    How's he look?

I'm certainly no expert, but he looked okay. Fastball (looked straight) 91-95 and a medium to big slow breaker (controlled it well) 75-79. I don't believe he got any Ks but the home fans thought he was getting squeezed, shocking I'm sure .
    Last edited by boney; 06-06-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    What are they thinking? I am baffled by this draft. A bunch of relief pitchers. Mind boggling.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Sounds like Gordon will go to Elizabethton.

Tony Cingrani was a college reliever picked in the 3rd round of the 2011 draft out of Rice. His resume was pretty unimpressive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Cingrani) until a breakout season as the team's closer his senior year. He signed quick and transitioned to a starter right away in 2011. Cincy watched his workload closely and he averaged less than 4 innings/start in 13 dominating rookie league starts that year. In 2012 he started the year all the way up in A+ ball did so well he progressed to AA and then earned a late season taste of the big show. In 2013 he started in AAA and earned his full time ticket to the bigs after just 6 starts. For all the haters out there this is proof it can happen.

11. These 2 users like twinsin17's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (06-06-2014), Willihammer (06-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    What are they thinking? I am baffled by this draft. A bunch of relief pitchers. Mind boggling.
    Well, they also got the best position player in the draft. That's pretty good.

I understand your frustration. I liked a few of the picks - Burdi I actually hoped would be there at 46. And I'm ok with Cederoth, Curtiss (solid pick) and Steele. I figure in a few years the Twins will have a rotation built around Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, Nolasco, May and a few others. That has the makings of a solid rotation. And it looks like they are trying to build a Royals like bullpen behind that. I'm ok with that.

Some of the relievers will be given a shot to start. That seems to frustrate people for some reason. Let them try it. I'm not sure if it'll work but I understand the logic of it. Frankly, I miss the old Radcliff drafts where he targeted "soft tossing control" pitchers. Johnson is going after flamethrowers. That's where we are.

Incidentally, I don't think this draft is that rare. Just last year, Cleveland drafted Frazier first and then didn't draft a position player until the 10th round. Maybe the Twins take a few risky sign picks tomorrow. In any event, the Twins didn't mess up the most important pick and got Gordon.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Well, they also got the best position player in the draft. That's pretty good.

I understand your frustration. I liked a few of the picks - Burdi I actually hoped would be there at 46. And I'm ok with Cederoth, Curtiss (solid pick) and Steele. I figure in a few years the Twins will have a rotation built around Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, Nolasco, May and a few others. That has the makings of a solid rotation. And it looks like they are trying to build a Royals like bullpen behind that. I'm ok with that.

Some of the relievers will be given a shot to start. That seems to frustrate people for some reason. Let them try it. I'm not sure if it'll work but I understand the logic of it. Frankly, I miss the old Radcliff drafts where he targeted "soft tossing control" pitchers. Johnson is going after flamethrowers. That's where we are.

Incidentally, I don't think this draft is that rare. Just last year, Cleveland drafted Frazier first and then didn't draft a position player until the 10th round. Maybe the Twins take a few risky sign picks tomorrow. In any event, the Twins didn't mess up the most important pick and got Gordon.
    Cedereth last year 51 IP, 2.28 ERA, 55 K, .205 BA against. 4.9 BB/9
    Cedereth career 213 IP, 3.76 ERA, 226 K, 5.24 BB / 9 (terrible 6.42 as a freshman)

Beede over three years 271 IP, 3.22 ERA, 277 K, 4.6 BB / 9

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't hate this draft.

Just about every guy picked 3-10, taken individually, seem to be a decent pick. Clay might have been a round early, though it appears there are projectables there the Twins like. And Cutura is rather off the charts. Literally it seems. But there must be something there the Twins picked up on. He's a real mystery and I'd love to know more about him and the thoughts behind his pick in the 7th.

Again, I don't hate this draft. But it does confuse me. Love drafting live arms with real velocity to work with. And quality relievers are absolutely essential, just like talent and depth at any position. No problem there, no arguement, no hate. But this many relievers in 9 total picks? Just find it hard to fathom there wasn't a single quality SP prospect or position player available in any of these spots worth picking.

I like Burdi a lot, and it's obvious the Twins do as well. They certainly have a long history scouting him. I also like Cederoth as a hard velocity guy late in the pen. If he and Burdi can get hold of even a semi-decent off speed offering to go along with their speed and sliders, for a look-see pitch if nothing else, they might form a great potential late game duo. Even if Clay was a bit early, I also don't hate this pick. A LHRP in the 90's, with a couple projectable pitches, could also prove really valuable.

The Twins and their scouts obviously know infinitely more than I possibly could. Just really wonder what it is they DO see and project.

15. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Monkeypaws (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    People can quote whatever stat or point to whatever out liner of a player to make themselves feel better about this draft but that doesn't change this was a weak draft. They could have magically found the formula to convert college RPers into successful big leaguers but I doubt it. No matter how much you "like" this draft the odds are stacked against us.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    And his options were..........?????
    What do you mean? He put Kubel in the OF and Santana at DH. Kubel needed the exercise I guess? Why else would Kubel possibly be in the field and Santana DH? There were multiple ways to avoid this.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I'm weary of this draft, but if the Twins give Cederoth, Steele and Curtiss a chance to start, I'll probably be pleased. And I think they will. Maybe Reed too. I wouldn't be surprised if Sam also gets a shot, though he doesn't seem to be all that electric.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5 or 6 good picks here. Still a bit weird, though.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    That's not a successful draft. If two guys get a quick call up and do nothing, that's not success. If one player is a superstar, that is a success. It's all about production. The Twins have drafted poorly for much of the last decade.
    I was amused by Phil Miller's column yesterday, where he mentioned what a hero Swarzak was for pitching 2.1 innings against the Brewers on Thursday, in the face of an allegedly fatigued bullpen and at "only" 12 pitchers on the roster, "already short one arm". A hero for doing his job?, and a fairly simple assignment, at that.

I'm thinking the "dream scenario" for Gardy is like the one earlier this year when we actually went to FOURTEEN pitchers for a game or two....which maybe explains some of today's weirdness. I don't know what Brandon was thinking, but the logic for the first 2 picks is defensible, while the overall "strategy" is most certainly not. Or are they planning on saving huge money from these 3-10 picks and going after some hard-to-sign guys with big dollar offers tomorrow?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    I echo all of the posters who are disappointed with the draft. When Burdi was selected in the 2nd round, I thought it the equivalent of drafting a kicker. I never guessed that they would draft the rest of the "special team". Ryan's quote: "...lots of LHP pitching", when he was asked about the draft. Apparently I can add "guys who can hit" to his statement.

The guys they drafted have really good stuff and size for the most part. If a couple can become starters, we may have something special.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast