Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Day 2 Draft Picks (Rounds 3-10)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Day 2 Draft Picks (Rounds 3-10)

More pitching!

Powerful right hander. Get it, Twins!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    I see the bullpen in the Buxton Sano years ahead, and it looks hard throwing. More good value. Liking this draft a lot so far.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a heads-up, I'll continue to modify as I get more information. For example, my outlook on Cederoth's future has changed based on what I've been told.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Just a heads-up, I'll continue to modify as I get more information. For example, my outlook on Cederoth's future has changed based on what I've been told.
    Oooh, do tell us more!

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Oooh, do tell us more!
    Just that being a starter is not an impossibility.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    The Clay pick surprises me. In some ways it seems it could be to save money but he's a sophomore so he has a lot of leverage if he wants to go back to school.

I'm ok with the Cederoth pick even with Burdi.

Wow! Not liking that 4th round pick one bit. Was a 2 sport athlete who didn't focus on baseball until college and really raw because of it, doesn't have overpowering stuff and is most likely a reliever who has 2 years of eligibility left and may not even sign to begin with. Although, being taken at least 50 spots sooner than he should have may help... *rolls eyes* there's the typical Twins pick we're all used to!

Clay seems like a reach, based on the rankings he's a round early. Twins saving dollars or just like the guy, or think someone behind them likes him?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric R Pleiss View Post
    Clay seems like a reach, based on the rankings he's a round early. Twins saving dollars or just like the guy, or think someone behind them likes him?
    I'm working on this one....

Ryan said they needed LHP.

Hopefully their GA scout does better here than with Bard.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB.com has more info on the players in their draft section.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...#ft=round&fv=3

Blog Entries
    on sam clay this is what MLB.com had to say

6'3" 208lbs DOB: 06/21/93Clay was a two-sport star in high school and didn’t pitch much for the Yellow Jackets as a freshman, as he began concentrating on baseball for the first time. He took on a larger role in the bullpen this spring, becoming one of their most important relievers. Clay’s fastball typically sits in the low-90s and touches a bit higher. He complements it with a hard slider that flashes above-average potential. Primarily, Clay is a two-pitch pitcher, but he also throws a curveball and changeup at times. Though he has enough stuff to start, he is still somewhat raw and will need to improve his control. Clay is a Draft-eligible sophomore and would have two more years of eligibility if he chooses to return to school.

What are the criteria to become draft eligible sophomore? Redshirt year?

Another reliever? Hope the Twins know what they are doing but seems very odd for the team to invest 4 of its top five picks on likely relievers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Another reliever from college in round 5

Reed, Jake Oregon (OR) RHP R/R JR 6'2" 190lbs DOB: 09/29/92 | Scouting videoA starter during his first two years at Oregon, Reed moved into the closer role in 2014 and really took off. The right-handed reliever has a ton of arm strength and can crank it up into the mid 90s with plus life, coming in on the hands of right-handed hitters. His slider is a hard slurve that is a strikeout pitch when Reed commands it well. He has a below-average changeup, but in short relief, he doesn't really need it. Considering he's new at the gig, Reed has adjusted to it seamlessly, showing the kind of aggressive mindset you like from closers. All things point to him being a quick-to-the-big-leagues-type reliever.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like we have enough closers now. Can we draft some LH starting pitchers please?

Blog Entries
    I know this was talked about in another thread but Demuth a top 10 Twins pick from a year or two ago that didn't sign was drafted in the 5th round by the Mariners

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Demuth drafted in 2013 by the Twins in the 8th round. So looks like he improved his draft stock

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast