Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 2

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Carson Sands maybe?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't there a Soul Calibur character named Cederoth? Dude just sounds like a closer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Dammit, missed it by one!

Senior Member All-Star
    Clay? Another reliever? Wow.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    OK, this is getting old.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    6'3" 208lbs DOB: 06/21/93Clay was a two-sport star in high school and didn’t pitch much for the Yellow Jackets as a freshman, as he began concentrating on baseball for the first time. He took on a larger role in the bullpen this spring, becoming one of their most important relievers. Clay’s fastball typically sits in the low-90s and touches a bit higher. He complements it with a hard slider that flashes above-average potential. Primarily, Clay is a two-pitch pitcher, but he also throws a curveball and changeup at times. Though he has enough stuff to start, he is still somewhat raw and will need to improve his control. Clay is a Draft-eligible sophomore and would have two more years of eligibility if he chooses to return to school.
    Via MLB

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Well, they needed a left-hander in that 2017 bullpen, no?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Callis and Mayo both pegged him as a RPer. BA has him #144.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I guess the Twins aren't happy with there bullpen depth in the minors and need all the bullpen arms they can get this draft. I like the flame throwers but it would be nice to have picked one starter in the top 4 picks. In a pitcher heavy draft this is what we get? Color me disappointed so far.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Law touches on an important and unfortunate fact about drafted RP'ers. They look like high floor guys that can make it to the majors quickly but they have an awful success rate. I still remember the year that 4 or so of them were drafted in the first rd. Perry, Schlereth, Fields and Gutierrez. None of them have had much success in the majors. And this is a story that typical repeats itself year after year. Some guys like Storen are successful but they are in the minority of a so-called high floor group.

I actually loved it in 2012. Mostly because the Twins seemed willing to give most of those guys a chance to start and they didn't have the arm abuse that most college starters had. Hasn't worked out to well so far though.
    Sounds good in theory and I agreed initially in 2012. And then I watched a few videos of the drafted RP'ers. There was a reason that a couple of them were RP'ers. I have no idea how they survived pitching the limited number of innings in the bullpen in college. Just awful mechanics. I would not call myself an expert but it looked painful just to throw the baseball for them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Sounds good in theory and I agreed initially in 2012. And then I watched a few videos of the drafted RP'ers. There was a reason that a couple of them were RP'ers. I have no idea how they survived pitching the limited number of innings in the bullpen in college. Just awful mechanics. I would not call myself an expert but it looked painful just to throw the baseball for them.
    That makes me wonder, are Chargois and Bard still in witness protection? Or will we get to see them finally?

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Will Carroll @injuryexpert
    Burdi and Cederoth? Well, the Twins bullpen is going to look filthy here in about a year. That's some serious power.
    Till I Collapse

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
    Another bullpen arm in Reed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    That makes me wonder, are Chargois and Bard still in witness protection? Or will we get to see them finally?
    Took the thought right out of my brain...both of those guys were hard throwers (94-97 MPH), so not quite Buri/Cederoth territory....but we haven't seen either. I think Chargois had TJ correct? Bard came back late last year to FTM...but I haven't seen him yet this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Thinking about turning this off.

So we take Jake Reed when two HOF'ers in Carter and Moss were still available?

Senior Member All-Star
    This draft was dedicated to mike wants wins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What?!

Another reliever?!?!

Perhaps the FO thinks we're contending already? Or thinking we will next year or 2016? I mean, this seems like a mentality a perennial division winner has. Must think Buxton is going to go 12 WAR next year and Sano about 8 WAR.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Thinking about turning this off.

So we take Jake Reed when two HOF'ers in Carter and Moss were still available?
    I had the same thought but will likely see it through. Hard to be excited about this but they must have a plan. Time will tell.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Player era app-gs ip h er bb so hr ab b/avg
    Reed, Jake 1.95 31-0 37.0 22 8 15 34 1 121 .182

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    Twins trying to set a record for how many consecutive college relievers they can draft????

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast