Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Select Nick Burdi in the 2nd round

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    I was looking up the upcoming Vanderbilt vs. Louisville college world series match-up and found this nice little video. "Louisville's Nick Burdi 'pissed' about draft." Apparently he didn't think too highly of dropping to the second round. He says the Twins are getting one of the most determined players in the draft. The young man is ready to play.

There's a chance to seem him this Saturday at 8pm on ESPN2's coverage of the CWS. You should also get a chance to see Tyler Beede (#14 Giants) and Kyle Funkhouser (13-2, 1.73 ERA, 2015 draft eligible), both of which are very good pitchers. Go Vandy! I still hope to see Burdi pitch, just not in a save situation.
    Did anyone else see him close out the Super Regional on Saturday night? He struck out the last 2 guys on pitches that seemed to explode into the ground, like he was throwing a split-finger FB, leaving the batters swinging at dirt. I don't know if that's what the pitch was, but for sure, it was unhittable at any level. The night before, he finished off the last guy on 2 consecutive nasty sliders.

2. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kab21 (06-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 375 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTwinsFan View Post
    Anyone think Burdi is in Twins pen in 2014?
    No. Not because he couldn't, but because there are 6 bullpen arms in Rochester all worthy of a call up and that doesn't even take into account the possibility that Correia, Deduno or Pelfrey may be forced into the pen when they lose their rotation spot.

Even if he's better, the Twins often promote/infill with the "next guy in line" philosophy.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-10-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sign him. Put him in the Midwest League. Give Nick Burdi the opportunity to dominate.

That is more aggressive than the Braves were with Kimbrel. He pitched three levels his first year but started in the Appalachian League.

Paco Rodriguez made it to the majors in the year he was drafted. He started in the Midwest League.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd put him in AA right away. There's no need for him to prove domination against lower-level minor league competition. He's done that already in college. Starting in Fort Myers would be okay too, as long as he moved up quickly if domination is displayed.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 375 Times in 232 Posts
    I would probably need a change of pants if I saw that Burdi was put in AA. The Twins haven't even had a draftee start the year in Low A the last two years. Not even the college arms with polish or major conference experience.

7. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (06-10-2014)

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    I know, just saying what I'd do! But Burdi is also a different case. He's not a starter and was universally touted as the most MLB-ready player of the draft, with a lot of those same people saying he'd be effective in an MLB bullpen right now. I think it's a disservice to him, and to the team, if he's not fast-tracked more than a normal guy.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Why are so many calling for him to try to learn a new pitch? Perk only has two pitches, and he is pretty good.... As for trying him as a starter, it would just delay him helping the big club. I love this pick.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDTwinsFan View Post
    Why are so many calling for him to try to learn a new pitch? Perk only has two pitches, and he is pretty good.... As for trying him as a starter, it would just delay him helping the big club. I love this pick.
    I noted that Burdi did give up a line drive single on Saturday on a straight-line FB that, IIRC, was clocked at 97 or 98. A more effective change-up will definitely help keep major league hitters a little more off-balance, when looking specifically for the big heater.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    No. Not because he couldn't, but because there are 6 bullpen arms in Rochester all worthy of a call up and that doesn't even take into account the possibility that Correia, Deduno or Pelfrey may be forced into the pen when they lose their rotation spot.

Even if he's better, the Twins often promote/infill with the "next guy in line" philosophy.

Yep don't forget they will want him try and learn a third pitch and be careful with his arm this year. They also won't want to waste his mlb service time figuring things out in the bigs that he can learn in the minors.

My guess is he shows up next year sometime after the super 2 deadline. If he is as good as advertised they will make room for him then.

Next year it is going to be hard to keep the young guys down on the farm. Most all the top prospects should show up for the Twins next year at some point during the season. 2015 should be fun.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    A more effective change-up will definitely help keep major league hitters a little more off-balance, when looking specifically for the big heater.
    Sure, but this is also a pitch that is not even close to necessary to have success as a RP/Closer, especially when big heat is paired with a wipeout slider coming in hot as well. Examples exist everywhere. As mentioned, Perkins doesn't throw anything but FB's and SL's.

A third pitch is most times a requirement for starters, but you can scrap it in relief if other pitches are of Burdi's caliber. It can be a "show-me" offering if he needs it, though.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Sure, but this is also a pitch that is not even close to necessary to have success as a RP/Closer, especially when big heat is paired with a wipeout slider coming in hot as well. Examples exist everywhere. As mentioned, Perkins doesn't throw anything but FB's and SL's.

A third pitch is most times a requirement for starters, but you can scrap it in relief if other pitches are of Burdi's caliber. It can be a "show-me" offering if he needs it, though.
    All true, but he gave up a hit in both appearancea last weekend, both on FBs. If college hitters can guess right and occasionally hit his best stuff, he may have to to upgrade that change in the bigs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    RP'ers only throw 15-20 pitches in a game. It's going to be difficult to develop a 3rd pitch and use it enough that it is remotely effective.

Using a single time that a college hitter squared up and hit a high 90's heater doesn't mean anything. Nobody should expect anyone to never give up A hit. Statistically speaking college hitters weren't squaring up anything against Burdi this season. He gave up 15 total hits in 32 IP. The ONE hit you saw was an aberration and not worth slowing down Burdi's rise to the majors.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did anyone else see him close out the Super Regional on Saturday night? He struck out the last 2 guys on pitches that seemed to explode into the ground, like he was throwing a split-finger FB, leaving the batters swinging at dirt. I don't know if that's what the pitch was, but for sure, it was unhittable at any level. The night before, he finished off the last guy on 2 consecutive nasty sliders.
    Yeah. That was his changeup that "needs work"
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    RP'ers only throw 15-20 pitches in a game. It's going to be difficult to develop a 3rd pitch and use it enough that it is remotely effective.

Using a single time that a college hitter squared up and hit a high 90's heater doesn't mean anything. Nobody should expect anyone to never give up A hit. Statistically speaking college hitters weren't squaring up anything against Burdi this season. He gave up 15 total hits in 32 IP. The ONE hit you saw was an aberration and not worth slowing down Burdi's rise to the majors.
    Actually, as I stated, I saw TWO hits, one in each appearance on consecutive nights. Just some food for thought.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    Actually, as I stated, I saw TWO hits, one in each appearance on consecutive nights. Just some food for thought.
    TWO is pretty statistically...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Burdi is signed and will start in Cedar Rapids.

The Midwest League is a good starting point and will not hold him back. It is up to Burdi. He can advance quickly. The most recent fast moving college relievers started at a similar level.

I look forward to reading the reports from the Knuckleballs blog and possibly Seth. Cedar Rapids folks better get out to the ballpark soon. He may not be there long.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure the Twins heard that Seth was planning on being in Cedar Rapids this weekend and that prompted them to get this deal done now so Burdi can debut this weekend.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    TWO is pretty statistically...

Who mentioned statistics?....I could only state an opinion based on two televised appearances, of course, he then got hit pretty hard in his 3rd appearance since being drafted, as well...so there's that...just sayin' is all, nothing about statistics, which remain impressive--->Let's give Burdi some time to develop and see how he translates to professional ball. (Hopefully it's a very short period of time, but for now, what we know for certain is that that FB looked somewhat hittable, for whatever reason(s) in 3 straight college appearances).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    ...so what you're saying is that Seth is to blame for the Twins not starting Burdi in Fort Myers! Way to go, Seth

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    ...so what you're saying is that Seth is to blame for the Twins not starting Burdi in Fort Myers! Way to go, Seth

I am happy to accept that blame!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast