Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This team is going to win 85 games.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's ridiculous, just a not real likely. I don't think the Tigers are as good as their record & are far from unbeatable. The Sox & Royals will continue to fall off as well. Still a few things need to happen.

Rotation must continue to improve, specifically Nolasco
    . May could & should replace Corriea but expecting a major improvement over him from a rookie is not real likely. I still like the idea of May replacing Corriea & if he struggles bring Meyer up to replace him or as a Sept call up to add juice to the pen if May shines.

The bullpen needs to go from good to elite. Pino replacing Guerrier would be a start, as well as replacing Burton with a fireballer like May/Meyer. I don't understand not letting these guys get their feet wet in the BP to gain some confidence ala Santana.

Willingham & Arcia continue providing power. They can't afford another Kubel/Collabello hot start & fade. As solid as Dozier & Plouffe have been, they need Arcia & Hammer providing power to lengthen the lineup.

OF defense must improve. It's nice to be able to roll with Pinto at DH but that also means Hammer is in LF with Arcia in RF. Hicks has the tools but has been very average defensively the roll of AAA infielders manning CF needs to stop. They have the depth to flip a c+ level prospect to find a competent league average CF to platoon with Fuld.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure a C+ prospect pulls a league average CF, even if you're just looking for a platoon split. It's going to take more to get a league average guy. maybe you can find replacement leverl for C+, but that's about it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous, just a not real likely. I don't think the Tigers are as good as their record & are far from unbeatable. The Sox & Royals will continue to fall off as well. Still a few things need to happen.

Rotation must continue to improve, specifically Nolasco
    . May could & should replace Corriea but expecting a major improvement over him from a rookie is not real likely. I still like the idea of May replacing Corriea & if he struggles bring Meyer up to replace him or as a Sept call up to add juice to the pen if May shines.

The bullpen needs to go from good to elite. Pino replacing Guerrier would be a start, as well as replacing Burton with a fireballer like May/Meyer. I don't understand not letting these guys get their feet wet in the BP to gain some confidence ala Santana.

Willingham & Arcia continue providing power. They can't afford another Kubel/Collabello hot start & fade. As solid as Dozier & Plouffe have been, they need Arcia & Hammer providing power to lengthen the lineup.

OF defense must improve. It's nice to be able to roll with Pinto at DH but that also means Hammer is in LF with Arcia in RF. Hicks has the tools but has been very average defensively the roll of AAA infielders manning CF needs to stop. They have the depth to flip a c+ level prospect to find a competent league average CF to platoon with Fuld.
    Meyer is on an innings limit, and assuming he stays healthy and continues in a starter role, would likely be shut down by the end of August

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    I'm not convinced they'll finish above .500 but they are far better than I could have ever imagined and not even for most of the reasons that seemed to be a toss up two months ago.

I started a thread prior to the season asking if this was the worst Twins team of the last four. I said yes, because I didn't see Nolasco and Hughes as much of an upgrade, which has been partly true. I said some of the bullpen guys were due for regression (also partly true), and that the offense was horrible (partly true).

Despite the struggles of Nolasco, Correia, Pelfrey, and Mauer and the injuries to Arcia and Willingham this team has defied all odds to be competitive to this point in the season. It's quite amazing, really.

5. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    85 wins is pushing it, but the schedule does get easier after the next couple of weeks. .500 isn't out of the question.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    So if a rookie cannot be counted on, isn't that Another argument for May and Meyer pitching ten or more games inMN this year? So we don't have to hear how they aren't ready next year? And if Meyer is on an innings limit, shouldn't he be getting experience here soon? I mean, assuming they are going to try next year?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Baring a huge run of injuries I think this team wins at least 85 games and sniffs the playoffs.

Why?
    May and/or Meyer coming up is going to make this a rather solid rotation. Hughes is pitching like an ACE, Nolasco has been getting unlucky and should pitch like a number two the rest of the way, DeDuno keeps doing what he does and has solidified himself in being a nice back end of the rotation type guy. Gibson is coming along nicely as well and is showing some flashes.

-Willingham is finally healthy and is hitting like a beast.

-Dozier is only getting better and better.

-Other than Escobar and Kurt there aren't really that many regression candidates on this squad.

-Mauer and Arcia are both going to come on very strong and will end their seasons with 120 OPS+
    Going to, more or less, agree with this. Before the season began I wrote that I saw a team that could seriously contend for .500 ball, give or take a couple games. And for a rebuilding team, just begining to see the fruition of top talent ready, or getting close, and a couple nice FA signings, that would be fun, interesting, and provide real optimism as well as a springboard for next season and beyond. I also stated that with a little luck, ie: a lack of injuries, a couple players returning to just norms and not career years, and a couple youngsters stepping forward, 84-85 wins was possible. And Im going to stand by that, along with Dave.

Rotation: Hughes has been outstanding. He's everything, and more, any of us could have wished for. Pick your reason for success, but don't forget his age, stuff, and past top prospect status. But even with some regression or a rough spot or two here or there, he'd still factor as a very good starter who is finding himself. Take away Nolasco's rough start, and factor his overall experience and ability, and I see no regression, but the opposite. Gibson has been one of the seasons best stories thus far. Some inconsistencies should be expected. But there is also the ability to build and grow and get better as well. My only concern is running out of gas around September. Deduno, I believe, has proved himself to be a better than average back end starter. That leaves one hole. And I agree that Correia might not have to be replaced for us to hit such a lofty goal if he just continues on his current improvement trend. But I still have doubts this will continue, and really, if he does, 85 wins or not, why hold on to him if you're a rebuilding club with future talent almost ready on the farm? I'd like to see him gone for building sake, and I believe it will happen at some point. Now, does that mean May or Meyer I don't know. Personally, I'm not falling asleep on Darnell being the most ready to come up and show something.

Bullpen: Talk to other teams how spoiled we've been to have the pens we've had over the years. And this pen is very close to continuing our string of good to great relief staffs. We need Swarzak to become more of his consistent self. I'm not as down on Burton as some. He had one poor stretch in 2013, but otherwise was solid to good. It's been rougher this year, but at this point, I think he's still a solid, experienced option and not cooked...yet. I just don't believe in the G-Man. Sooner or later, Tonkin and/or Achter need to come up/back up. Late bloomer or mystery man, Pino probably deserves a shot at some point. What he's doing just can't be ignored.

Offense: To me, this might be the biggest question mark, for consistency if nothing else. Despite his short-comings, a healthy Hammer has something left in the tank, and provides a veteran power/experienced RBI bat in the middle of the order. Something we'll have to probably address in FA or trade next year to replace. Along with an also now healthy Arcia, he of tremendous ability, we gain another dangerous bat. Dozier is a very good player, still growing and developing, who might reach stud potential. Plouffe is growing up before our eyes, and is having the best year of his short career. News flash: Pinto is good. And he's only going to get better. Suzuki, even with regression, is a solid, experienced bat having a great season, and seems to get what "clutch" means. I'm certain Escobar will show some regression, but he as flat out rescued a black hole in the lineup to something at least respectable. I don't know how much longer Santana can keep things up, but the kid has both surprised and impressed the hell out of me. He's not playing enough at SS, he's young and inexperienced, he's been thrown in to the deepest end of the pool, and yet, he doesn't play like it. He reminds me of Revere, not in direct comparison, but his speed, attitude, and the way he provides excitement. Please, nobody tell him he's not supposed to be playing this well.

And we still have Mauer. I know he has his detractors. Not going to argue with those here. But he is flat out one of the best pure hitters and OB guys in the league, and usually a doubles machine. Whether he hits 2, or my preference at 3, if we can get even a second half of the season with the normal Mauer, that's a huge lift.

These things, and this is a club who can reach that magical .500 mark, and even reach a little higher.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On a side note, as I hear it, if the Twins DO reach 85 wins, Ludacris will now bow out in favor of Prince coming out of semi-retirement to play Target Field.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    On pace for 78 wins, 76 if you pythag it. Sounds about right. That's about 10 fewer losses than 2013, and a team that's in ball games noticeably more often than the 90+loss clubs,

Moreover it's about what you'd expect from a team that brought in a pair of #3-ish starters to replace bad pitchers, but not much else, and has a balance that slightly favors players likely to improve as compared to those likely to decline or regress.

It's also encouraging in light of the loss of value from Mauer with the move to first and his struggles at the plate.
    indeed, also encouraging considering all of the extra outs given up with the miscast players

11. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    I just confirmed with the Twins PR people, yes, if the Twins win 85 games, Luda will be performing this winter at Target Field.
    What snowstorm are they going to be playing in?

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Ok. I'll bite.

So if they don't win 85, are you ready to join the Fire Gardy and Fire Terry bandwagon? Got to be their fault, according to your analysis, no?
    I'm already on that first bandwagon. I can't see getting on the second unless we don't see movement on the first

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Screw wildcard. Right now the Twins are closer to winning their division than the 2nd place Orioles, 2nd place Angels, and 2nd place Dodgers. They are as close to winning the ALC as the Cardinals are to winning the NLC. They are 100% in this thing.

15. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Yep. I'll start the thread.
    I'm in. The Twins win the 2014 World Series in 7 games, 3 of which are played in snow.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Screw wildcard. Right now the Twins are closer to winning their division than the 2nd place Orioles, 2nd place Angels, and 2nd place Dodgers. They are as close to winning the ALC as the Cardinals are to winning the NLC. They are 100% in this thing.
    I think you are right.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Somebody already mentioned it, but now is when the Sano injury really bites. There's not much to see in AAA to come up and help our hitting lineup (Deibinson Romero for Kubel?). If Sano was there you could see how we might get a charge by bringing him up, but as it is there's just not much there. The pitching situation looks much more promising, but we might not really need the help as much. There are guys who look like they might be better than Correia, but when you throw the major league adjustment onto their performance it's hardly a given.

19. This user likes ericchri's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Ok. I'll bite.

So if they don't win 85, are you ready to join the Fire Gardy and Fire Terry bandwagon? Got to be their fault, according to your analysis, no?
    To quote J.M.Barrie: "I do believe in fairies. I do! I do!"

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    I believe there was a possibility that Buxton would have been promoted from Double A this year, had he not hurt his wrist. I understand that would have been pushing him, but look at the problems we've had in CF this year. However according to Brad Steil, the Twins Director of Minor League Operations, Buxton cannot swing a bat yet.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Can't swing a bat yet, and Ryan assures us it isn't a lost year?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We could go on a tear and win 85+ games this year like we did a few years ago when the Twins made it all the way back to force game 163 after they went something like 73-32 to finish the season. It is possible....... I am optimistic and I have us at best case scenario 85-86 wins but more likely 78 - 82.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    There's probably an old one somewhere you could just dig up.
    Yeah, and don't mix that one up with the dozen threads predicting 100 losses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast