Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 1

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    To pass on guys like Imhof, Reid-Foley, etc., for a relief pitcher, makes zero sense. The Twins do not have enough starting pitching depth to take a reliever #46 overall. Unforced errors like this are why the Twins have gotten so little out of their drafts for much of the past decade.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    A lot of mocks had Burdi going #21 to Detroit. Nothing wrong with getting him here.

Burdi...hmmmm... His stuff is so good reports are he could pitch in the bigs right after signing. With Perkins locked up for cheap, is a dominant setup man worth an early 2nd rounder? Will we try and convert him to a SP?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball drafts are crapshoots, but guys who throw 98-100 are worth a risk

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I'm not much of a draftnic but I like this pick. Big arms are always nice to have.

Just let him stay in the pen and he'll be in the majors quickly.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    A lot of mocks had Burdi going #21 to Detroit. Nothing wrong with getting him here.
    What difference does that make? For what it's worth, Law had him ranked #56, but again- this pick makes no sense for the Twins. They are not a contender who logically could prefer short-term help over longer-term upside.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    Burdi...hmmmm... His stuff is so good reports are he could pitch in the bigs right after signing. With Perkins locked up for cheap, is a dominant setup man worth an early 2nd rounder? Will we try and convert him to a SP?
    I think he's just a good value guy there but I don't think the Twins see him as a starter. We drafted him 3 years ago. The Twins like his stuff. I think he'll end up being a set up guy by next season.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    The Twins do not have enough starting pitching depth to take a reliever #46 overall.
    In the lower minors, they actually do. So much so they can't find a rotation spot for Stephan Gonsalves and just now have made room for Thorpe and Romero.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    What difference does that make? For what it's worth, Law had him ranked #56, but again- this pick makes no sense for the Twins. They are not a contender who logically could prefer short-term help over longer-term upside.
    Why wouldn't he be part of the future teams? We have control of him for 6 years at a minimum. The team should be a contender in a few years with the Sano/Buxton foundation. Burdi profiles as an easy replacement for Perkins at the back end of the pen. A lot of the draft guru's had Burdi as the best relief arm in the draft. That's not a bad pick at #46.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I'm overreacting. I don't really hate it, but I still would have preferred Reid-Foley.

Hey, maybe we'll finally get rid of Matt Guerrier?

I found this article from last year, they were early on talking about him as a top 5 overall: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-carlos-rodon/

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    Burton's replacement .... the sooner the better.

13. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-05-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    If I thought they would fast track him as a reliever, I would be ok with the pick......
    Lighten up Francis....

Toronto, the Cubs, and maybe Houston were the only teams in a position to sign Reid-Foley and Toronto pulled the trigger, we just didn't have the $ for him. It was possibly the same thing with Harrison and I don't think the Brewers will be able to sign him unless the rest of their picks are college seniors

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    They just can't say no to RP'ers. I won't get too worked up about this but if they draft one more (1st 5 rds) this place will explode.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    In the lower minors, they actually do. So much so they can't find a rotation spot for Stephan Gonsalves and just now have made room for Thorpe and Romero.
    They start most high schoolers in rookie league. With respect to Cedar Rapids though... surely you aren't suggesting that guys like Montanez and Mildren are better than a top 50 draft pick?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    On a second thought, I like the pick.

He can replace Burton

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Unless he makes the team this year I'm just not impressed.

Good point, this pick was a combination of sign-ability and value. Give me Burdi over an Eades-esque pick any day of the week.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    What's this fast track talk? There's about a half dozen bullpen arms in Rochester calling BS every time Guerrier, Burton and Swarzak pitch. The country club is still clearly functioning.

22. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-05-2014)

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast