Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 1

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ok, that baseball prospectus chat is great
    Faleris has Kolek 11th on his board and Law has Nola going to the White Sox. Crazy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    The disappointment I think stems from his (seemingly) limited upside compared to others available. Obviously - all things equal - you want to pick the guy with #1 upside over #2 upside, and I think that many posters here see other candidates as having that #1 upside that Nola lacks.

I look at it as a "well, if you're all out of lobster, I guess I'll have the filet" situation. Nobody is disappointed that we're not drafting Aiken because we all know that we won't get him. I guess what it comes down to is that "disappointment" is relative. I'd put Nola in my minor league system in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't do it if it meant I couldn't have my top choice.
    My thoughts as well. Last off-season we signed Nolasco and Hughes, #2/3 starters. We almost had Garza too. Supply and demand issue.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Does the fact that there are waaaaaaaaaaaay more good pitchers available in the 2nd+ rounds change anyone's mind about taking hitting with pick 1? There isn't much hitting in this draft, from what I have read over the past month (and just read again now).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Does the fact that there are waaaaaaaaaaaay more good pitchers available in the 2nd+ rounds change anyone's mind about taking hitting with pick 1? There isn't much hitting in this draft, from what I have read over the past month (and just read again now).
    Not really. Just take BPA regardless of position. Twins arguably are a little light on impact hitters in the low minors so that would actually sway me more than how the draft is sitting but I'd still prefer BPA.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Spencer (Berkeley): As an admitted sofa-scout who's overdosed on youtube vids, scouting reports etc. Am I insane to have Touki near the top of "my pref list"? It seems like his ceiling approaches or even exceeds Kolek and Aiken; mechanics are solid-albeit inconsistent- and the stuff's electric.. that curve... Draft Day Chat with Nick J. Faleris: Touki is a worthy top five overall target, for me. I like the growth in his game over the last 18 months, lots of projection, relatively low-mileage on the arm, and you can't teach that spin rate on the curve.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Not really. Just take BPA regardless of position. Twins arguably are a little light on impact hitters in the low minors so that would actually sway me more than how the draft is sitting but I'd still prefer BPA.
    I agree. BPA in draft. However, I do think it is prudent for them to target bats by other avenues this year. If they end up trading veterans (Willingham, Suzuki, Correia), I hope they target position players rather than target more pitching like they have been for the last two years. The Span, Revere, Butera, Doumit, Morneau and Liriano trades yielded 7 pitchers and 2 hitters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    BPA for me, even if that means pitchers in the first five rounds.

Though to be fair, I'm so starved for front line pitching with this club I probably wouldn't say the same thing if it was hitter heavy and pitching weak.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    From Crawford's chat:

Comment From Nick
    If Gordon is off the board, who do you see the Twins selecting?

4:29
    Chris Crawford:
    I think they take Kolek if he's off the board. The rich get richer, either way. In the farm system, anyway.

Till I Collapse

9. This user likes InfraRen's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Comment From dose17
    Is the hit tool the biggest question mark on Nick Gordon's scouting report?

4:37
    Chris Crawford:
    I think the overall offensive upside is his biggest question. I think he's got a plus hit tool, and he has deceptive power, but industry doesn't completely agree.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    From Crawford's chat:

Comment From Nick
    If Gordon is off the board, who do you see the Twins selecting?

Chris Crawford:
    I think they take Kolek if he's off the board. The rich get richer, either way. In the farm system, anyway.

That's a good quote and a good reminder that the system is pretty strong, even with the front line injuries and last years graduations. Adding another top starter or legit shortstop is just gravy. Twins will probably have at least 6 top 100 guys next year (Buxton, Sano, Stewart, #5, Berrios, Thorpe). Maybe more.

12. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post

Chris Crawford:
    I think they take Kolek if he's off the board. The rich get richer, either way. In the farm system, anyway

Ha, nice backhanded compliment there.

14. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Comment From Matt
    When all is said and done who from this draft do you think will have the highest career WAR?

4:49
    Chris Crawford:
    WAR? Ew. Nerds.

4:50
    Chris Crawford:
    Had to be done. I think it'll actually be Gordon, just because of the defensive value. Could be Aiken though, for certain.

Anybody have interest in taking Hoffman with the 5th pick, he was rated number one before the TJ?

Senior Member All-Star
    Also, this on Thorpe:
    Comment From Ian
    Where would Lewis Thorpe (18 year old Australian in MN system) go in this draft?

Chris Crawford:
    Probably not today, but probably not around for very long on Friday.

18. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Comment From Kyle
    I like Nola more than Rodon, am I nuts?

4:53
    Chris Crawford:
    Nope, not nuts. I get it. I'll still take Rodon's chance to be special, though. Nola at his very best is a quality No. 3. Rodon could be a true ace, assuming his college coach didn't ruin him with work and the fastball command is where it was as a sophomore.

Also, Crawford has a big 4 of Aiken, Rodon, Gordon, and Kolek. No Jackson or Nola.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    No, injured guys tend to get injured again. And, contrary to myth, velocity does not pick up to pre-injury levels after TJ....it only seems that way because they were injured before we knew it, and had decreasing velocity.....no interest at all.

Not with other really, really good choices there.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    Anybody have interest in taking Hoffman with the 5th pick, he was rated number one before the TJ?
    Not me. Just too much talent up top that isn't going to miss the next year due to injury. Also, I think people forgot how inconsistent Hoffman was this year before the injury.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Also, this on Thorpe:
    Comment From Ian
    Where would Lewis Thorpe (18 year old Australian in MN system) go in this draft?

Chris Crawford:
    Probably not today, but probably not around for very long on Friday.

Not in the 1st two rounds? I'm suspect of that. I don't think that many GM's would reasonably believe more than a few pitchers in this draft could do what he did in rookie ball last year.

Maybe he thought the poster meant Ian Thorpe that Olympic swimmer.

I've stated in different threads that I wouldn't want anything to do with Gordon. His bat scares me bad, like real bad. Getting Florimon with #5 should scare a lot of people. I would love if they pounced on Jackson if he's there. Same with Kolek. Gotta go with monster upside. I hope the braintrust can be trusted to nab someone interesting with their #2 pick. Eades last year sucks, but Berrios rules. Personally, I would just bug the Cardinals war room and take whoever they would take!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And, contrary to myth, velocity does not pick up to pre-injury levels after TJ....it only seems that way because they were injured before we knew it, and had decreasing velocity.
    Chris Carpenter, Josh Johnson, and Tim Hudson - amongst others - disagree with this statement.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast