Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 1

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Don't look now, but Vielma has hit .340 over his last ~90PA. While 90 PA doesn't guarantee anything, perhaps it can knock the 'unequivocal' can't hit down a notch or two. Maybe the Twins knew something when they convinced KLaw that he was a real prospect.

That being said, I also think his hit tool (if it continues to develop) will be more like Ben Revere than Stephen Drew.
    He's hitting .272 now overall as a 19 year old in Class A (almost 2 years younger than the competition). Only 500 minor league plate appearances. He's got a great glove and he's very fast. More like Cristian Guzman at this point in that he has great speed, but not 'stolen base' speed (yet).

I think the thinking may be for the Twins, if we have solid SS prospects, can always trade them for a high return value.

I hope Gordon turns out well. He' is in the same 'mold' as what we have in our system now in the likes of Vielma, Polanco, Goodrum, etc.

He's not likely to hit like Buxton, Sano, or Rosario.

I think I would have still liked Jackson a bit more, but the Twins saw him 10+ times in person - so they had to have been in consensus on him.

Buxton was a can't miss. Kohl is looking good. Our late first and early 2nd rd picks haven't turned out that well of late (Travis Harrison, Hudson Boyd, Madison Boer, Luke Bard, JT Chargois, Mason Melotakis, Ryan Eades), with the exception of Berrios, so let's hope they can get a good one this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    There was a rumor earlier in the year that the Twins might try and sign Harrison under slot....doubt he falls all the way to 46 but its food for thought.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'm a HUGE Adams fan but I have a hard time seeing him fall that far. I'm guessing Mac Marshall.
    I'm surprised he got THIS far. Same with Reid-Foley. A guy can dream right?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'm a HUGE Adams fan but I have a hard time seeing him fall that far. I'm guessing Mac Marshall.
    I'm going to go with Joey Gatto.

I'd like Jacob Bukauskas, but I don't think he'll fall.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I'm surprised he got THIS far. Same with Reid-Foley. A guy can dream right?
    I hope your dream comes true! Also interesting that Gatewood is still around.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    I'm going to go with Joey Gatto.

I'd like Jacob Bukauskas, but I don't think he'll fall.
    I don't think he will sign.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the Twins have a comparable player already in their system: Engelb Vielma. I'd probably argue that Vielma's 3 good tools (the same with Gordon's) Defense, Arm, Speed are ahead of Gordon's, but he is 2 years older or so. Nobody had Vielma in the top 10 Twins' prospect lists this off-season, but I suspect that many will have Gordon, sight unseen.

Hope that he is the next Cal Ripken Jr, but totally disappointed by the pick...
    I really respect many of your takes but you may be reaching just a bit on this one. Gordon was easily a consensus top 10 pick in any teams eyes. If you could put Vielma in the draft right now with his current minor league track record & scouting. I have a hard time believing he even goes in the first two rounds.

He could be a hidden diamond in the rough but I don't see how he already eschews those comparisons with what he has shown.

I really don't want a college reliever as a their 2nd round pick. I'm hoping they pick a prep pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    So much talent left! This is seriously a deep draft. Hopefully some of it falls to us!

Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Derek Hill does not look excited to be drafted by Detroit. Though I can't say I blame him. "Congrats, kid! You were just picked in the first round of the draft, and your reward is ....a one way ticket to a postapocalyptic hellhole!"

$2 million will help, I suppose.

Ain't that the truth. There's a reason Ohioan's call it De-toilet.

Blog Entries
    Monte Harrison
    Michael Gettys
    ??

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Monte Harrison
    Michael Gettys
    ??
    Jacob Gatewood
    Spencer Adams

13. This user likes markos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Yeah it's getting pretty surprising that some of these high school guys are falling this far

Id love Gatewood, if he gets to us, but would be take another SS??? I think he prolly projects better as a 3rd basemen, or maybe OF???

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Gate wood has no chance to be a SS....and he just went.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I would have been happy with Gatewood too. He's a Brewer now. 4 more picks...then the Twins.

would be thrilled if they get Monte Harrison

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I asked Mr. Nygaard about Monte Harrison a while ago, and he said he was a first day talent that he could see dropping out of the first round. Good job on that one, Jeremy.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

next 4, Foley, Adams, Harrison, Burdi

21. This user likes blairpaul715's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I'd like Reid-Foley to drop to us.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast