Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dazzle Man... Not So Dazzling Tonight

The Dazzle Man... Not So Dazzling Tonight

I caught the top of the 7th inning on the radio tonight in the car and my wife and I were both left yelling at Dan Gladden. I love the guy, but he kills me sometimes with his lack of description. The way he handled play-by-play duties were as if he and I were sitting next to each other at the game and he just reacted to things he saw.

When Jason Kubel pinch-hit, Gladden said something to the effect of this... "And here's a little pop-up, Braun comes in, Gennett goes out and lunges for it. Wow. And Gomez just standing there with his arms crossed. Braun just gave up on that ball!"

What happened? Did Gennett end up catching the ball? Is Kubel on first? How was Gomez involved at all? We never found out! He literally never came back around to tell us what happened! Only after I got home and looked at MLB Gameday did I find out Kubel's pop out was caught by Gennett.

Next batter was Danny Santana, and again Gladden very lazily made the call. "A wicked short-hop liner here off the bat of Santana, wow. Hit that ball on the screws, to the right of second base. Watch out. And here comes Dozier to bat."

At this point I'm wondering what happened to Santana. Is he out? Did Gennett throw him out at first, or was Kubel on first and forced at second? Did anyone get out? Was it a hit?

I get it, Dazzle is a color guy thrown into a few innings of play-by-play to spare Provus or Atteberry, but dude... give me something! I'm not asking for a John Gordon scorecard reading of 4-3 on the putout, but a simple "hit" or "out" would suffice! Only after Dozier walked and then Mauer was retired did we find out how many outs there even were in the inning.

I've been listening to games for over 20 years and that was the single worst inning of announcing I can recall.
    Last edited by glanzer; 06-03-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That wasn't all. He had Reynolds struck out on strike two in the bottom of the inning. Every outfielder "puts it away", no description at all of exactly what type of catch is made. Also, some "jam shots" go 350 feet and others don't make it out of the infield.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    He's brutal. This sounds like an average game. Even Provous was bad tonight. I caught the 5th inning and he had Uecker in the booth. They couldn't be interrupted from reminiscing to bother with any play-by-play except Dozier's HR.

Herb Carneal and John Gordon both slipped in their final years behind the mike. But they're miles better than what we have now. Truthfully I don't mind Provous normally, but insisting on Gladden doing play-by-play for 3-4 innings ruins it.

4. This user likes howeda7's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (06-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    I'm a Gladden guy but he sometimes gets so wrapped up in being "Gladden the action hero" that he forgets to do play by play during his innings. Very hard to stomach. Add to that Uecker tonight, who is his own legend and is himself terrible at play by play, and you got the makings of a disaster. Kind of glad I didn't hear it.

Like just about everyone else in this org, Gladden needs a "come to Jesus or else" talking to , from someone.

6. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-04-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    He's brutal. This sounds like an average game. Even Provous was bad tonight. I caught the 5th inning and he had Uecker in the booth. They couldn't be interrupted from reminiscing to bother with any play-by-play except Dozier's HR.

Herb Carneal and John Gordon both slipped in their final years behind the mike. But they're miles better than what we have now. Truthfully I don't mind Provous normally, but insisting on Gladden doing play-by-play for 3-4 innings ruins it.
    Extra guy in the video booth usually turns out to be somebody whose input is like someone mumbling out random numbers while you're preparing a tax return. Extra guy in the radio booth is like a passenger screaming at you while you're driving.

Anyway, Gladden is a likeable dual championship Twin, which puts him in elite company. There is no other reason why his ramblings about the Twins are broadcast, let alone bought and sold.

Agreed Gladden drives me crazy. I think he intentionally does it. He wants listeners to figure things out on their own. He routinely leaves me frustrated.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 656 Times in 369 Posts
    "Tonight" in this thread title should get replaced with "Always." His play by play is an insult to radio baseball broadcasting.

10. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (06-04-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Once drove nearly 30 miles without Gladden mentioning the score. And no, wasn't doing 200 mph.

12. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

golfboy1 (06-04-2014), snepp (06-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Once drove nearly 30 miles without Gladden mentioning the score. And no, wasn't doing 200 mph.
    I think he has gotten a little better with that - but that has driven me crazy when I have turned the game on after it has started-- commercial breaks have come and gone -- innings have ended and started and no score given... I have driven all the way home without any idea of what the score is.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    The next time I have the time to do it, I'm going to try to do a "literal" scorecard based on the radio play-by-play. I think it will look hilarious. I'll scan and post the results.

15. These 2 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

deanlambrecht (06-04-2014), woolywoolhouse (06-04-2014)

Last year 96.3 K-TWIN started posting the inning, score, and a few details ("Two On, Two Out") via the car's radio dial screen. This year it hasn't been that detailed, as it usually just says the inning and a reminder of which two teams are playing. I'm not saying that has everything or even anything to do with the lack of score-updating... but maybe it's a tiny piece?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Also, some "jam shots" go 350 feet and others don't make it out of the infield.
    This makes an awesome drinking game. Particularly if you call the drink a "jam shot". Just don't make it very strong or you will die of alcohol poisoning after just an inning or two.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 371 Times in 231 Posts
    Gladden isn't the best but I think he has improved over the last couple of years. Though there are still some brutal moments. Too many brutal moments I suppose.

What gets me is how much Provous gets out of his way. He's supposed to be the pro and I swear there are ten minute stretches when he is supposedly in the booth where he doesn't say a word. The color/play-by-play dynamic is severely blurred here sometimes.

I don't want to take this off track, but man I miss sitting on the lake at dusk and listening to Herb Carneal call a game, and Ray Christensen calling Gopher sports as well while I'm at it. I even miss little moments of down time where you were allowed to hear the buzz of the crowd in the background.

20. This user likes boney's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (06-04-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    This makes an awesome drinking game. Particularly if you call the drink a "jam shot". Just don't make it very strong or you will die of alcohol poisoning after just an inning or two.
    something like this?
    http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/...ktail-recipes/

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

He is terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    I can not understand why Chris wasnt chosen instead of Corey Provus..but Gladden might as well be broacasting a garden growing...
    Who else cringes when Provus proclaims with TWINS GREAT Dan Gladden?

Quote Originally Posted by huhguy View Post
    I can not understand why Chris wasnt chosen instead of Corey Provus..but Gladden might as well be broacasting a garden growing...
    Who else cringes when Provus proclaims with TWINS GREAT Dan Gladden?
    I don't cringe at that nearly as hard as when I hear: "And now for the play by play....the Dazzle Man Dan Gladden!"

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it's just me but I don't mind Provus.

Then again, my expectations for announcers are pretty low. I consider most to be pretty bad at their jobs, excepting the greats like Scully.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like him as a color guy, but why do they insist on using him for play-by-play? He was bad at it from the get go. And he learned from a guy who never let the game get in the way of a good story (Gordon). When they were both in the booth, it was like listening to two guys at a bar who happened to have the game on in the background, but the topic was their golf games or their motorcycle outings or whatever. About half the time, they mentioned the game, but rarely the count, the score, number of outs, or who was batting. And Gordon was wrong about those facts as often as he was right.

Provus has been a godsend, keeping Danny on track and filling in the gaps where he can. But the reason they have Gladden doing play-by-play is to give Provus a break. Why not have Provus and Attebarry trade off on play-by-play and keep Gladden to color? I suppose it's a travel thing. They'd rather have Chris in the producer's chair back home. Three-person teams are pretty rare. I just wish Gladden took the play-by-play job more seriously, recognizing that people need the basics (count, score, outs, etc.) to track games while doing other things (driving, puttering in the garage, etc.).
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I don't mind Provus.

Then again, my expectations for announcers are pretty low. I consider most to be pretty bad at their jobs, excepting the greats like Scully.
    Provus is great. The problem is the frequency at which he is relieved by Gladden's god awful attempt at PBP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast