Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benson to AA Florimon to AAA

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 511 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I liked what I saw of Florimon in ST. He's a bigger guy (6'2") who wouldn't be played shallow by all the outfielders like Revere, Carroll and a host of other middle infielders. Florimon's main problem has always been making good contact, so let's hope he fares well at Rochester.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,195 Times in 638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Trading Span may be our best bet. To get quality players/prospects we have to trade assets. We dont have many tradeable assets--Mauer has a no-trade clause and a HUGE BURDENSOME contract, Willingham may be the worst defensive OF the Twins have ever had, Morneau is untradeable due to health concerns, Carroll is 38. Whats left--Valencia and Span and the future like Parmalee and Dozier. Revere and Benson can play CF--Span is our most tradeable asset that could bring us a good starter.
    Revere maybe, and that's a BIG maybe, sure Benson can play CF but how do you replace Span's bat with a guy hitting .179 and strikes out an average of 100 times a year? I agree Span will bring the best return but I shudder to think what that does to an offense that already can't get a hit, let alone score a run.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Not quite... As a lead-off hitter he should be getting on base on a decent clip, steal bases and score runs, right?

so far:
    Span: .361 OBP, .743 OPS. 3/5 in SB attempts. Scored 9 R runs in 119 PAs
    Average MLB leadoff hitter: .251/.315/.371 (.686 OPS), 70% SB success rate. In order for Span to score, somebody has to drive him in.

As for Benson, I know he's been struggling, but he has nothing left to prove at AA. Good for Florimon, though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Richter View Post
    Average MLB leadoff hitter: .251/.315/.371 (.686 OPS), 70% SB success rate. In order for Span to score, somebody has to drive him in.

As for Benson, I know he's been struggling, but he has nothing left to prove at AA. Good for Florimon, though.
    Perhaps there are things that can be done at AA other than proving something.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not quite... As a lead-off hitter he should be getting on base on a decent clip, steal bases and score runs, right?

so far:
    Willingham, Mauer, Morneau have better OPS. Willingham and Mauer have better OBP as well... So there are at least 3 hitters who are better than him right now (or 2 with Morneau in the DL)

Casilla is 5/5 in SB attempts and scored 7 runs in 80 PAs and Doumit 8 runs in 80 PAs. Even Valencia scored 9 runs in 91 PAs and Morneau 9 in 83.

So others are stealing bases and scoring runs on a better rate than him.

Just too much Span love recently...
    Aside from homering or stealing home, how the hell is Span's run total not indicative of players batting behind when he is on? Good grief.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I promise, I am done talking about Span and trading him . . . .

With regard to Benson, this kind of thing is precisely why I like rational promotions late in the season. Benson belonged in AAA by late July last year. Maybe he wouldn't be struggling so much this year if he had 100 plate appearances there last year???? And Parmelee . . . oh my god. Ben Revere was harmed by not spending more time at Rochester, and I fear the same for Parmelee.

Good for Florimon. With Mastroianni and Ramirez, I really like some of the minor league signings . . .

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,195 Times in 638 Posts

so far:
    Willingham, Mauer, Morneau have better OPS. Willingham and Mauer have better OBP as well... So there are at least 3 hitters who are better than him right now (or 2 with Morneau in the DL)

Casilla is 5/5 in SB attempts and scored 7 runs in 80 PAs and Doumit 8 runs in 80 PAs. Even Valencia scored 9 runs in 91 PAs and Morneau 9 in 83.

So others are stealing bases and scoring runs on a better rate than him.

Just too much Span love recently...
    ??????????????????WTF...too much misleading use of statistics to invent reasons to complain about Denard Span. Oranges are really apples if we just pretend that they are.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Benson will be a solid big-leaguer--too out of control. I've made this analogy before: a great athlete who has a hard time with the game. Like a hockey player who is very skilled, can skate, shoot , etc.--but, when the game starts he has a hard time. Billy Beane is an example of this type of player. Hope I'm wrong!

signing of Matt Carson & to a lesser extent Wilkin Ramirez to strengthen the minor leagues have blocked Benson. Now, he has done nothing in AAA to make his case but MN has screwed him by keeping him in AA for 2 seasons.
    However, if there was a need for him.....AND he plays well in New Brit, they can call him up from there.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    signing of Matt Carson & to a lesser extent Wilkin Ramirez to strengthen the minor leagues have blocked Benson. Now, he has done nothing in AAA to make his case but MN has screwed him by keeping him in AA for 2 seasons.
    However, if there was a need for him.....AND he plays well in New Brit, they can call him up from there.
    Believe me... Matt Carson, Wilkin Ramirez... No one... is blocking Joe Benson.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If the Twins don't trade their best asset in Span, they likely will be looking at an extra year or two before returning to the top, and Span won't be here anyway. The minors have more prospects at the dish than the mound, the Twins need to fine some starting pitching. Span Will be traded by mid July.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Believe me... Matt Carson, Wilkin Ramirez... No one... is blocking Joe Benson.
    True Dat x 100

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    If the Twins don't trade their best asset in Span, they likely will be looking at an extra year or two before returning to the top, and Span won't be here anyway. The minors have more prospects at the dish than the mound, the Twins need to fine some starting pitching. Span Will be traded by mid July.
    I think Span is excellent. He is one of/or my favorite player on this team, but if anyone thinks that the Twins will get a Hunter Pence ransom for him are sorely mistaken. A Michael Bourne return is more likely if even that. If that is the case it makes no sense to trade him as you are essentially giving him away or trading him for another teams washed up prospect(s) - AKA Jordan Schafer (His Consecutive games with getting on base is a fluke). "F" that!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    I don't see Span getting a starting pitcher of any high quality back, and I also don't see their franchise returning to the top for a couple years anyway. I'm actually going to be optimistic regarding Scott Diamond, Gibson, and maybe Hendriks (after more time in the minors) in that timeframe, which would be an interesting pitching nucleus. On the other hand, nabbing a couple more starting pitching prospects other ways would allow them to hedge their bets. Not sure or not if teams will trade that for Span.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12