Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singleton's extension

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 06-03-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Will the Twins be so proactive?

Should they?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like it... and it shows why worrying about Eddie Rosario is a little silly at this point.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice Hedge. The contract likely will either be a Joe Mays contract or a real bargain.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    The other side of the coin is that he is now set for life, removing all downside risk.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I like it... and it shows why worrying about Eddie Rosario is a little silly at this point.
    The obvious candidate is Buxton, in my opinion. He is not going to lose his speed or arm over the next 7-8 years. So lets say the hit tool fails in the big leagues, which nobody is predicting. You have a CF that hits .260 with 8 HR, steals 30-40 bases and plays gold glove defense in center field. For $30M over 8 years or something like that. I am guessing it would cost more, but you get the point.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if I'm a fan of signing a guy before he reaches MLB or if I think it's premature.

Either way, an interesting study on how to handle prospect extensions. I'll enjoy watching how it plays out.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Singleton isn't a first rounder, that already has lots of money and pedigree and expectations all over him (though some expectations have been created on and off while he's been in the minors). Buxton, or any other highly ranked prospect, isn't doing this in a million years.
    Lighten up Francis....

Well if I am a prospect that was drafted high and received a big million dollar bonus to sign, I would be less likely to sign this kind of deal, especially if I believe in my own abilities and I am a fielder and not a pitcher.........Singleton as not a big bonus baby, and I , like him, couldn't turn down the chance for life changing money..........circumstances are different for each instance.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Singleton isn't a first rounder, that already has lots of money and pedigree and expectations all over him (though some expectations have been created on and off while he's been in the minors). Buxton, or any other highly ranked prospect, isn't doing this in a million years.
    well u beat me to basically saying the same thing

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    well u beat me to basically saying the same thing
    Never in a million years? I raise you the following. Not all were top 5 picks, but some were and they all had huge expectations when they signed. The deals in the 5/30 range had 1 or 2 more years of service time than the Singleton deal when they were signed

Longoria - 9 years, $44M
    Matt Moore - 5 years, $14M with opitions at 7M, 9M, and 10M
    Chris Sale - 5 years $32M, two options at $13M a year
    Madison Bumarter - 5 years, $35M, 12M option
    Paul Goldschmidt - 5 years, $32M, 14M option
    Andrew Mccutchen - 6 years, $51M, option at $14M

Liked 1,284 Times in 742 Posts
    Calceterra did a pretty good job exploring a couple of different views of the deal:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ingleton-deal/

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Never in a million years? I raise you the following. Not all were top 5 picks, but some were and they all had huge expectations when they signed. The deals in the 5/30 range had 1 or 2 more years of service time than the Singleton deal when they were signed

Longoria - 9 years, $44M
    Matt Moore - 5 years, $14M with opitions at 7M, 9M, and 10M
    Chris Sale - 5 years $32M, two options at $13M a year
    Madison Bumarter - 5 years, $35M, 12M option
    Paul Goldschmidt - 5 years, $32M, 14M option
    Andrew Mccutchen - 6 years, $51M, option at $14M
    You are quoting the wrong person, I said it was dependent of each situation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    You are quoting the wrong person, I said it was dependent of each situation.
    Mike said Buxton isn't doing it in a million years. You said "i was going to say the same thing"

While there aren't any guarantees, I would also doubt that Buxton would sign a long-term deal pre-callup.

He has already pocketed a $6 million signing bonus so many of the issues facing Singleton just aren't there.

Might the Twins be able to buy out some of his pre-arb and arbitration years? I think that could happen but I doubt if it happens before he plays a game at the major league level.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Calceterra did a pretty good job exploring a couple of different views of the deal:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ingleton-deal/

Yeah...just listen to the union and not your agent. That is a new one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    While there aren't any guarantees, I would also doubt that Buxton would sign a long-term deal pre-callup.

He has already pocketed a $6 million signing bonus so many of the issues facing Singleton just aren't there.

Might the Twins be able to buy out some of his pre-arb and arbitration years? I think that could happen but I doubt if it happens before he plays a game at the major league level.
    I agree, I would think something could happen in his first year, maybe his second as the Twins tend to be conservative. I would think something in the Mccutchen range. A deal in in the 6/50 range that could be worth 7/65 or 8/80 with options, going to age 29 or 30.

Mike said Buxton isn't doing it in a million years. You said "i was going to say the same thing"
    If you read my quote, and apparently you didn't, basically agreeing that he doesn't have the money or pedigree.......but read what you want into it.

I agree, I would think something could happen in his first year, maybe his second as the Twins tend to be conservative. I would think something in the Mccutchen range. A deal in in the 6/50 range that could be worth 7/65 or 8/80 with options, going to age 29 or 30.
    Well if we wait till after year 2, and we hope that he is the next Mike Trout, and I know some people think he is......it will take the same or more of what Trout got 6yrs/$144.5 million

Rosenthal has some interesting perspective from other agents:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/r...-winner-060314

Skip past the Cargo stuff to the middle of the piece.

This could turn out to be a bad deal for Singleton. It could also turn out to be a bad deal for the Astros should he be injured, revert to bad habits (he now has money that might make those bad habits even more available) or not develop as thought.

It seems like there was risk on both sides of this deal. And that is usually what ultimately makes deals happen.

Edit and P.S.: Just as a matter of interest read further in Rosenthal's notes to the effect of shifts on Matt Joyce. Sound familiar???
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 06-03-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast