Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singleton's extension

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    If you read my quote, and apparently you didn't, basically agreeing that he doesn't have the money or pedigree.......but read what you want into it.
    Here is the entire response and quote: You did not specify that your comment only pertained to 30% of what Mike said and what part. I did read your quote but I am not a mind reader.

Originally Posted by mike wants wins
    Singleton isn't a first rounder, that already has lots of money and pedigree and expectations all over him (though some expectations have been created on and off while he's been in the minors). Buxton, or any other highly ranked prospect, isn't doing this in a million years.

You: well u beat me to basically saying the same thing

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    Well if we wait till after year 2, and we hope that he is the next Mike Trout, and I know some people think he is......it will take the same or more of what Trout got 6yrs/$144.5 million
    The Trout deal made no sense for the Angels. They got no discount at all and gave him $24M a year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    The Trout deal made no sense for the Angels. They got no discount at all and gave him $24M a year.
    I'm thinking the discount with Trout was not losing him to the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. when a bidding war took place. I suppose that is a calculated risk based upon his abilities
    Last edited by LimestoneBaggy; 06-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    I'm thinking the discount with Trout was no losing him to the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. when a bidding war took place. I suppose that is a calculated risk based upon his abilities
    I was just pointing out that they didn't get a discount on those arbitration years, or neccesarily in free agency. The last two years he will make $35M and $38M. Cabrera is the highest paid player in the league at $31M a year and it took over 7 years to increase that from $27M to $31M (A Rod in 2007 to now).

The other team friendly, longer term deals you saw some cheap buyouts. Chris Sale for example will make $13M a year for the first two years of free agency when pitchers like Felix and Verlander are making $27M a year.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Given the Angels' recent track record of only paying top dollar for decline phase years, I won't fault them for paying for seasons when a player might actually be, you know, productive.

The Angels over the past five years have been the very definition of "a fool and his money..."

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Calceterra did a pretty good job exploring a couple of different views of the deal:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ingleton-deal/
    This author really hit it out of the park. The union often whines about things it ultimately had a say in. No veteran player who has actively agreed to screwing over amateurs and minor leaguers should be denouncing this.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Interesting analysis of the probabilities re the contract:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...ontract#!VwKyj

The interesting thing though, is that while teams may minimize their risks by entering into more of these contracts, the player still has that interest in guaranteeing his long-term future (even if he could have gotten more without the contract).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12