Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Thorpe to Cedar Rapids

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lewis Thorpe to Cedar Rapids

https://twitter.com/SethTweets/statu...87340728729600

Following today's Cedar Rapids Kernels game, Jake Mauer informed media at the game that Felix Jorge and Derrick Penilla would be heading back to Extended Spring Training though he didn't know officially who was coming up.

I was able to confirm this afternoon that Thorpe had been promoted to Cedar Rapids.

Will there be a 2nd player? We'll find out. There is talk that Fernando Romero could be promoted. Some have guessed Stephen Gonsalves.

It's also possible that Yorman Landa could come off of the Disabled List.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Confirmed: Romero joins the Kernels.

Haven't been informed yet how they'll be used.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Cool, good luck to Thorpe. Too bad about Jorge.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Romero hasn't even played in the Appy league yet. Not that its a big deal or anything. I just assumed Gonsalves would get the call 1st. Maybe Romero has just outshined him by a decent margin throughout EST. Looking forward to seeing what these kids can do in the Midwest League.

Too bad about Jorge. Hopefully he can fix whatever has gone terribly wrong this year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From my 8-days in Ft. Myers this spring, I thought Fernando was as impressive as anyone in the organization, including Kohl Stewart... Seeing that 95-96 on the radar gun was fun, but he's got a slider too. Very intrigued by him...

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No problems with any of this, just a little disappointed and surprised to not see Gonsalves yet. Hope there is no bad news we haven't heard about yet.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty excited about this. The Thorpe promotion and Romero. I read a couple reports, one from Seth or TD and another, perhpas minor league ball and Romero looked great in ST.

If Berrios continues his dominance and you get Thorpe and Romero showing a handle on 'A' this year, could make for an interesting June/July 2015.

Senior Member All-Star
    Here's mlbpipeline's report on Romero:

"Romero has the stuff to be a starter. How much he can transition from being a thrower to a pitcher will determine if he can reach that ceiling.

The Dominican teenager can light up a radar gun, has plus action on his breaking ball and he has a workable changeup. The most consistent hard thrower in the system other than Alex Meyer, Romero could have a 70 fastball out of the bullpen, and his approach and style point to a life as a future reliever. He's starting to understand what it takes preparation and conditioning wise to be successful long-term, and he is realizing that there's more to his craft than just throwing hard.
    The Twins will let Romero start for now, try to get him innings and increase his pitchability in the hopes a starter can emerge, but a career as a setup man is more likely"

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Is Romero going to start out of the gate? If he's going to start in the pen, perhaps that's why he got the nod over Gonsalves.

Aren't we still waiting for Yorman Landa to get a chance to start? Unless he's already been written off, the CR rotation is still kind of full to promote two new starters.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hearing from source that both Romero and Thorpe WILL be in the rotation. The exact rotation isn't decided yet, but could look something like Slegers, Romero, Eades, Thorpe, Mildren, Stewart.

Probably won't know for sure for a day or two, since today is an off/travel day. But if that does turn out to be the rotation, it would mean Romero debuts in Wisconsin Thursday and Thorpe in Kane County on Saturday.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thorpe goes to Cedar Rapids, eh?

An aggressive promotion for a team that often catches flak for its slow promotion of prospects. The guy is 18 and is now in low A.

Senior Member All-Star
    It's amazing. Stewart was the youngest pitcher in the league and Thorpe is 13 months younger than him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Hearing from source that both Romero and Thorpe WILL be in the rotation. The exact rotation isn't decided yet, but could look something like Slegers, Romero, Eades, Thorpe, Mildren, Stewart.

Probably won't know for sure for a day or two, since today is an off/travel day. But if that does turn out to be the rotation, it would mean Romero debuts in Wisconsin Thursday and Thorpe in Kane County on Saturday.
    Looking like a great rotation down there.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Looks like I will be heading over to Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Saturday to catch that Cougars matchup!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

An aggressive promotion for a team that often catches flak for its slow promotion of prospects. The guy is 18 and is now in low A.
    I agree and can only conclude that Thorpe has looked VERY sharp and prepared in EST. That makes me all the more excited to see what he can do.

I was sorry to see Felix Jorge get battered like he did but I am happy that he has been sent back to EST to rest and regroup. Things were not turning around for him in CR.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Jorge was sitting at 88-89 last week in relief when I saw a game. Between him and Eades it was a pretty disappointing night for pitching. Eades had an overpowering fastball for the low A hitters but I'm not sure if he made one hitter look foolish with a breaking pitch or changeup.

I'm very excited about Lewis Thorpe.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Wow, that is really bad news regarding Jorge's fastball. He may not have a specific injury, but something must be contributing to his decreased velocity. How was his extension?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Think about this way... If he was a US citizen, he'd be in this year's draft as a HS prep guy.

Also of note, according to scouts, he'd be a first rounder too. It's looking like the Twins really got something good here.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Media Notes just distributed by the Kernels confirm the new rotation as:

Romero (1st start) tonight @ Wisconsin
    Eades Friday @ Wisconsin
    Thorpe (1st start) Saturday @ Kane County
    Mildren Sunday @ KC
    Stewart Monday @ KC

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Media Notes just distributed by the Kernels confirm the new rotation as:

Romero (1st start) tonight @ Wisconsin
    Eades Friday @ Wisconsin
    Thorpe (1st start) Saturday @ Kane County
    Mildren Sunday @ KC
    Stewart Monday @ KC
    Do you think it will be Slegers on (Tuesday) then to complete the 6-man rotation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast